What do you mean you haven't done his surgery yet????? (rant!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sooo upset right now. This week has been really rough. As many of ya'll know- i am fostering a beautiful Jindo dog named Norris right now after he had recently been run over by a car due to a very bad adoption. To make a long story short- he was adopted on saturday, and found by a good samaritan (in imense pain) on Thursday. When we went to pick him up and brought him back the vet that does our spay/neuters said the he had been run over at least two days before due to the swelling. So that means he was hit approx. on Tuesday. He was supposed to have had his orthapedic surgery yesterday! Ok- the last time i had called to check on him yesterday was around 2pm and they had not yet done his surgery but told me he would be ready to pick up this morning. Flash foward to this morning- when i went into work i asked my boss about what time i should go get him/etc. It was then that she told me that she was furious- when she had called the vets office- they STILL had not done his surgery!
Norris leg is broken from the hip down with shattared fragments of bone in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they had not done his surgery!
So when we called the vets office they said i could eithor come and pick him up today or leave him there until they get an available spot to do his surgery next week (probably tuesday)!!!! Uhhhhhh! I chewed them out! He was supposed to have already had his surgery! So of course- i went and picked him up to take him home. (it's not like they're going to do his surgery tomorrow or monday due to the holiday anways!) When i got there- the receptionists were very rude- they weren't helping any of the customers or doing crap! It took me 40 minutes to get sorted out where he was and get him. When i went back there- i asked if they had given him any pain meds or any antibiotics- they said they hadn't given him anything! His leg is in shambles and they did nothing for him!
The ONLY thing they did was x-ray him! So they saw how bad his leg was and still did nothing for him! Those horrid people! And do you want to know why they did nothing??? Because he is a shelter animal and has no home to go to- he is not at the top of their priority list- EVEN THOUGH our shelter pays the same amount for our animals we take there as everyone else! All those people see are dollar signs. I hope this comes back to bite them in their butts! So now poor Norris is suffering because of their cold hearts. To make things even better (please note my sarcasm
) They did not even cast his leg or stabalize it to provide support to the injury!!! What are those idiots thinking???? His leg is broken from the hip down and there are shattared fragments all throughout- if you do not stabalize it- it can make it worse and even lead to amputation!!! Yet they don't care. They were like "oh, he'll be ok" - i was like- no he will not! that is common sense- any one knows that a break needs to be supported (in most instances- but definitely in his). They are just lazy and didn't want to waste their time. They had him in a tinsy tiny cage (Norris is a big dog!) and hadn't given him any meds for the pain he was in. When i asked them if he had recently had a bowel movement or eaten, and when the last time he had been attended to- nobody could give me a straight answer. (and you know what ticks me off- at the shelter where i work- we have tons of dogs- way more than thats vets office-i can go though name by name and tell you what each dogs poo looks like, if they are sick, what meds they are on- you name it. I CARE! - they are getting paid to care for these animals yet still don't know a thing!) I'm beyond upset at this. I was origionally glad that Norris would be going to this vets office because one of the vets there is supposedly one of the best in orthapedic surgery around here. Yet now that i've seen what they've done (and this isn't the first time they've pulled something like this recently) I will NEVER bring my animals there again! They told me to bring Norris in on Wed morning when they open and they'll see if they have an available opening that day. I told them that is not good enough- that they had BETTER get him in ASAP! And boy- man i tell you what- my bosses found out what they had done and they laid into them! We are currently looking for a new vets office/contract now as a result of this and other recent issues. Our shelter animals deserve just as good of care and love as any other one does!

(rant over)

and for now- Norris is in his crate in our kitchen with me watching him around the clock. there is NO way i was leaving him there to not be proplery cared for. My boss had some pain meds at the shelter i could give him- so i've given him a dose for the night and he's resting. Please pray for Norris that the break doesn't become any worse and his leg does not need to be amputated. I am sooo upset
This little guy did not deserve any of this. When are people going to start caring
Little Norris is already starting to walk like a tripod (3 -legged animal) and is not putting any pressure or anything on that broken leg- it looks just aweful
) He seems to be getting around ok for now- we are keeping him in his kennel so he won't do any more damage to the break and only taking him outside to go potty on a lead. He is just the best dog too- loves all my other animals, is completly house broken, knows all his commands...he's just amazing. He didn't deserve this
As of right now i have not bandaged his leg because if i do it even the slightest bit wrong....it can do more harm than good since the break is soo bad. They should have at least casted it until his surgery

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WTH!?!?! Is there anyplace else that can do the surgery? That joint sounds like a doosy!! Poor Norris....at least you guys are caring for him, unlike the ortho staff!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

WTH!?!?! Is there anyplace else that can do the surgery? That joint sounds like a doosy!! Poor Norris....at least you guys are caring for him, unlike the ortho staff!!
That's the problem.
They closed at 1 today (and we didn't find out until around 11am that they hadn't done it yet). And all of the clinics around here are closed tomorrow and monday for the holiday
The only place left is the after hours emergency clinic- and they do not have the facility/equiptment for the orthapedic surgery he needs. I feel totally helpless.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please tell me this place does a good job in surgeries, then! And, man.....you guys should get a discount or something....I mean, they told you he'd be having surgery & he did not!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Please tell me this place does a good job in surgeries, then! And, man.....you guys should get a discount or something....I mean, they told you he'd be having surgery & he did not!!
They are supposed to be one of the bests as far as orthapedic surgery goes (at least the one vet there.) But i'm starting to doubt that sincerly as no good vet would EVER send do what they did (rather did not do) to Norris. You should see his poor leg

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fuming just reading about this. It's inexcusable to ignore such a badly injured animal -- triage is supposed to be about the medical need, not the convenience of the owner!

Bless you for standing up for this poor dog. I'm sending all my best be-well vibes to him...and when he's able to handle a hug, please give him one for me.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm fuming just reading about this. It's inexcusable to ignore such a badly injured animal -- triage is supposed to be about the medical need, not the convenience of the owner!

Bless you for standing up for this poor dog. I'm sending all my best be-well vibes to him...and when he's able to handle a hug, please give him one for me.
thankyou sweetie- i appreciate that. i am very upset over how they've done poor norris. he's just an innocent animal- he did not deserve to be treated like this just because he's a shelter dog. would a pediatrician refuse to treat a child just because it lives at an orphanage??? no. no good doctor (vet or otherwise) should ever refuse a paitent in bad need of care. and it's not like they weren't going to get paid for it eithor. the shelter is owned by the city- i assure you they will get paid
some people! uhhh. And thankyou for the hugs
I'll be sure to give Norris lots of them (nothing wrong with his neck
) i've been giving him treats and kisses all night long- he's soooooooooooo sweet!!!! (and totally enjoying being spoiled rotten here too
) even colin likes him!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How could people be so stupid and inconsiderate? Unless they got a ton of animals on their death bed come in on Friday, the surgery should have been one of their top priorities.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got more angry as I read through your post. It should NOT matter whether the animal is a shelter animal or goes home with someone. It is still a LIVING BEING!
If you are a true vet office, you have a heart, and want to do the best possible for the animal so as to promote a better chance of them being adopted out. I would seriously NEVER take any of your pets or shelter animals there again. I would also tell anyone you know includding adoptees to never bring their animals there either. You want them to lose business and hopefully be shut down eventually if this is truly their behavior.
Our vet's office has always been very kind and responsive to animals. Even taking in birds and other animals who have been hurt and individual vet tech working on trying to rehabilitate them.
I am so upset that they did NOT even give pain medication! In a world as ours where money is the primary concern, Norris is truly the one that has suffered due to a lack of empathy, sympathy, and intellect on part of the vet and their employees.
I wonder how they would feel if we ran them over, broke their leg and let them suffer just as they let Norris. I would file a formal complaint in writing to a Veterinary commission, because if you truly think about it, it is animal abuse for not even administering pain medication when they clearly knew and understood the condition and pain Norris was in, and failure to do so is neglect.
I am glad that you were able to take Norris home where he will be given much better care for sure. My heart goes out to Norris who has taken the brunt of this unexcusable service this vet has not provided. Keep us posted.

Sabrina

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? that poor poor pooch. I am shocked at how cruel people can be sometimes, some people really should not be working with animals. I'll be sending lots of prayers and healing bibes for this baby & that when he does have the surgery it will be a quick recovery. I'm sure the pooch is grateful you are doing what you can for him as are we!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a veterinary complaints line or anything? Maybe try the ASPCA? I think you need to make a formal complaint - with your bosses approval, or get her to make it. To leave a badly injured dog that long is neglect.

When Stumpy first got picked by our AC officers with her broken pelvis and tail and taken to the vet we use for that kind of surgery, she was so well taken care of. She got the best care, and the shelter gets a huge discount.

I take our girls back to the same vet who took care of her, and she was so excited I brought Stumpy back into her so she could see how well she was doing. She gave Stumpy lots of cuddles through her checkup, and when she was talking to me she was rubbing Stumpy's head the whole time.

THAT'S what I expect from a vet who works with a shelter. They possibly care more for these guys because they know they're in s stressful situation as it is.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so awful, Nikki! I'm so sorry
for you and Norris.

I would seriously call AC&C in your city and file a report. That is totally abusive, IMO. No one would even even CONSIDER doing that to a human patient!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, poor Norris!! Can you get some antibiotics for him to carry you thru the weekend? And what type of pain meds did the shelter give you? If its pred, that's good cause it will help with any inflamation, but pred counteracts antibiotics.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just... have no words. I'm shocked anyone would do such a thing...especially a vet.... I just... man... I don't even know....

All I have is a
for you and Norris.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone who has commented. I am still furious with this vets office. My bosses will be gone until Tues (i'm off work tues/wed) so i will call on tuesday and talk to them about calling the vet board or whomever we need to call to file a complaint. The only thing that might make that difficult is the shelter is owned by the city. And we (as a branch of the Public Works dpt at the shelter) have a contract i believe with this vets office. So we'll have to get approval on several levels to find a new clinic/etc. There are thankfully, MANY excellent vet clinics around here though, so hopefully once everything gets sorted out- we can find a good one that will take care of our shelter animals like they deserve! I am sooo upset over this it isn't even funny. Norris was whining this morning when i took him outside to go potty. His leg that is injured is the one that he would normally raise up when he goes to potty....but now that he can't he tried to aim as best he could be still wound up peeing on his front leg
Poor little fella. (no worries, i cleaned him off and gave him lots of treats!) I just feel soo bad for him, if i knew how to fix that leg i would myself! Unfortunately, i am only a vet. tech and do not have orthapedic surgery experience so that's not going to happen. For right now, Norris is taking Metacam. It's a pain med/anti inflamatory. We are not supposed to give him much of anything else as it may cause his blood to thin before his surgery, and since he's having orthapedic surgery- we do not need blood issues duing a long surgery. Please keep my sweet little foster pup in your prayers that he will be ok until his surgery. I am soo upset over this. / I will snap some pictures of little Norris soon for everyone to see what a handsome guy he is! He's a total sweetheart!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG, Gary and I are sitting here horrified! I mean - not even pain meds or antibiotics? And what's with the emergency vet - they're not equipped for surgery? Around here, that is the POINT of emergency vets! I'm stunned, I'm shocked, I'm outraged!

Poor, poor Norris! I am SO glad he has you!

We are sending HUGE "be well and pain free" vibes to Norris! Poor baby!

and tummy pets to Norris!

Laurie

iluvcandy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest that you file papers to sue the clinic, if only to scare them, but it sounds like you can't. Can you as a citizen, not an employee, do it? But not at the expense of losing your job, all the other animals need you too. Have you ever watched the Animal Cops shows on the Animal Planet channel? Do you have anything like that in Tennessee? If you do, then I think you should call them, what they're doing is soooo cruel. Since you pay the same money as everyone else, they should have (by law, I bet) done the surgery right away. And with the holidays coming, how much longer can they make Norris wait?

You should take pictures, or videotape (so you can have a date on the tape).
Do this every day and document everything, and let the clinic see you doing this. Unfortunately, suing is the great American pastime now, it's the only way you can get things done, the clinic losing money and getting a bad reputation is the only thing that counts to them. It has to be against the law to let an animal wait this long with no pain medication or surgery. Maybe a local news/radio station? If they waited so long while the animal is in pain, it should be easy severing ties with this clinic. Just document everything,

If all else fails, call PETA - I'm not kidding. I think anyone would rather be sued than have to deal with PETA. I've found in life that sometimes you have to be a loud-mouthed so and so to get things done.

Bless you for caring, Norris and all the other animals are so lucky to have you.