my new puppy

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted a puppy today to replace the aggressive one we tried to rescue.

We haven't named her yet. She is 8 weeks old and weighs 20 lbs........ She had about 5 ticks so she has already been frontlined. Otherwise she looks in great health. I'll get her shots next week.

Half bull mastiff and half great pyrenees...

She is the sweetest thing. The police found her litter and she was kennelled at the PD. The owner called and said if anyone wanted them to take em..... And since she was in jail, we took her. The other dispatchers took a few as did other officers.... 11 total in the litterl.

The mom is full blooded bullmastiff........registered. But in heat, she got with this GP dog......

She hasn't met our full crew yet but she will tomorrow. Muffin, the dauchaund likes her already. That's a big plus...

We might name her bambi... because she looks like a deer..

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks beautiful!! Another rescue! Aren't you wonderful??

But tell me - which dog did she replace? Not Charlie, surely? Did he turn out to be aggressive? I've had a search through your recent threads to see if I could find the story but no luck...did I miss something?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Charlie........... he began growling at me, causing fights daily and was agressive toward all the cats. We put him on a waiting list at several shelters and when an opening became available, we took him. I think a lot of this was under a link called "Jimmy breakthrough" or something like that. It is a catch all link for me that I post nearly everything.

It was very difficult to do but was for the good of all.

===========
We crated the puppy last night for her first night in the house and she just woke me to tinkle. It is 6:30. She goes promply when I take her out. l I am fixing to introduce her to Molly and Emmy and see how it goes...... I think they will be fine.

Also, when we rescued this puppy, she was one of the last two left. They were the ones that "were the ugliest" according to a co-worker. I think she is just beautiful. I can't even imagine what the others must have looked like......

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhh no. That is so heartbreaking. Poor little guy - I'm sure you were shattered, his was an amazing story. I guess there was a lot more in his history than anyone was aware of. But if he was putting you and your other animals in danger then it's better for him to go to another home that either doesn't have any other animals or is with someone who is able to work with him on his aggression issues. Goodness knows you have so many mouths to feed and paws to take care of, there was no way you would have been able to do that, too.

Still, you must be terribly sad about it. But you gave him the best (and probably only) possible chance at living a long and happy life. I still think you did the right thing in all respects with little Charlie Hound.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was hard to give him up. We really did love him and did all we could. My big dogs were cowed down. Especially MOlly. He took the food and did not them near me. I Had to be careful if I had my face near Molly and Emma loving them if Charlie walked up. He woudl go into attack mode. And if I corrected him, he would stand his ground and growl at me. But in spite of that, I loved him....

I try not to think about him. I don't call and check on him either. I don't want to know because if he is still at the pound, it would be very very hard to know... I told them about him needing to be an only animal and so I hope he found someone to give him a chance...

I feel this new pup will work out...... for one thing, she is a puppy. She met the big dogs today and it went well. Molly is already letting her lay in the doghouse with her. Emma let her eat with her and that's nice.. charlie was very very food aggressive. I was never able to leave him uncrated in the house because I never felt safe with him around the cats or the dogs at night. We had tried it a couple times waking to a fight in progress.

This new little girl has already pooped and tinkled outside and whines if in the house and needs to go. She has only just been weened... I told my husband we need to take her everywhere with us when we go to town or go walking and let many many people touch her and pet her... I want her extrememly social and well behaved. She is at an age where we can mold her into our family..

She is pretty calm for a puppy. The dogs were calmer with her than they were with Charlie. I sat on the back steps holding her while they smelled her all over for a good 30 minutes before I put her down. AFter an hr or so, she was in the mode. She walks on top of them while they lay down. She likes them looking at her. She gets her big ole paws and touches them. She is licking them inside their mouths...

I have never owned a bulllmastiff or a great white pyrenees so I am reading on both breeds to gain an understanding of her and her needs.

She stand on our septic tank hill out back and smells the air and listens to the birds. She is very alert and turns her little head when I talk to her as if she understands. She definately listens. We are not going to allow her on our furniture. Muffin at 9 lbs is the only dog who can get on the furniture. Puppy tried to get on the couch last night and after telling her no about three times, she got it. When she walked back to it the 4th time or so, she put her paw in the air and we could see her nearly thinking....... then she put her paw back down on the floor and we told her "good girl".....which she doesn't understand yet but she will.

She is going to be very smart......

Just have to figure out what to name her. I told my husband he can name her and I'll go along with whatever he decides.....

She is laying outside now on the back steps taking a nap with them. And also, it appears she has a good undercoat like the pyrenees which is a good thing since she is a short haired girl. I am not 100 percent sure what is puppy hair and what is not. A few months time will tell the tale. Most mastiff type dogs do not have an undercoat. Since our winters are cold, I am glad.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my she'll be a big girl when she is full grown!! 20 pounds at 8 weeks already!?!?! My Spike was 14 pounds at 8 weeks and he topped out at 95 pounds. What a sweetie pie!!

Both of my boys came from a litter of 11 puppies and we adopted Sam first - we didn't want 2 puppies at the same time. After a month of struggling with Sam trying to play with my cats (he was used to a large group to play with), we went back and adopted his brother Spike to give the cats a break.

The caution I give you is that your girl also came from a big litter and when you introduce her to your cats, she might want to wrestle with them as she did with her littermates. It is a good thing that you have other dogs to keep her occupied, but I do want to warn you about puppies from big litters.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is afraid of the cats right now because one nabbed her last night when we came in the door. So she lays on our feet when in the house or under the computer desk. She just doesn't know what to think of them yet. When she first saw them, she got in that play position however like you were talking about but they did not want to play. To them, she is "the intruder"... The ones that want to love and rub on her even scare her after being nabbed.. She'll relax when the cats relax and accept her as being part of their family.......

She has not had one single accident in the house so far........ We are crating her at night until she is housebroken..

We've been taking her in the front yard too so she can learn her boundries. I want her to be able to be out front with me when I work.......like Emma does.

And this is her second big job......... Juan said, "My god, look at the size of that"......... hahaha

I like her chest.... I am going to call her mother dog and find out when exactly her date of birth is.... I have her number at work. I want to chart her weight and stuff.... Her front legs are already a foot long...... She is going to be a tall dog.

Tell me again what type of dog Spike is..........????

And she is still nameless.....

Bambi just doesn't roll off the tongue for us. Roxie, daisy, petals.......... hard to choose. I think Roxie [roxanne] suits her or Annie...... I like both of those. Or annabelle....... or belle

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she looks like a Rosie.
But, Annabelle is nice too...maybe because I have an Annabelle?

Leave it to Juan to comment on the size of her poop

I think Juan and I would get along just fine, we seem to think alike...I would have said the same thing

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to toss those name out to Juan.....

I like Peaches a lot...... I also like annabelle because I used to have one too.... hehe

I also like Blossom but we can't name her that. We had a fawn greatdane many years ago that was named blossom. We have both commented that she looks like Blossom did at this age only bigger...

I hope he chooses Peaches. I like it alot.... It rolls off the tongue and we have never had an animal in our family named Peaches Cribbs....hehe

Hey gracie....... he might have to buy a bigger pooper scooper........hehe.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

And this is her second big job......... Juan said, "My god, look at the size of that"......... hahaha

Tell me again what type of dog Spike is..........????
Good girl!! Pooping in the yard instead of the house!!

Spike's mother was half Irish Setter and who knows what else. Spike has the head and long hair of a black setter but the body of a lab. His brother Sam looks like a Golden Retriever. Spike's mother was feral for 3 years and we think there were multiple fathers involved in that litter. The humane society vet dart gun sedated her to catch her and her 11 puppies.

She looks like a Roxie to me.

Originally Posted by jcribbs

he might have to buy a bigger pooper scooper........hehe
A heavy duty garden shovel comes to mind.......

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we definately have garden shovels.........

And Juan decided.......

BLOSSOM is her new name........ He loved the great dane blossom so much...... And this dog reminds him of her so much..... and so her name is Blossom.....

Here is a pic of Juan and the original Blossom..... napping. His back was injured and he was having to lay on the floor and so Blossom rested as well..... She was so spoiled...... She had a people pillow and could not sleep if she wasn't covered up....

She was his baby........ He has never forgot her..... I don't even remember what year these were taken. But she was special. And for him to name this new puppy blossom, means he really likes her a lot.....

I have never heard of a feral dog in the usa before. I have always been so caught up into cats that it never even crossed my mind......... wow....... thank god for the humane society and their rescues..... Irish setters are beautiful animals.......

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how sweet she looks laying there on her pillow all covered up with a blanket.

I've never heard dogs refered to as feral either, Jenn.
We just always called them wild dogs.
I guess it does make sense, if the cats are called feral then it would follow that the dogs would be too.

I remember as a little girl being in the car with my Father, we were going to visit his Uncle.
A deer ran out in front of Daddy it was being chased by a pack of feral dogs.
I was scared to death and I've never forgotten that sight.
I felt so bad for that poor deer

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh that's horrible for that poor deer.....yikes..... That definately would leave a lasting memory....

Where did you grow up?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is something I'll never forget.

I didn't stray far from where I grew up.
When we first moved in together we lived about 2 blocks from my Parents and about 4 from Mason's...we lived above a funeral home of all things.
Then when we got married we lived in a small house that his parents owned right next door to their house.

We lived there until last spring when we bought this house about three blocks from his Mom and Dad.

We live in Western PA, right between Pittsburgh and Erie.