Do you ever feel frumpy?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I need a whole person makeover (except for personality - I like my personality). My clothes, my hair, my makeup (or lack there of). Most days I think I am fairly co-ordinated at least, but I never really like the way I look. I haven't had a haircut since October (yes 7 months). Maybe it is because I am plus sized and I need to seriously loss weight (I am working on it, especially now with my DH's issues). I think I need What Not To Wear.

Do you ever feel frumpy?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always do...I look like crap alot of the time. I wasn't born with the womanly style instinct..I have no idea what matches or looks good on me. I think I should have been born a guy

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually do. I don't have the shopping gene, I hate to shop, and I have no sesnse of style whatsoever. I usually have to ask DH if what I'm wearing matches, and he's been known to express surprise if it actually does
. Probably if I can lose some weight I'll feel slightly less frumpy, but I'll still be a jeans and t-shirt kind of person.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
(Hides behind something very quickly...) Gulp, are you talking about me? Cuz, I'm feeling 100% frumpy today.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I always do...I look like crap alot of the time. I wasn't born with the womanly style instinct..I have no idea what matches or looks good on me. I think I should have been born a guy
I am more the tee-shirt & jeans kinda girl.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too need what not to wear but I am unsure that evan they can help me..lmao

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by Misty8723

I usually do. I don't have the shopping gene, I hate to shop, and I have no sesnse of style whatsoever. I usually have to ask DH if what I'm wearing matches, and he's been known to express surprise if it actually does
. Probably if I can lose some weight I'll feel slightly less frumpy, but I'll still be a jeans and t-shirt kind of person.
Lots of jeans and T-shirts girls here, huh? Sign me up. I have no fashion sense and rely upon salespeople and my extremely stylish younger sister to make me look even remotely put-together. If my outfit matches or looks good on me, someone else dressed me. (Not J, though. His sense of fashion is worse than mine!)

I'm afraid of the people on What Not to Wear, though. I think they're mean and they would probably make me cry.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That is exactly what I am like. I am hopeless when it comes to picking clothes - Jake (hubby) has a lot more style than I do!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always feel frumpy, I dont wear makeup any more, I dont really like shopping but usually I find a cute outfit when I have no money
And well I used to like t shirts, but I just like my tanks now, and well I am always in jeans
O and winter u will usually find me in my southpole sweat pants and a big hoody, and even in cooler weather in spring and fall I will have a huge hoody on
and well 98% of the time, I have to ask someone if it matches, and usually I am in the mood that says i dont care
if it matches it matches, if it doesnt it doesnt and im starting a new trend

arielrain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good grief Charlie Brown, no need to hide behind jeans and t-shirts ladies. There are many overweight people who love to dress nicely and look fabulous. Try things on to see what looks and feels best for you. Hold up different colors next to your skin to see what compliments you best. Experiment and have fun!

Look around at other overweight woman that you think look great. What are they wearing? Try to duplicate that look. Wish I could go shopping with you ladies I could help you out!
I love clothes and jewelry and shopping!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much just wear jeans and t-shirts. I don't really have any sense of style.
I have a few friends that like to dress me up when we go out to bars but I just don't think it looks right on me.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I definatley have frumpy days.....usually I feel its going to be one of those days before I get dressed, and then no matter what I do to my hair, make up, or clothes, I still seem plain.
On another honest note, I DEFINATELY need more colour in my closet to help fight those feelings when they come!

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel a bit frumpy right now, it's chilly in the UK today so I'm wearing a really cosy oversized zip up top with tracksuit bottoms that don't match. And big furry boot/slippers. Tres chic!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frumpy = me! I don't mind though
I wear comfy pants and tshirts. I am a large woman also. I could dress nicely (and have for jobs with the hose, skirts, jewelry, makeup) but I don't like it. I like comfort all the way.

I have seen some lovely large women at school and love the way they dress. Of course, they make it seem easy
I suppose I just don't care enough to try? If it takes longer than a total of 30 minutes from bed to ready in the morning, I don't wanna do it!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My excessive plumpitude actually keeps me from wearing jeans and T-shirts -- the former are too hot and constricting, and the latter are just too unflattering on me, even around the house.

So I wear fairly nice things, within my financial limitations...mostly woven slacks or capris and long tunic-style tops, sometimes with a pretty camisole showing underneath. The clothes really aren't so bad... and I make jewelry, so I always have something nice to accent my outfits.

The problem is the body it all hangs on. Most plus-size women are at least shaped like women -- generous above and below, narrower in the middle. But my middle is my biggest part, and that makes me look downright grotesque, no matter how nicely I put myself together.

So merely "frumpy" is a good day for me.

But y'know... I dragged out this old photo of myself the other night to show to a fellow Trekker, and silly though it was for a grown woman to make herself a Starfleet uniform
, it's starting to inspire me! I was already a little overweight in this picture (about 1983), so achieving this size again isn't completely out of the question for me... maybe if I stick to my diet for a good solid 18 months or so... no more frump?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arielrain

Good grief Charlie Brown, no need to hide behind jeans and t-shirts ladies. There are many overweight people who love to dress nicely and look fabulous. Try things on to see what looks and feels best for you. Hold up different colors next to your skin to see what compliments you best. Experiment and have fun!

Look around at other overweight woman that you think look great. What are they wearing? Try to duplicate that look. Wish I could go shopping with you ladies I could help you out!
I love clothes and jewelry and shopping!
Personally, even if I were a size 5, I'd still be a jeans and t-shirt gal. I'd just feel a bit less frumpy in them

(It's hard to hold something up to yourself when you're buying it on the internet
)

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even in jeans and T-shirts, I don't think that I look frumpy. My jeans are well-fitting and my tees and tanks are interesting. Usually, I have on heels or, at the least, nice boots.

My taste is eclectic and my wardrobe holds everything from 1880s vintage to modern-day Target and WalMart clothes. I own several designer suits (bought at outlets) and many good consignment shop pieces.

Only I would team up Kmart jeans, a Frederick's of Hollywood sequined tank, a thrift shop blazer and Italian designer high heeled pumps.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Even in jeans and T-shirts, I don't think that I look frumpy. My jeans are well-fitting and my tees and tanks are interesting. Usually, I have on heels or, at the least, nice boots.

My taste is eclectic and my wardrobe holds everything from 1880s vintage to modern-day Target and WalMart clothes. I own several designer suits (bought at outlets) and many good consignment shop pieces.

Only I would team up Kmart jeans, a Frederick's of Hollywood sequined tank, a thrift shop blazer and Italian designer high heeled pumps.
But you are Cindy, and thats all that needs to be said. I can't imagine you being frumpy.