Update on Norris

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update on my sweet foster dog, Norris. Last night was a rough one for us. His stomach was causing him a lot of issues. I was up quite a few times throughout the night getting up to let him out. He had 3 REALLY bad accidents in his kennel. (and the thing is- he's completly housetrained/kennel trained- so he was crying at the top of his lungs to let us know he had to potty - but me being a deep sleeper- it took me a minute to hear him and i was a little late). At 4am he got sick everywhere - and man it even went outside of the kennel....took me an hour to clean the wall, floors,kennel, kitchen area, and norris. Same thing happened again around 7 am an 8 am. At that point i took his crate and moved it into the garage just till his tummy settles (it's really easy to clean the floor in there and the fans are running and it's cool (well ventelated as well). When I went to work today, my boss dropped in for a minute and i told her what was happening so we called the vet that does our spay/neuters on thurs (she's awesome!- different vet and clinic than the ones i wrote about in the other threads) She told me what i could give him to settle his tummy, and so far so good!
I'm giving him Flagyl (500mg) 2x a day and one tablet of regular imodium ad twice a day in addition to his metacam (we think the metacam is making his tummy worse- but he has to have it for the pain). So far tonight he hasn't had any more accidents so that's great! (As soon as his tummy is back to normal i'm moving his crate back in the house - i figured it's more quiet in the garage so he will settle down better in there for now without all the other furbabies trying to kiss him and play with him. His leg- it look worse today if that's at all possible
I've been getting him out of his crate and just laying with him in the floor every hour or so and putting ice packs on it (that seems to REALLY be helping him
) He also does not seem to be in a lot of pain considering,so i think the pain meds are helping! He's also been playing with his rawhides and stealing fosters toys every time he comes into the house
such a cutie!!! keep your fingers crossed that his tummy settles down. (the more diarreah - the more fluids he looses and we don't need his health to be compromised before his orthapedic surgery.) he seems to be doing better now that i started him on meds for his tummy so that's great!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy! You are such a good foster mom!
I'm so glad Norris is doing better and hope his leg will get fixed soon before too much damage is done. I"m still upset about that vet's office!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Poor little guy! You are such a good foster mom!
I'm so glad Norris is doing better and hope his leg will get fixed soon before too much damage is done. I"m still upset about that vet's office!
Me too- i'm still ready to ring all their necks
What i'm REALLY mad at is that the heifer that "adopted" him never even called to see if he's ok and also that the person who ran over him didn't even stop. But there's nothing i can do about that right now (trying to convience myself!) so right now i'm trying to just focus all my energy on Norris and make sure he's well cared for and happy for now. I'm just anxiously waiting till his surgery appt. to see what's going to happen with the leg. It looks worse today...it's just dangling there
so i wouldn't be suprised (since those idiot vets waited so long to do his surgery!
) if he needs to have it amputated. Poor fella though. He is already walking like a tripod and not using it at all now though -so i do think he'd function just fine if that is what happens but i just don't know right now.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Norris! I hope he can get the surgery soon.
He is very lucky to have you

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can hardly wait to hear that Norris has had the surgery he needs so badly, and that it is successful... this must be agonizing for him, not knowing whether he'll ever be well again. Thank goodness he has you!

The rest of Norris's life had better be an absolute paradise, to make up for what he's going through now. Poor little guy.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Norris. It's so hard when they're housetrained & have something that causes them to have to go in the house.

Is he scheduled to have surgery tomorrow?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Poor Norris. It's so hard when they're housetrained & have something that causes them to have to go in the house.

Is he scheduled to have surgery tomorrow?
No, he's not. the crummy vets office said to bring him in Wed morning before they open and that they'd "schedule him in." but that's not good enough for me, so i'm calling my boss tomorrow (the other one) and see if she can talk to them and get an actual apointment time for eithor tomorrow or wed. (she'll let them have it hopefully!) she's got a temper when she needs to have one

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh they had best get Norris in pretty darn quick! Can they not see how badly mangled his leg is!?!?! Man, Nikki, I'd like to call the ortho place & give them a piece of my mind! I can get downright nasty if I need to!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, I am so sorry he had a bellyache!! I'm sure with a foster Mom like you, he'll be good to go soon.
It sounds as if he will loose his leg.But, if he is already walking around like a tripod, then he is getting use to not having that leg anyways.So, that should help him adjust better.
Give him a hug from me and I am keeping him in my prayers.