Young Cat
Purraise
Am I allowed to ask a question about my dog here? XD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolfsong442

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyway. I've notied a small lump on my dog. It's under her right fore-leg. Most of the time, it's right under her "armpit", but it's able to be moved around. It's roughly oval shaped, very small and firm. She's ten years old and is a poodle/terrier mix. My mother won't take her to the vet because she doesn't really think it's anything to worry about, and quite frankly, I don't think she wants to pay the money to take her to the vet, the whole "animals aren't like people", song and dance ( which is bull, to me. If your dog may have cancer, you need to take it to the vet.)

Can someone tell me if this sounds like anything to worry about?

P.S. I started a thread a few weeks ago about my 3 week old kitten. He's now almost eight weeks and is thriving. Thanks everyone who helped me both with morale and intructions on how to care for him. He's at the vet's getting neutered right now, but when he gets back, I'll post pictures of both animals XD

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had older dogs that have had non-cancerous tumors, and it's actually quite common in senior dogs. But I always had them checked out by the vet, just to be safe.

miamorticia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how quick has the lump developed ? we have got benny who is 15 and has a lump on his head we had it checked but its just grissle which again happens in older dogs if the lump appears very quickly its possibly not cancerous but if the lump has gone unoticed its wise to keep a check on it see if it grows but in doubt get medical advice

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about lumps in dogs, but wanted to send some vibes that its non life threatening{{{{}}}}

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lumps in senior dogs are common but ALL should be checked by a vet as evan those of us with many yrs of dealing with senior animals dont always no what it is

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a number of things. Keep a VERY close eye on it, if it is growing at all, take her in. It is a good idea to take her in anyway to make sure it is clear.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Lumps in senior dogs are common but ALL should be checked by a vet as evan those of us with many yrs of dealing with senior animals dont always no what it is
I agree. My Ellie Mae got a lot of bumps/cysts as she aged and we always had them biopsied. When one of the actually turned out to be cancerous, we caught it early enough and was able to keep her going 18 months until she was taken from us from a stroke at 14 (old age).