Flea problem...product not working

princesskiki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got my new kitten Saturday. Sunday I discovered she was crawling in fleas. Monday I bought some Hartz One Spot Control (which I later found out is not good for cats and has actually caused death in some animals, Im monitoring Baby closely)
My real question is since the Hartz didnt work how long do I have to wait before applying another treatmetn such has Advantage or Frontline?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest talking to your vet about this. I would also go to them for a flea treatment.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wholeheartedly agree about any over-the-counter flea treatment being very dangerous for cats. If you have not bathed your kitten yet to get that stuff off, please do so immediately (how old is your kitten? I'm assuming two months or you wouldn't have used that Hartz stuff anyway)

And go to the vet. They can't use another spot-on yet, but they can help make sure your kitten isn't getting anemia or worms from the fleas.

Then you can start treating the environment with hot water washes, vacuuming, and more hot water and vacuuming. And try diatomaceous earth if your kitten is indoor only.

When I first got Zissou I did the same thing as you-- used one of these awful OTC flea meds-- and then the vet couldn't give her regular ones. I used diatomaceous earth and never saw another flea.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I suggest talking to your vet about this. I would also go to them for a flea treatment.
Ditto .... ....

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also try a flea comb to help with the flea problem you've got right now. Get some plain old Dawn dish soap, and put some of that in water. Then you comb kitty, dip the brush in the soapy water to kill the fleas, dry the brush off, then repeat.

Probably one of the most important things you can do right now is vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Those fleas will get into your carpets and lay eggs, and you'll never see the end of it! While we don't recommend you put flea collars on your kitty, you can get one and cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag if you have one. I'm not sure how/if that works for a canister-type vacuum though.

Good luck with the fleas, I know they're a horrible problem. And I hope Baby doesn't have any bad side effects from the Hartz - I can't believe they still sell the stuff considering all the problems people have with it!

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you can get your hands on some Capstar (not sure if they have it where you are) its amazing. You can get it at most vets and what it does is kills any fleas on your pet in a matter of hours. It only stays in the system for 24 hours, and can be used alongside other topical flea medications. It won't completely get rid of the fleas. One the larva in your house hatch, they'll jump back on the cat, but it will keep the poor thing from becoming anemic(which can happen very quickly in young animals)
You'll probably have to wait 4 weeks before you can use another type of flea medication. Check the package if you still have it to see what it says.