Scooter is at the vet tonight

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Beagle mix, Scooter, had been having bloody diarrhea today and was really lethargic, so we took him to the vet tonight. The vet decided to keep him overnight. He had a temperature of 106, the vet said he has no parasites of any kind, but other than that he has no clue what's going on, but is leaning towards Parvo. They're hooking him up to IVs and a catheter... he said they'll run every blood test they've got, get his temperature down, and start him on broad spectrum antibiotics to see if anything helps. He just said to call in the morning, and we'll just hope he makes it through the night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he had his series of puppy shots. He's only 5 months old, which is the main reason the vet is thinking about Parvo.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has parvo- please make sure that start him on Flagyl immedately!!!! That is very important. Also- parvo has a VERY unique odor in feces. What did his poo smell like (not being weird). - The IV is also very important as if he has parvo, the loss of fluids can be bad. So it sounds like the vet is on top of everything. Also- how old is he? (the younger ones always seem to get it more often, but none of them are immunue if they have not been properly vaccinated. even then with the vaccine- it's not 100% guranteed they won't get it...it just reduces the odds.) You did a great job getting him to the vet asap. Also- the ONLY way to really kill Parvo and the most cost efficient is to use bleach. EVERYTHING this animal has come in contact with must be bleached (Collars included!) If you need to use it in your house- use color safe bleach and dilute it with water- then put it in a spray bottle and mist everything. Be sure that you get the bottom of all your shoes as well as that is one of the quickest way to spred it. Also if you have a yard- you need to bleach it with bleach/water on a sprayer hose so that you kill the virus if its parvo. (and since the water dilutes it a bit it might not kill all the grass. but even so- it may save another animals life so its worth it. the grass will grow back.) Please know i'm not saying this to scare you, just help. I work at a shelter and have seen first hand the devistating effects parvo can cause if not treated swiftly. I'm sending lots of prayers and vibes your way. (also- its good that the vet kept him if he suspected parvo- so he can keep him isolated and away from other animals and on an iv/flagyl /etc.

Also- you must clean all household cleaning items if this animal has been near them- sponges, brooms, mops, etc.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for Scooter, I hope he is ok, please let us know how he is doing.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Scooter, sending you many many good vibes, and get better vibes
I hope you feel better soon

Please keep us updated

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet as soon as they opened. The vet was in with a client, and the receptionist didn't know much. She said he did make it through the night though, yay! The vet is supposed to call me as soon as he's not busy but she said not to expect it to be any time soon because he'll be in surgery until 5 p.m. I'm really hoping he'll be ok, and I'm also getting nervous about the possible cost. This is a great vet, and he has really reasonable prices when it comes to shots and stuff, but we don't really have thousands of dollars to spend right now. John loves the animals, but he's the one that's paying for all of this and I'm scared he'll get mad if it ends up costing too much. So please keep the vibes coming for Scooter and fingers crossed that the vet bill doesn't get too high. I'll keep everyone updated.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting slightly frustrated. I still haven't heard anything from the vet, so I called again a few minutes ago. They said he's still hanging in there, but refused to tell me anything more. The nurse said that the vet is still in surgery and will call me later whenever he gets a chance. I asked if she could at least tell me what they found wrong, but she said only the vet could talk to me about it. I have no clue why and it's very frustrating, I just want to know what's going on.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending many prayers and vibes for Scooter.{{{{
}}}}

I know what its like to worry about your baby and the vet bill all at once..its rather heartwrenching.

When Trout was sick, we set a limit of what we could spend on making her better..then we kept raising the limit..and kept raising it..then we realized we would pay anything, and we were kidding ourselves thinking we would set a limit on her life.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the vet gets of of surgery soon. I will keep sending VIBES that it's good news.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I'm getting slightly frustrated. I still haven't heard anything from the vet, so I called again a few minutes ago. They said he's still hanging in there, but refused to tell me anything more. The nurse said that the vet is still in surgery and will call me later whenever he gets a chance. I asked if she could at least tell me what they found wrong, but she said only the vet could talk to me about it. I have no clue why and it's very frustrating, I just want to know what's going on.
try not to get too freaked out right now honey. i know at our shelter on thurs (our spay/neuter day) we stay busy from the time we open until the time we close. any phone calls made for the vet are usually done right before we close. i would try and call back right before the vets office closes you might have a better chance of getting in touch with them. most secretaries do not answer questions like that because the honestly don't know what's going on in the back of the clinic. it's the vets and techs that do everything back there. you might could as to speak with the technician who is helping with your dog- you might get a faster response that way
i hope all goes well. please talk to your vet about putting him on Flagyl if he hasn't already been started on this.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Still sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for Scooter, please let us know when you find out something.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet finally called me this evening. The vet said he's still fighting. Scooter's white blood count is excellent... he does not have Parvo. Which is good news, but the vet still doesn't have a clue what's wrong. He said two of his levels are a little high and he's concerned about that but for the most part his blood chemistry came back excellent. He said he's still on IVs for fluids and meds, they went ahead and wormed him just to be on the safe side. He's keeping him at least tonight and has no clue how many more nights they'll have to keep him. He says it's a pretty serious infection that's attacking him, but he can't figure it out.
And asked him if he could go ahead and give me an estimate on the bill so we can be prepared. He said that the majority of the money has already been spent, they may add a little more on to it... but the bill stands at $150 at the moment which is an ENORMOUS relief!! I was seriously expecting $500+, it may top out at about $200, which really isn't bad.
Keep sending those vibes for Scooter please! We greatly appreciate them!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The vet finally called me this evening. The vet said he's still fighting. Scooter's white blood count is excellent... he does not have Parvo. Which is good news, but the vet still doesn't have a clue what's wrong. He said two of his levels are a little high and he's concerned about that but for the most part his blood chemistry came back excellent. He said he's still on IVs for fluids and meds, they went ahead and wormed him just to be on the safe side. He's keeping him at least tonight and has no clue how many more nights they'll have to keep him. He says it's a pretty serious infection that's attacking him, but he can't figure it out.
And asked him if he could go ahead and give me an estimate on the bill so we can be prepared. He said that the majority of the money has already been spent, they may add a little more on to it... but the bill stands at $150 at the moment which is an ENORMOUS relief!! I was seriously expecting $500+, it may top out at about $200, which really isn't bad.
Keep sending those vibes for Scooter please! We greatly appreciate them!
Even though it's still a mystery I am so happy. I honestly was expecting bad news since it was taking so long for them to call back. That is a pretty cheap bill
I hope they find something that works for the infection