HELP! How to frame articles??

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI!! I have some articles that I want to frame and have it look professional. I did one myself and didn't like how it looked.

I will attach some pictures of 3 diff articles that I want to have framed and see if any of u can come up with a great idea of how to display these...

This is the one I did myself and don't like how it turned out...

This one is of my dad- he has Amyloidosis (fatal and RARE disease- normally ppl dies within a couple weeks/months of getting this). Thankfully dad is still doing well 3-4 years later on! (knocking on wood). I keep telling him he cannot die until I get married.... AND I will NEVER get married so he'll have to stay alive!

Also any tips on how to prevent these articles from yellowing- one article (below) is already yellowing- how can i stop further damage??

Any ideas and tips are welcome!!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you keep newsprint out of direct sunlight it will last longer however there is no was of compleetly preventing yellowing. I would suggest photocopying the article onto acid-free paper and going from there. Also to make the framing archivally sound acidfree matboard is a must. I would suggest for the article about your fater to frame it in a long frame with the two pieces one below the other with a mat "break" in the middle.
The top picture of the article you framed looks good except I think you might need a bit more whitespace around the print, the way it is now the print is basically touching the matting and it looks a little off. Using mayting with a newspaper article is essential because putting glass directly in touch with the surface can lead to the static of the glass lifting the print from the paper. You are off to a good start!

I frame things myself (Needlework and prints) and I graduated with a degree in archives and records management with a minor in paper conservation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

If you keep newsprint out of direct sunlight it will last longer however there is no was of compleetly preventing yellowing. I would suggest photocopying the article onto acid-free paper and going from there. Also to make the framing archivally sound acidfree matboard is a must. I would suggest for the article about your fater to frame it in a long frame with the two pieces one below the other with a mat "break" in the middle.
The top picture of the article you framed looks good except I think you might need a bit more whitespace around the print, the way it is now the print is basically touching the matting and it looks a little off. Using mayting with a newspaper article is essential because putting glass directly in touch with the surface can lead to the static of the glass lifting the print from the paper. You are off to a good start!
I frame things myself (Needlework and prints) and I graduated with a degree in archives and records management with a minor in paper conservation.
Thanks for the suggestions! As of now, the articles is in a folder so there's no direct sunlight.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this -

to frame it in a long frame with the two pieces one below the other with a mat "break" in the middle..
Can you clarify this- meaning have two mats- one for the long article with picture then another one for the smaller article below?

The top picture of the article you framed looks good except I think you might need a bit more whitespace around the print, the way it is now the print is basically touching the matting and it looks a little off.

Meaning get a bigger frame with smaller mat so more white around the article would show?

Can you post a sample of what you're talking about so I can make sure I am on the same page with you?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

Thanks for the suggestions! As of now, the articles is in a folder so there's no direct sunlight.
I thought you were wanting to frame those also, but if not putting them in a folder possibly in an acid free sleve (newsprint is acidic paper if keps in an acid free environment it does not yellow as quickly)

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this -[/color] Can you clarify this- meaning have two mats- one for the long article with picture then another one for the smaller article below?
Again I thought you were going to frame the article of your dad

Meaning get a bigger frame with smaller mat so more white around the article would show?

Can you post a sample of what you're talking about so I can make sure I am on the same page with you?
I'll take your picture as an example

See the space above "Student rises..." it's about 1/2 inch, but the remainder of the article put beside it has no space at the top befor the matting it right up close to it. The same thing happens at the bottom of the frame. I would suggest a larger mat and possibly a slightly larger frame to distract from the fact the article is in 2 uneven pieces. In order to frame things so they look "right" you need to have things almost perfect, centered and equal space around the entire object being framed helps with simitry.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

[/color] I thought you were wanting to frame those also, but if not putting them in a folder possibly in an acid free sleve (newsprint is acidic paper if keps in an acid free environment it does not yellow as quickly)

Again I thought you were going to frame the article of your dad

Yes, I plan to frame these articles. What I meant was I am storing these articles in a folder UNTIL I get them framed.

I'll take your picture as an example

See the space above "Student rises..." it's about 1/2 inch, but the remainder of the article put beside it has no space at the top befor the matting it right up close to it. The same thing happens at the bottom of the frame. I would suggest a larger mat and possibly a slightly larger frame to distract from the fact the article is in 2 uneven pieces. In order to frame things so they look "right" you need to have things almost perfect, centered and equal space around the entire object being framed helps with simitry.
Ok that helps.. Thanks!! My goal is to get these framed in the next couple weeks so wish me luck. I appreciate your feedback and tips on this. Thanks!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...I graduated with a degree in archives and records management with a minor in paper conservation.
I swear, WHATEVER you could possibly need to know about, there's somebody on TCS who's got you covered!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice for you about the articles, but my Dad found out this year that he has Amyloidosis too!! He was misdiagnosed for SIX MONTHS before they figured out what was wrong! Doctors all over the United States are interested in his case, he should have been dead way before they found out what was wrong.

Has your Dad had Chemo and stem cell transplants??

sorry for the hijack, you're the first person I've met that knows someone with this disease that hasn't passed from it

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

I don't have any advice for you about the articles, but my Dad found out this year that he has Amyloidosis too!! He was misdiagnosed for SIX MONTHS before they figured out what was wrong! Doctors all over the United States are interested in his case, he should have been dead way before they found out what was wrong.

Has your Dad had Chemo and stem cell transplants??

sorry for the hijack, you're the first person I've met that knows someone with this disease that hasn't passed from it
Amyloidosis is a VERY RARE disease and you're right- many people dies before drs realize they have this disease. My dad was misdiagnoised several times before finding out he had this so that is very very common for ppl who have Amyloidosis to be misdiagnoised at first.

Yes, my dad went through chemo & stem cell transplants and it helped a lot. He's currently in remission and his disease is "dormant". (knocking on wood). He almost died during the stem cell treatment though. He went through stem cell transplant at Boston Hospital (best program for this disease) with some other people at the same time and about 2 or 3 (I THINK) died during the month of treatment. I almost lost dad too because he got blood poisoning (immune system is very very weak during the treatment period).

If you'd like, I could have my dad get in touch with your dad?? Let me know (we can pm each other contact info). It may be nice for them to chat with each other since there's not many people who have this disease in USA.

How's your dad doing so far?? Which kind of Amyloidosis does he have? There's 3 kinds of Amyloidosis- Primary Amyloidosis, Secondary AA and Familial. My dad has Primary (AL) amyloidosis....

I know how scary it is and I still get scared whenever I think of losing dad.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Amyloidosis is a VERY RARE disease and you're right- many people dies before drs realize they have this disease. My dad was misdiagnoised several times before finding out he had this so that is very very common for ppl who have Amyloidosis to be misdiagnoised at first.

Yes, my dad went through chemo & stem cell transplants and it helped a lot. He's currently in remission and his disease is "dormant". (knocking on wood). He almost died during the stem cell treatment though. He went through stem cell transplant at Boston Hospital (best program for this disease) with some other people at the same time and about 2 or 3 (I THINK) died during the month of treatment. I almost lost dad too because he got blood poisoning (immune system is very very weak during the treatment period).

If you'd like, I could have my dad get in touch with your dad?? Let me know (we can pm each other contact info). It may be nice for them to chat with each other since there's not many people who have this disease in USA.

How's your dad doing so far?? Which kind of Amyloidosis does he have? There's 3 kinds of Amyloidosis- Primary Amyloidosis, Secondary AA and Familial. My dad has Primary (AL) amyloidosis....

I know how scary it is and I still get scared whenever I think of losing dad.
Its terrifying isn't it?
I'm 99percent sure dad's is Primary. He was treated at UAMS in Little Rock. He's currently not officially in remission, but its better. The doctors are just going to monitor him until November, and see where we'll go from there. They said the chemo is still working in his system and his protein counts are way down, so hopefully we won't have to go another round-but there is a chance. He's sending in urine and blood samples once a week, he's currently taking testosterone shots and (i think) B-12 shots.

He is feeling much better now than he was, Chemo sure takes a toll on a body. We're hopeful, and the doctors are too, but its still very scary. I really would have liked to have heard that it was in remission. Dad did pretty well throughout his treatment aside from a scare with a stomach virus. He's a big man though and the doctors said that his size probably saved his life.

I think my Dad would like to be in contact with yours. I think he only met one other person with Amyloidosis during treatment, and I know that he's in contact with her. I'll ask him about it and let you know.

How is your Dad now? Does he feel ok on a day to day basis? Do you have any idea what the chances are of it coming back once it is in remission? From my understanding Dad's doctors told him that once it was in remission the chances of it coming back were slim, but I might have misunderstood.

I had never even heard of Amyloidosis until Dad was diagnosed.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think my Dad would like to be in contact with yours. I think he only met one other person with Amyloidosis during treatment, and I know that he's in contact with her. I'll ask him about it and let you know.

How is your Dad now? Does he feel ok on a day to day basis? Do you have any idea what the chances are of it coming back once it is in remission? From my understanding Dad's doctors told him that once it was in remission the chances of it coming back were slim, but I might have misunderstood.

I had never even heard of Amyloidosis until Dad was diagnosed.
I sent an email to my dad asking him if I can give u his email address and/or ph # AND asked him some of the SAME questions u asked me and he replied answering some other questions but NOT my questions pertaining to Amyloidosis.
He does that sometimes and he has been more forgetful lately. I just called and left a msg so hopefully I'll hear back from him SOON!

He SEEMS to be doing good- has his good and bad days but not bad like before (I THINK). It's hard for me to really say because I only visit him 2 x a year since I live in Maryland and he is in Utah and other times when I talk to him on videophone and I ask how he is doing, he'd answer "I'm fine. Just tired." or stuff like that.
My mom and family does complain that he works too hard but that's nothing new. I get that from him (workalcholic)

MEN- they don't like to go into details about how they really FEEL.

Same here- I NEVER heard of Amyloidosis till dad was diagnosed with it.

maddensmom- I just read your other thread asking for vibes for your dad and said he may have lung infection or cancer too? Meaning he has other issues along with having Amyloidosis??

I am sending u and ur dad vibes..
It can be real difficult. I think it's harder for us because we grew up used to having these big protective tough men take care of us, protect us and we think they are invincible (sp?) so it's real hard to see them get old and go through stuff like this and realize that they may not be with us forever.

HANG IN THERE.... PM me if u need to talk and we can chat via AIM if needed.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I sent an email to my dad asking him if I can give u his email address and/or ph # AND asked him some of the SAME questions u asked me and he replied answering some other questions but NOT my questions pertaining to Amyloidosis.
He does that sometimes and he has been more forgetful lately. I just called and left a msg so hopefully I'll hear back from him SOON!

He SEEMS to be doing good- has his good and bad days but not bad like before (I THINK). It's hard for me to really say because I only visit him 2 x a year since I live in Maryland and he is in Utah and other times when I talk to him on videophone and I ask how he is doing, he'd answer "I'm fine. Just tired." or stuff like that.
My mom and family does complain that he works too hard but that's nothing new. I get that from him (workalcholic)

MEN- they don't like to go into details about how they really FEEL.

Same here- I NEVER heard of Amyloidosis till dad was diagnosed with it.

maddensmom- I just read your other thread asking for vibes for your dad and said he may have lung infection or cancer too? Meaning he has other issues along with having Amyloidosis??

I am sending u and ur dad vibes..
It can be real difficult. I think it's harder for us because we grew up used to having these big protective tough men take care of us, protect us and we think they are invincible (sp?) so it's real hard to see them get old and go through stuff like this and realize that they may not be with us forever.

HANG IN THERE.... PM me if u need to talk and we can chat via AIM if needed.
Yeah I haven't heard back from my Dad yet, sometimes it takes him awhile!
Dad's problem is that he just CAN'T be still. He's gotta be doing something all the time. He hates it when the docs say that he can't.

My Grandpa (Papa to me) is the one having lung problems right now.
My Dad and I were estranged for a number of years following my parents divorce, and my Papa is like a second father to me. In a way, Amyloidosis has been almost a blessing. It has brought my Dad and I back together.

Dad is getting forgetful as well, he calls it "chemo brain".

Thanks for the vibes, I'll be sending you and your father vibes as well. I hope they both can live normal healthy lives despite this awful disease. Its hard when you realize that they really aren't superman isn't it?

Feel free to pm me anytime!

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My dad replied back and here's what he said..
Yes, I am in remission now. They took enough stem cells to do another transplant if I need it. The longest living patient that I know is about 15 years +. He is still doing fine.

I feel good most of the time. I will have a bad day now and again. All that is no energy and slow reaction. Kind of like being awake for 24 hours straight. You have to be 5 years without reoccurrence before they consider you in remission. There is always a chance of it coming back but their methods of dealing with it have improved greatly.

Yeah I haven't heard back from my Dad yet, sometimes it takes him awhile!
Dad's problem is that he just CAN'T be still. He's gotta be doing something all the time. He hates it when the docs say that he can't.

My Grandpa (Papa to me) is the one having lung problems right now.
My Dad and I were estranged for a number of years following my parents divorce, and my Papa is like a second father to me. In a way, Amyloidosis has been almost a blessing. It has brought my Dad and I back together.

Dad is getting forgetful as well, he calls it "chemo brain".

Thanks for the vibes, I'll be sending you and your father vibes as well. I hope they both can live normal healthy lives despite this awful disease. Its hard when you realize that they really aren't superman isn't it?

Feel free to pm me anytime!
Gosh! So you have to worry about your grandpa on top of worrying about your dad!!
That's a double whammy.
HANG in there..

Same with my dad about having a hard time not doing anything. Often my mom and whole family would chew him out for overdoing things then he'd get all cranky and rest for a SHORT time to shut them up then get back to doing whatever he was doing. I even threatened to fly down and kick his butt if he wouldn't take it easy like he's supposed to!
Of course he'd nod then go back to whatever he was doing so my threats haven't worked.

Thanks for the offer to pm and I will take you up on that!! You're a SWEETIE..

He also said it's fine for ur dad to contact him so I'll pm u today with his email address so u can pass it on to ur dad.. Tell ur dad to take it easy too!