What the heck is a spay sway?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted this here hoping to get quicker answers and ease my mind. Ok what is a spay sway? Can males get a spay sway after a neuter? And does anyone have any pictures of what it is?

I ask because I have noticed since Ping's neuter he has some loose/hanging skin on his belly by (general area of) back legs kind of area ya know. And because he has put on a little weight since then there is some fat build up in the hanging area. And well I have heard of spay sways but never really knew what it was
. And I am wondering if that is what I am seeing on Ping. Because other than that he is perfectly healthy this just has me stumped.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A spay sway is on females as far as I know.I don't think males can get it.It's when they get a belly from the spay.You know, kind of like they would look after having kits.You can see it really good when they sit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am running a google search as we type and I have read about quite a few males cats developing this after neutering. Hmmm.....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"spay sway" is a term used to describe female dogs/kitties after they've been fixed. Sometimes they develop a little loose skin/chubbiness on their bellies and as a result sort of sway when they walk. It's nothing to worry about. And no- males should not develop it as they only thing on a male cat that is cut during the neuter is the testicles (has no effects on the tummy or gait
) Also- spay sway can in part be avoided by feeding females a good balanced diet and making sure they get exercise
If your male kitty is gaining weight and walking abnormally-please have him seen by a vet just to be on the safe side.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

A spay sway is on females as far as I know.I don't think males can get it.It's when they get a belly from the spay.You know, kind of like they would look after having kits.You can see it really good when they sit.
Aww Molly has this, I call it her "mommy belly".

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm I guess I will ask the vet because between here and other places I am getting conflicting messages. He did not develope this pouch before his neuter only after. It does not really effect his walk but you can tell its there. As for food he eats about 1/2 cup of good dry a day and 2.75oz of canned a day. Plus he is active.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, a stray came into the shelter from declawed a neutered. He had "spay sway". My RB Sandy Paws had "spay sway". And Billy Bob was "spay sway", but not his twin, Tony Bob.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if food has anything to do with it.
I've never heard that before
.I would think that excersise and healing time is the main keys in getting/avoiding them.
I have a spay sway.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The "spay sway" developes where a cat normally stores extra fat. It doesn't mean a cat is fat, it is simply where the fat builds up first.

Epona had a great explanation of how this all works, but I can't find it right now!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find it please post it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They apparently slow down a bit after spaying/neutering, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're just less active, and like has been said - it's just where they store fat.

Like us having a "spare tire"

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
luxor has this and i hate is, but stoli doesn't have it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's where they develop a fat pad to protect the intestines during territorial fighting - we've all seen that cats roll onto their backs and kick with their back legs at their opponents belly, and that area has no skeletal protection.

It has nothing to do with spaying or neutering, but as it doesn't develop until about 7 or 8 months old it used to be thought that it was something to do with having them desexed at 6 months, but it isn't. It's to do with the cell biochemistry in that particular area of the body which centres fat storage in that area.

If cats become overweight, they will therefore, put on excess weight on the lower abdomen before you see it in other parts of the body (similar to how a woman will put on weight around the hips before other areas!) but cats that aren't overweight can still have a small layer of fat over the abdomen.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of my males have the spay sway to some degree - someone came up with the name for the male version for this condition but I can't remember what they called it. My females on the other hand never got the spay sway.

I think it is common for males to get a little paunch, not that it is entirely healthy for them, but as long as they don't become generally overweight or obese, my vet has never had an issue with it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

It's where they develop a fat pad to protect the intestines during territorial fighting - we've all seen that cats roll onto their backs and kick with their back legs at their opponents belly, and that area has no skeletal protection.

It has nothing to do with spaying or neutering, but as it doesn't develop until about 7 or 8 months old it used to be thought that it was something to do with having them desexed at 6 months, but it isn't. It's to do with the cell biochemistry in that particular area of the body which centres fat storage in that area.

If cats become overweight, they will therefore, put on excess weight on the lower abdomen before you see it in other parts of the body (similar to how a woman will put on weight around the hips before other areas!) but cats that aren't overweight can still have a small layer of fat over the abdomen.
wow! great info!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I don't know if food has anything to do with it.
I've never heard that before
.I would think that excersise and healing time is the main keys in getting/avoiding them.
I have a spay sway.
Awww Tammy, you have a spay sway?
My mom does too

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awww Tammy, you have a spay sway?
My mom does too
Yes, Nat.....I have a spay sway.
And I hate it with a passion.