Women only Please!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On and off since March, I thought at first I was having a yeast infection and tried all the over counter remedies. To my dismay, it only made it worse. I have tried diflucan, other prescribe creams, and finally saw a NP. She couldn't find any yeast so I thought it was finally better.
I have mainly itching and irritation. It's not all the time and it's always at random. Sometimes it can get really bad. I also feel raw at times. I finally made appt with doctor in mid april and he prescribed me antibiotics. It helped and I thought I was better.
Here it is late May and about mid may it started to act up again. I am going to make another appt. It is only on outside. Never feel any problems inside. What is wrong with me? Has anyone else ever had this?? I'm so miserable at times and I'm tired of this reoccurring every few weeks. I never ever had this before. It just came out of no where also. It started gradually and I didn't think anything of it until it progressed more and more.
Anyone have any ideas? I just want to feel normal again.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who used to get yeast infections all the time. She started eating a lot of that "natural" yogurt which is supposed to help, and said that since she started that hasn't had one again. I don't know if that's your problem, but it sure can't hurt to try it and see if it helps any.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was your last pap? Are they sure it's a yeast infection and not something else? Are you allergic to anything like detergents?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one in Oct of last year and it was normal. I am not allergic to detergents that I'm aware of, but at this point I don't know! I am tired of feeling uncomfortable and miserable.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

Do you use scented feminine products? May be causing this?
No, I always use unscented. I haven't changed anything I've ever used before so I'm trying to think of what is causing the problem. Unless it is hormonal?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your troubles sound exactly like mine, and what finally worked for me was a daily tablet called AZO Yeast. I started out taking three a day as directed (and also using a generic triconazole cream for three nights as backup), and now I'm doing one tablet a day as maintenance. I've had no further problems.

It might not be necessary for you to take the AZO Yeast all the time -- since I'm diabetic, I'm especially susceptible to these problems, though, so I'm staying on it.

By the way -- if you didn't have yeast before, the antibiotics they gave you may have caused it now. Antibiotics can create an imbalance in the internal environment that allows the normal yeasts to grow out of control (it's really a misnomer when they call it an "infection"), so whenever you have to take antibiotics, you might take the AZO Yeast to stop that problem before it starts.

You'll feel so much better when this is over! Good luck!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Your troubles sound exactly like mine, and what finally worked for me was a daily tablet called AZO Yeast. I started out taking three a day as directed (and also using a generic triconazole cream for three nights as backup), and now I'm doing one tablet a day as maintenance. I've had no further problems.

It might not be necessary for you to take the AZO Yeast all the time -- since I'm diabetic, I'm especially susceptible to these problems, though, so I'm staying on it.

By the way -- if you didn't have yeast before, the antibiotics they gave you may have caused it now. Antibiotics can create an imbalance in the internal environment that allows the normal yeasts to grow out of control (it's really a misnomer when they call it an "infection"), so whenever you have to take antibiotics, you might take the AZO Yeast to stop that problem before it starts.

Thanks for the input! I actually got the antibiotics about a month after I started having problems and they were worse at that point. They seemed to help me. BTW, I forgot to mention the only thing I could think of was that I started the HPV vaccine series about a month before I started having problems and wondered if that could be the cause of my problems.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Check out this site and see if it has anything relevant to say. It's usually really comprehensive and is nice because you can search for multiple symptoms at once and they'll give you a list of conditions that match.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

Check out this site and see if it has anything relevant to say. It's usually really comprehensive and is nice because you can search for multiple symptoms at once and they'll give you a list of conditions that match.
Thanks for the site! I'll check it out and try to make another appt for later in the week.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I was going to say the same thing. Anytime I go on antibiotics it causes yeast infections. I normally just try to eat yogurt to try to prevent it, but it doesn't always help for me. I hope you get it cleared up soon...I know what you're going through!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I just wish I knew WHAT it was. I don't think it is yeast infection. Doesn't feel like any I've ever had before and never this long.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I missed that -- if the antibiotics seemed to HELP, then you need some further diagnosis. There may be something more serious going on!

Maybe try a different OB/GYN?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to try a different doctor. At this point something needs to be done. I've seen some references to a possible diabetes diagnosis, but I don't think that is it and the NP also suggested checking sugar level.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also something called "bacterial vaginosis" that is very similar in discomfort to a yeast infection, and can be caused by hormonal changes (I had it the whole time I was pregnant, and it had a lot to do with ph levels). I can't remember the name of the medication they gave me for it- Metrogel, maybe? But there is a pill, too- but I couldn't take the pill while I was pregnant
. Good luck!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please go back to your doctor or the new one.

I don't know, nor do I need to, if this is relevant to you, but if you are having sex please also get tested for everything under the sun (I would say that to anyone, but especially with your symptoms) It is scary and it stinks but there's nothing wrong with it! It also sounds like an allergy to me too. Strange place but not that strange.

It doesn't have anything to do with your HPV vaccine. Even if you somehow got HPV from the vaccine (which should be impossible) it is a virus that can but usually doesn't cause warts. It wouldn't cause bacterial-infection symptoms.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok you are going to think this sounds rather dumb....but I had this happen and it turned out to be toilet paper! I can only used one specific brand and I have to carry some in my purse at all times for when I need to use a public restroom. Charmin is particulary troublesome for me, no idea why!

so, if you have changed brands of toilet paper, or the brand you buy has become "new and improved" or if you are using a public or work restroom on a regular basis that my have changed toilet paper. This is something to look into.

Also if it is really itchy and you think it feels allergy like, try topical benedryl gel and see if the itching subsides.

It could also be hormonal, but I don't think due to the HPV vaccine. Read the side effects for that vaccine though. Do they test you to make sure you are negative prior to giving the vaccine? Just a thought.

I hope you get it figured out soon. I know how your feeling and it isn't fun

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard of partners passing back and forth yeast infections. If you are with someone, could it be worth having him checked?

It's also worth being checked for that "bacterial vaginocia" ( or whatever the spelling is). I had that once. It seems just like a yeast infection but doesn't clear up with the usual yeast treatments. I had to take a pill for 5 days (or so) to get rid of it. It was years ago, so my memory is failing me.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

I have heard of partners passing back and forth yeast infections. If you are with someone, could it be worth having him checked?

It's also worth being checked for that "bacterial vaginocia" ( or whatever the spelling is). I had that once. It seems just like a yeast infection but doesn't clear up with the usual yeast treatments. I had to take a pill for 5 days (or so) to get rid of it. It was years ago, so my memory is failing me.
"Bacterial vaginosis"
. That was my suggestion, too. The tp thing reminded me- I can't use printed tp- it is irritating, like a yeast infection.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Are you allergic to anything like detergents?
That's what I was thinking too. I use to buy whatever was on sale and one day I began to itch. Since the underwear is closests to a delicate area of skin it can be irritated more.
Some days were worse then others.

Finally I switched to a free & clear detergent and never felt the itch again.