Help! Found kitten, bad situation.

pleezhelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
l found a kitten yesterday, but hes having a very hard time it seems to stay alive.

Hes maybe a month or less old, and has terrible sinus drainage. Im almost positive his eyes are to be open because hes developed teeth and walks.

I cant get him to drink kittens milk, water, or eat soft food. He seems almost braindead, except for his small spurts of maybe 10 seconds of energy oalking in circles and meowing. You can move him while haes unresponsive, but he just contorts back to the same position he was in before you moved him. His eyes were matted shut, and I've gotten a warm wet rag and wiped it away to pull his eyelids back.

When I did that, A LOT of white, almost milk-shake thick mucus came out of his right eye. When I found him, his nose was full of dirt and his face was almost solid because of drainage. He has small fits of coughing up alot of spit.

Its Memorial Day weekend, and no vets are in.. What can I do to keep him stable until Tuesday?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have some luck using an oral syringe to get him to eat some human meat baby food. I don't know where you're at, but most places have some sort of ER vet open - it really sounds like he needs antibiotics. I hope someone else has some suggestions...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pleezhelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tried a syringe too. He didn't even attempt to swallow, it just rolled out the sides of his mouth.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my that poor baby.
Call around to ALL your local Vets, I know it's Sunday and they're not in the office but most if not all Vets will have an answering service or answering machine and the service can get in touch with the Vet right away.
If it's a machine it's usually checked often through out the day.
Some will even give you a cell phone number to call in case of emergency.
At least that's the way it works around here.

Bless his little heart, I hope you're able to get him seen by a Vet today.
Bless you for taking him in.

pleezhelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hes moving now, head up and moving around.. but eyes are still closed, and dont show any signs of opening, and he just had another fit of "throwing up" spit.. I feel so bad for him

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
emergency vet clinics are opened 24/7 most vets leave the referral number on their phone lines during holidays. It sounds like it may be way to late, but I would definitely either get in the car and go to a er clinic or call them. Dont force the eyes open, get him seen now.

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any update? Were you able to get him to a vet? I feel so sorry for him,
and bless you for trying.

Helene

pleezhelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cant see a vet, I'm just holding him close.. maybe he'll make it through to tomorrow to see a vet.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm scratching my head over this one, honestly.........I've never heard of a vet that doesn't refer to an EC during nights and weekends.

This kitten sounds like he has a very severe URI.....not uncommon in tiny ones found abandoned. He can survive.........but not without veterinary care. I've got 2 10 yr old girls here who were found in a dumpster at a few wks old in the exact same condition as you are describing. Their eyes were matted shut from drainage and they couldn't breathe, let alone eat. The vet did not think they would survive, as bad as they were, but she gave them every chance and--against all odds-- they made it.

You're doing all you can do, but the longer this kitten goes without medical care, the higher the odds that he won't make it. I wish you the best of luck, but I'd highly recommend finding a new vet that has referrals in place in case of emergencies.

pleezhelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We cleaned him up pretty good, he ate 3 times last night.. so we were going the right way, but I think he had brain damage.

I dont know how it was caused, he could have been born with it, or it could have been cruelty, but I think it was just abandoned because it was sick.

But yes, I dont understand how they can have an emergency line (2 different vets) and not answer.

Hes dead now, I think it was for the best.. He really seemed like he was suffering.

Thanks for the help.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PleezHelp

We cleaned him up pretty good, he ate 3 times last night.. so we were going the right way, but I think he had brain damage.

I dont know how it was caused, he could have been born with it, or it could have been cruelty, but I think it was just abandoned because it was sick.

But yes, I dont understand how they can have an emergency line (2 different vets) and not answer.

Hes dead now, I think it was for the best.. He really seemed like he was suffering.

Thanks for the help.
Oh hon, I'm so sorry. But I am happy for him that he had tender loving care until the end. RIP little one.

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am glad he found you until the end, at least he was not alone. So sorry for your loss.