What's wrong with Gracy

17kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 year old cat has been sick for about 3 weeks now. She hardly eats anything, hides and seems depressed. I brought her to the vet who did blood work on her. It shows a very high white blood cell count. He said it was bacterial infection. He put her on antibiotics, but she's not much better. I'm thinking it's her teeth. When I call her to eat, she comes, but she's only really eating tuna fish out of the can. She tries to eat her dry food, but drops it out of her mouth. He said her teeth didn't look good. I've got a call in to the vet to find out my next move, but I'm so worried about her. What else could cause a high white blood cell count. All other tests were fine.

Thanks,
Kathy

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 17kat

My 12 year old cat has been sick for about 3 weeks now. She hardly eats anything, hides and seems depressed. I brought her to the vet who did blood work on her. It shows a very high white blood cell count. He said it was bacterial infection. He put her on antibiotics, but she's not much better. I'm thinking it's her teeth. When I call her to eat, she comes, but she's only really eating tuna fish out of the can. She tries to eat her dry food, but drops it out of her mouth. He said her teeth didn't look good. I've got a call in to the vet to find out my next move, but I'm so worried about her. What else could cause a high white blood cell count. All other tests were fine.

Thanks,
Kathy
High WBC count (leukocytosis) can be caused by infection, inflammation, or cancer. Did the vet do a differential to see which types of white cells were elevated? Also, did he say what type of bacterial infection? Maybe it's an infection and he didn't choose an antibiotic that properly covered the infection.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you & Gracy.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet said her teeth don't look good and she's unable to eat it sounds as though she needs dental work. She may have an infection in her mouth/gums that is causing the high WBC count. Have you asked the vet what is wrong with her teeth?

Good luck and hugs to you and your kitty.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that you need to either take her back to the same vet or a different one. I guess it doesn't matter which. But, sounds to me like she could have a dental infection going on. Which explains why she isn't eating.