Fashion faux-pas

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thread on feeling frumpy started me thinking about fashion faux pas......big fashion mistakes. What have been some of your worst?

Last week I wore a skort (yes - a skort) with an embroidered cotton top I got while in Mexico (big, loose, poofy). I thought I looked good when I left home, but part way through the day at work I look in the mirror and I swear all I saw was a big chunky beige beached whale!

However, I will always wear tie dye, fashion faux pas or not!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What`s a 'skort'? Is that like collottes?

I`m always having fashion disasters. The worst thing is work because I`m painting I can`t wear anything nice so I always feel like a bit of a pikey. If I have to run to the shops in my lunch break I always smear some paint on me so people realise I`m not a pikey and they are infact my work clothes! Sad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

What`s a 'skort'? Is that like collottes?
A skort is a pair of shorts with a fake skirt front. So it looks like a skirt from the front and a pair of shorts from the back. AKA skort

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At least you weren't wearing black nylons or tights with white shoes. Now, there's a major faux pas!!!!!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

At least you weren't wearing black nylons or tights with white shoes. Now, there's a major faux pas!!!!!

Or like my old boss, a bright red uncool track suit with white sock and black heeled shoes!

Also the tracksuit trousers were too short with elasticated ankles. We said she should put some jam in her shoes and invite her trousers down for tea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

my grandma (bless her) still wares Sturup pants the ones with the elastic that goes under your food and joins at the other side.
Can you still buy them or does she make her own?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

my grandma (bless her) still wares Sturup pants the ones with the elastic that goes under your food and joins at the other side.
Wow, I had completely forgotten that those pants even existed, and I used to love them! (Ummm, when I was, like, ten.
)

It is important to note that while I am not particularly stylish, I am also not typically guilty of any glaring fashion faux pas -- probably because I never try anything daring enough to make horrible mistakes. I'm not saying I'm too cool to make fashion mistakes; just that, stylistically speaking, I'm not creative enough to even risk it. For work clothes (office casual), I basically go into clothing stores and buy entire outfits off the mannequin, rather than rely upon my own fashion sense (or lack thereof) to select a suitable outfit. For everyday wear, I'm a jeans and T-shirts kinda gal -- it's hard to screw that up. Thank goodness. Because I would.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Or like my old boss, a bright red uncool track suit with white sock and black heeled shoes!

Also the tracksuit trousers were too short with elasticated ankles. We said she should put some jam in her shoes and invite her trousers down for tea
I am laughing so hard right now that I'm crying. Boy, you have a wonderful sense of humour!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

I am laughing so hard right now that I'm crying. Boy, you have a wonderful sense of humour!
It was hilarious! She walked past our window and I`m sure she must have heard us laughing. We were in hysterics!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Can you still buy them or does she make her own?
I think she still has them from the 80's and the worst thing is she has her "good" ones and her "Around the house" ones. I mean I don't know if they were EVER good!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well one morning I went to the gym. Had a shower, put on my "work" clothes (office casual at the time) and realized I had no socks, except a clean pair of gym socks...I figured my pants would be long enough, and no one would notice, but alas...I was busted with White athletic socks with black pants/shoes....
oops.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My students wear sturup pants, down here they are back "in"; along with the black tights that you wore under blue jean skirts. They look cute in them
A lot of the 80's stuff is back in...hopefully, not the hair-do's

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my mother was in her late seventies she'd wear beige leggings with regular length (not tunic) shirts. If she was two yards or more away, it looked exactly like she had no pants on!
Not a good look, on all sorts of levels, but you couldn't tell her.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have these wonderful lightweight black gauze pants that end just above the ankles, and one hot day a couple of weeks ago, I put them on with an embroidered teal tunic and sandals to go to lunch with my mom.

But then my mom turned herself out like a supermodel, with black stockings and a chiffon-overlay skirt... so I quickly put on some black kneehighs and black high heels to dress up my look a bit.

But I'd forgotten how short those pants are! When I saw my reflection in a store window in my high-water pants... AUGH!

I asked my mom why she didn't tell me, and she said, "Well, honey, I thought maybe you liked them that way."

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MAJOR fashion faux pas: gauchos with flipflops. Several girls at work wear these and look sloppy.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fashion no-no's: well since I work in the dirt all day I can get pretty grimy so depending on the place I want to stop I'm in my gardening shoes (comfy but ugly) socks-none to clean-shorts ok but shirt dirty/sweaty!! So I try to keep a pair of flip flops in the truck and a clean shirt (sports bra stays on) and a wet washcloth and clean towel to try to scrub clean a bit!! Otherwise I can look quite frightful.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol sorry but the way i see it, unless you show up naked to the office, there is not such thing as fashion mistake

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm...faux pas? The latest I'm seeing is the tank top with cute bra straps showing combination.
This restaraunt/bar (I know key term "bar") some coworkers and I go to for lunch allows their servers to do this. They wear a colored bra with little bows on the straps and then a tank top that doesn't even hide them.

sorry girls, bras are for support, not showing off to clientel. If you want a job like that there are some nice street corners...