Day 2 with Penny in her new home

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All seems to be well this morning, relatively speaking.

Some minimal growling and hissing contests, but for the most part, all three are keeping their "dance spaces" free of the others'.

Penny is a sweetie, but she may wind up being the dominant female: Ginger is accepting her much more easily that Ferris is. Ginger even came and cuddled up close next to me last night on my bed - so I know she can't be too angry with me.

Ferris, on the other hand, feels threatened and is skittish and acting pretty feral. I haven't seen him be this skittish in a lot of months, so as of tonight we go back to using the flower essences in his food.

Penny is a total doll, seems pretty much at ease, considering Ferris' reaction to her, and loves to roll in the window seat while I rub her belly and give her scritches.

I'm going in rounds: spending a little time with one, moving on to another, seeking out the third, back to the first one, etc. I think another vanilla treatment this afternoon with continue to help things along.

There have been no fights, no bloodshed, and all three are eating and drinking normally, and using the litterboxes. No signs of inappropriate marking anywhere.

Penny did take a bite, chew and swallow about 1/2 inch of pink mylar from the tail of a puff-ball toy, so I immediately removed the rest of the mylar and will keep an eye on her poops for it. Silly girl - that's not the way to get positive attention, eating non-food items.

I actually got a decent night's sleep last night. Penny still roams about calling and calling, but I think she's figuring out that there will be no answers from her boys; they are still at home in NC. I can sense a little sadness and confusion in her, but otherwise she seems ok, not overly stressed out.

I'll post a thread in fur pics in a couple of hours, as my brain is working better today after getting some real sleep.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good to hear that things are working out well. Hoping that things continue on the positive side. Here's hoping.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear things are going OK, if not great. Give Mr. Ferris a big neck scratch from me.... and if he is REALLY upset, you can send him to me

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, poor thing looking for her brothers
I can't help but feel a little heart string being tugged for that..

I'm glad things seem good..its really great they are all functioning normally as far as everyday things (eating, drinking, lb).

I think she will LOVE her new home, and her new siblings in a matter of days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is amazing to me that Ferris is the one that is most upset with the newcomer. I expected the opposite - these little ones just keep me guessing, LOL.

He's talking to me, but he's not being lovebuggy like he usually is, so I know he's mad at me.

Ginger babykitty is just being her angel self to me - all sweet and letting me shower her face and head and paws with kisses.
She's either hanging out near me while I'm online, or lounging on top of the condo in the kitchen, catching the breeze from the ceiling fan.

I think that adding the flower essences back in again will help Ferris a great deal.
Now if I could just remember where I put that tiny dropper bottle...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Glad to hear things are going OK, if not great. Give Mr. Ferris a big neck scratch from me.... and if he is REALLY upset, you can send him to me
Um, I am next in line for Ferris...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awwww, poor thing looking for her brothers
I can't help but feel a little heart string being tugged for that..

I'm glad things seem good..its really great they are all functioning normally as far as everyday things (eating, drinking, lb).

I think she will LOVE her new home, and her new siblings in a matter of days
And her son, Impact.
I feel like a creep, a little, pulling apart a family like that.
Nial! Please tell me that I'm not a creep for ripping apart your Bengal clan!!!

You know, people say that the cat chooses you, not the other way around. Ginger absolutely chose me - she caught my finger with her paw through a cage at the shelter and wouldn't let me go. She came home with me.

Ferris I found on Petfinder - I looked at literally dozens of photos of young orange boys before I saw his face and everything in me screamed THAT'S MY BOY! I don't know that Ferris had any choice in things at that point...

And I know Penny didn't get to make a choice, and I guess that's why I feel a bit horrid about forcing her to abandon her only known "home" and her furfamily and her masters that speak with smoothed, soothing edges to their words to come live where the accents and the winters are harsh and the resident cats growl at her.

I'm a big meanie, I am.

But Penny seems like she'll adjust just fine, as long as that big yellow ball of fur gives her a little privacy. And once he calms down, I predict a lot of heavy-duty wrestling matches. Ginger will have to play the referee.

EDIT: By the way, folks, Ferris STAYS.
But he sends his love to his fanclub, although he does say it with a little bit of a 'tude. He's having a rough day.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel like you do from time to time with my girl. I got her from a breeder so she had no choice. I wonder sometimes if she remembers her mother and two brothers.

It soothes me to know that both of her brothers have been adopted out separately as well so there is really nothing there for her anymore but her mom-cat.

She seems to like it here and is a very happy little kitty.. but I still wonder sometimes what she dreams about.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Betsy......don't worry too much about Penny. Even the kittens will call for a few days, looking for their siblings and old mom & dad.

She's going to adjust to you and your crew just fine. It appears to me that she likes you quite a bit, if she allows you to rub her belly. Cats won't roll onto their backs for just anyone.

Coco misses Penny alot right now, but she has taken to playing rough with Kenya, so I predict in a few days, she'll stop searching for Penny.

The boys act like she was never here.
One less cat during mealtimes, means more food for them. I imagine that is what they are thinking.

I'm glad you have Penny, she'll be well loved and cared for.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And her son, Impact. I feel like a creep, a little, pulling apart a family like that. Nial! Please tell me that I'm not a creep for ripping apart your Bengal clan!!!
if Nial didn't think that you'd make a wonderful home for Penny, she wouldn't be there with you now.You are a GREAT furMom and Penny will be fine in a day or so.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Um, I am next in line for Ferris...
Don't even try it, kiddo. I borrowed this from Ryan:

Originally Posted by GingersMom

EDIT: By the way, folks, Ferris STAYS.
But he sends his love to his fanclub, although he does say it with a little bit of a 'tude. He's having a rough day.
Fine, be that way.
I'll just sneak Ginger out when you're not looking.

Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

You are so right there, Nial.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Hey Betsy......don't worry too much about Penny. Even the kittens will call for a few days, looking for their siblings and old mom & dad.

She's going to adjust to you and your crew just fine. It appears to me that she likes you quite a bit, if she allows you to rub her belly. Cats won't roll onto their backs for just anyone.

Coco misses Penny alot right now, but she has taken to playing rough with Kenya, so I predict in a few days, she'll stop searching for Penny.

The boys act like she was never here.
One less cat during mealtimes, means more food for them. I imagine that is what they are thinking.

Thank you, Nial.
Your reassurance makes me feel a lot better.

Having Penny's Sheba here made all the difference for her - same yummy food, same kind of litter box (although different brand of litter) - I think it gave her some sense of familiarity, along with the toys you tucked into the carrier with her just before we left.

I just posted a bunch of pictures in Fur Pics.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I thought ferris would be he one with the issue.
some of your stories reminds me alot of heyu. She still mad at me for letting eazy move in.

lol your not a meaine for taking in penny. In time they will get along.
As we all know it takes time for them to get used to each other.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your life will be an adventure for the next week or so before things settle down. I am sure everything will end up great - Penny is in a great place with a great meowmy.