Chew Toys for Cats?

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do any of you know if there is such a thing as chew toys for cats? Audrey has a bunch of little foam balls that she loves to play fetch with. Unfortunately she has recently developed a habit of chewing them until they are saturated with spit and then holding them in place with her paws as she resolutely rips pieces off.

Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other day I noticed these "dental chew" toys at wal mart. I figured, "why not, they're just the right size that the boys would have fun flinging them around at least". They're cloth, heavy mesh, and stitched really firmly into sort of ring shapes.
I didn't noticed till I got them home and Sho started chewing on one that they had catnip in them.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed they have some of those at PetSmart as well. I ordered a couple online several months ago, and neither of my cats were very interested. Swanie loves to chew, but I guess those weren't very appealing to him.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The other day I noticed these "dental chew" toys at wal mart. I figured, "why not, they're just the right size that the boys would have fun flinging them around at least". They're cloth, heavy mesh, and stitched really firmly into sort of ring shapes.
I didn't noticed till I got them home and Sho started chewing on one that they had catnip in them.
Our Doc is a chewer.

We got those dental chew toys that you described -- of course, he didn't chew on them.

And we got these dental chew sticks -- of course, he didn't chew on these, either!

He's a plastics chewer & a string-chewer (so many toys snapped within seconds of the pkg being opened!). Anyone else have a plastics-chewer? We have to be super vigilant -- anything plastic will end up with a bunch of teeth marks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe we'll just grab a few hopeful looking items the next time we're out shopping.

Audrey is a big fan of plastic bags. Usually she doesn't chew them, but she loves to rub her face against them, right at the corner of her mouth. It's really weird. She molests any plastic bags we leave lying around.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NicoleGray

Maybe we'll just grab a few hopeful looking items the next time we're out shopping.

Audrey is a big fan of plastic bags. Usually she doesn't chew them, but she loves to rub her face against them, right at the corner of her mouth. It's really weird. She molests any plastic bags we leave lying around.
That's exactly what the Doc does. The part about the corner of the mouth is dead on
!

Our Munchie used to like plastic bags, but I think he might have gotten caught in one once when we were out...he was really skittish and we found the bag ripped in half! Since then, he's always "nervous" when he hears loud crinkly plastic bags.

P.S. So as a safety precaution, we snip all the handles on bags, so there's no chance of the bag getting caught around any cat necks!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

Our Doc is a chewer.

We got those dental chew toys that you described -- of course, he didn't chew on them.

And we got these dental chew sticks -- of course, he didn't chew on these, either!

He's a plastics chewer & a string-chewer (so many toys snapped within seconds of the pkg being opened!). Anyone else have a plastics-chewer? We have to be super vigilant -- anything plastic will end up with a bunch of teeth marks.
Roxie is a plastic junkie... Anything plastic that is left in her reach will get chewed... I have many a pair of flip flops that have seen her rath as well as a few cheap purses and BF's cell phone charger... She has totally trained me to put all liked shoes/accesories back into the closet. We also bought her those chew toys and she may as well have laughed in our faces lol... Those cats really do make you wonder!!!

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cats were teething I gave them plastic straws to chew on...

They would love when I'd put them half way underneath a small area rug or their scratch post. They would dive for them and bury them underneath.

they really enjoyed chewing on them though. I tried "rubbery" toys or closely woven mice for them to chew on and they didn't bite; literally.

Try some straws. They're cheap and they seem to go for them!

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kabou is a huge chewer and that includes plastic. I've tried various chew toys that I thought might fit the bill, but she ignores them. I got up the other morning and noticed she was quite busy with the phone by my bed. Lo and behold, she had chewed the cord that goes from the base to the handset completely in half! She did enjoy straws as a kitten, but ate one, so I had to quit giving them to her. Someone should invent a cat chew! Maybe tuna flavored?

dragoro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mcat

I don't know. Our Peaches eats cardboard boxes. You gotta wonder about cats.
LOL!! You too? Jacob will sit for hours tearin up boxes. It sucks when I forget to get rid of em right away, cause it means hours on hands and knees pickin up pieces of cardboard all over the apartment!!.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by merlynn's mom

When my cats were teething I gave them plastic straws to chew on...
Tomas steals straws out of my glass, sometimes tipping the whole thing over... that's always fun.

He loves plastic bags as well, but doesn't chew them. He seems to get really excited over the noise they make, or any noisy stuff in general.
If we leave one down in reach, even just turning our backs while putting away groceries, he'll dive in the bag and roll around. One of his favorite things to do is shove his face tight against the plastic from the inside and make weird faces at us through it.
Crazy, but as least he doesn't eat them.