Canker Sore Help

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello All!
Does anyone have a remedy for canker sores? I get them whenever I am stressed or run down. I must be the latter because I have two now. Thanks in advance!
Catfriend

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when i get one in my mouth like that- i put a little hydrogen peroxide on the tip of a q-tip and apply it to that area for a few seconds. It will fizz a bit and help it heal.also- avoid using mouthwash with an alcohol base (many types of listerine have it in there.) instead, opt for a mouthwash that is alcohol free- Crest Pro-Health (the entire line) is wonderful!
And avoid anything with citrus as far as fruits/juices go for a little while

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get them really bad....so bad that I have a prescription that I fill when I get them. I think they're some kind of auto immune disorder in me. Sometimes I'll have as many 12 or 13 of them all on the back of my throat, uvula and tonsil fossa area, and they can be as big around as a pencil eraser!!! My ears will hurt because they're near my eustachian tubes and it hurts so bad to swallow that I can't eat any thing and can only drink something bland like milk.

My doctor gives me a script for a mixture that I need to have made up at a compounding pharmacy. It is 1/3 Benedryl elixer, 1/3 Maalox, 1/3 dexamethasone elixer. I rinse or gargle with it 4 times a day. I think the steroid helps them to heal faster, the Benedryl drys them out and the Maalox coats them.

Good luck. I feel for you....they're no fun at all!!!

Pookie & the girls

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canker sore or cold sore? They are different.

A canker sore is inside the mouth.

A cold sore is on the outside of the mouth around the lip area and is caused by the Herpes Virus.

Don't pick at them. For cold sores keep them moist by applying vaseline petroleum jelly to it. Use a Q-Tip so that you don't spread the virus around with your finger. And don't lick at it with your tongue either :p

For canker sores inside your mouth, rinse your mouth with warm salty water several times per day. Avoid hard or acidic foods.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when I was younger, I would get them so bad that I would have 10+ in my mouth at once. I couldn't eat or drink anything! But I used Kanka or another brand of something similar. What is does is numb the area and puts a protective white film over it. So you can eat and drink and you don't feel the pain. Usually the film just slowly dissolves but it takes while unless you are continuously eating or drinking. Works well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Yes, I mean canker sores.
Fortunately I have never gotten cold sores.
Pookie-Poo, I am sorry you get canker sores so badly.
What does the Vegemite do??

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catfriend

What does the Vegemite do??
The salt kills bacteria and helps dry out the wound, vitamin B promotes healing.

I'm sure if you googled 'natural mouth ulcer remedies' you'd get loads of information. There are heaps of natural remedy websites around.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

For canker sores inside your mouth, rinse your mouth with warm salty water several times per day. Avoid hard or acidic foods.
That is what i always do.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The salt kills bacteria and helps dry out the wound, vitamin B promotes healing.

I'm sure if you googled 'natural mouth ulcer remedies' you'd get loads of information. There are heaps of natural remedy websites around.
Ohh thanks for the tip. I love vegemite!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Cool! Thanks!