Dorothy's up on the roof again! (picture)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may remember Dorothy, also known as the Rooftop Kitty, a stray who was trapped on a neighbor's roof for three or four days about a month ago. The fire department came out to get her down that time, and she started living under my car. Last week, I befriended her, discovered that she is front-declawed
, and invited her to live in our back yard until there's room for her at the no-kill shelter.

Well, she's a sweetheart in every way, and she seemed to love the place we had made for her back there -- as long as the gate stayed open. If we closed the gate, she panicked and climbed a tree to get over the fence... and then couldn't get back in. So I blocked the gate slightly ajar for her, and all has been well since.

But while I was out today, a storm hit and blew the gate shut. I only discovered this when I got home and went out to feed her... and she was gone. I went out front and called for her, and sure enough, I heard her meowing back at me -- but I couldn't see her anywhere.

Finally, I looked up... and there she was on our roof this time. I figure she went out over the fence, couldn't get back in, and climbed one of the crepe myrtles in the front to get up on the roof, thinking she could jump down into the back yard from there -- but that's quite a jump! So there she was, stuck again.

All we had was a stepstool, so I climbed up on that with my mom holding onto my waist to steady me, and Dorothy came right to the edge of the roof to rub my hands.
When she was close enough, I gathered her over to me, then handed her down to my mom, and we carried her through the house to the back yard... where the gate is now propped open again. Such a good girl -- she didn't protest at all!

Crisis averted! But the storm had blown apart some of the tarps and things we had arranged to help her keep dry during the amazing rains we've had these past couple of weeks. So my mom and I ransacked the garage and found a huge sheet of translucent plastic to make a better shelter with.

And here it is! Notice the carpeted Great Room with double-height ceiling. Off to the left is a dining terrace with a hidden side door; upstairs is a sheltered balcony ideal for growing catnip.

Downstairs on the right is a well-protected storm shelter whose metal ceiling will stop even softball-sized hail. Above that, you can see the lovely white fleece blanket on the double-wide bunk bed.

Note also the innovative roofing material, which allows the entire roof to function as a skylight. And as you can see, the landscaper has started a rock garden near the front door.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Dorothy!

I LOVE her home, and your description,

She obvioulsy is liking having someone to look after her again, poor thing. I know she will get adopted quickly, she is beautiful and obviously friendly if she let you pick her off the roof. I have a couple that would shred me if I tried that.

The storms that have been going through have been wicked. Even here in NM, it is supposed to be our driest time of year, but we have had wicked storms. The barn flooded last week.

Give pretty Dorothy some chin scratches for me. She is so lucky to have found you

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an amazing home for Dorothy! You did a great job..Dorothy stay in your home during all of this rain..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sweet Dorothy! You had me scared at the title of this post!

The other night I asked DH, since he will be in Texas for a few days in a few weeks, if he'd bring me back a kitty...but he said they won't be in the right part of Texas and 2 cats is our limit in this little place.... Foo!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww... wouldn't that have been nice? I'd be happy to deliver her if he changes his mind!

And I was amazed -- as soon as we finished the shelter, Dorothy walked right in and checked it out! She's so trusting and gentle... it's going to be hard to give her up, but we absolutely have to.

I'm hoping the shelter did a lot of adoptions over the three-day weekend and space has opened up for Dorothy. I'll call first thing tomorrow to find out.

If not, I'll start trying the other no-kill shelters and rescue groups on the list to see if I can find her a place where they can keep her indoors. I feel so bad not bringing her inside! But there's just no way in the world to keep her separated from our six cats, two of whom are problematic to begin with... there's only a tenuous truce around here as it is!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

And here it is! Notice the carpeted Great Room with double-height ceiling. Off to the left is a dining terrace with a hidden side door; upstairs is a sheltered balcony ideal for growing catnip.

Downstairs on the right is a well-protected storm shelter whose metal ceiling will stop even softball-sized hail. Above that, you can see the lovely white fleece blanket on the double-wide bunk bed.

Note also the innovative roofing material, which allows the entire roof to function as a skylight. And as you can see, the landscaper has started a rock garden near the front door.
Wow what a lovely place she has there!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, if she showed up at my place, I'd be in the same situation. No way to bring her inside, let alone keep her.

Now, Dorothy, stay off roofs! It's scary up there.
And I love the shelter you've got!