Sergeants Vetscription

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ear Mite & Tick Treatment

Okay I have heard about numerous pet deaths in the result of using Sergeantâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s products namely their fleaâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s treatment.

This concerns the use of this product on a kitten a 10 week old I believe. This is my sister cat. She doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know much about pet care and doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care to know. I have tried to enlighten her on the matter but she couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care less perhaps. Personally, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know much about how to provide for a kitten since Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve only taken care of an adult cat and would like someone to provide any helpful information about the use of this product.

Sergeant seems to imply that this product is vet approved. So sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s going on the consensus of that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call a vet and ask... if this is for ear mite s and ear Ticks then a vet will best advice

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a problem common to all over-the-counter parasite (flea/mite/tick) treatments. They are all dangerous.

Has the kitten been to the vet yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes... I've told my sister to call a vet but she didn't budge to do so. I was going to do so anyway but it's too late here in the evening.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zissou's Mom. My sister definitely doesn’t care to do that. Her boyfriend paid for this cat at a shop when the cat was about 5 weeks. And the shop guaranteed the health of this little one. So, they’re going on that. And the only thing that seems to be wrong with her is the ear mites. So, they're just acting upon that.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most over-the counter products that are used for ticks have permethrin in them. Its this that is very deadly to cats. It can actually kill a cat in a matter of hours. Its fine to use in dogs, but if a cat even rubs up against a dog that has just had it applied, it can be deadly. Read the label and it should say what is in it. Then you can check online, or post on here what it is, and find out if its ok or not.
I do know that alot of sergeants products do contain permethrin though.
Just tell your friend to get some revolution. It works much quicker, and much better.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The active ingredients are pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical. This stuff has a strong smell. It has that burning feel to your eyes and nose. I just read that it's authorized not to be used on a cat that's younger than 12 weeks and their cat doesn't fit the requirements. - I have expressed that this product probably wasn't safe and that some of this company products have been responsible for pet deaths. And my sister seems to concur. But I can't monitor her and her boyfriend to make sure that remains so.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really too bad that your sister isn't listening to you. You seem to know what you are talking about and she should take advantage of that.

BTW, you are right by me, I am in Kent. Can I ask (and you don't have to post it here) what pet shop she got the kitten from? Just PM me if you like because I am really curious.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will get back to you on that. I’ll have to ask her. Hopefully her or her b/f remembers.

And were practically neighbors so I understand why you would like to know about this pet shop.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kisabre

Zissou's Mom. My sister definitely doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care to do that. Her boyfriend paid for this cat at a shop when the cat was about 5 weeks. And the shop guaranteed the health of this little one. So, theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re going on that. And the only thing that seems to be wrong with her is the ear mites. So, they're just acting upon that.
A guarantee of health does not excuse them from regular care. Rabies shots are required by law. If the cat has fleas, she probably has worms too.

No offense to your sister, but it doesn't sound like she understands what pet ownership is.

There are low-cost clinics near Akron that will do all the shots and everything, spay/neuters for less than 50$. If they aren't willing to take their kitten to a vet even once in its life, maybe you should try to convince them to take it to a no-kill shelter or re-home it. I can tell you truly care about cats and this kitten in particular, it must be very hard for you to watch someone you love not understand how to treat animals. We're here for you if you need us.