TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › What has happened to the english language?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What has happened to the english language? - Page 4

post #91 of 101
OK, now I'm feeling pretty good for a 60+ year old - I had actually figured that one out all by myself.
post #92 of 101
OMG! I would have never got that one-- IYKWIM Trust me, I stared at it for SEVERAL minutes!
post #93 of 101
IYKWIM is easier than some, just because it's actually the initials of a phrase people use. IKWYM is strange too.

DH had me stumped for months. NOBODY actually refers to their husband as "dear husband" in conversation, so I never got it, in some posts it seemed to mean the d-word, or dumb, or in some dead. I get it now but it just never made sense.
post #94 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
IYKWIM is easier than some, just because it's actually the initials of a phrase people use. IKWYM is strange too.

DH had me stumped for months. NOBODY actually refers to their husband as "dear husband" in conversation, so I never got it, in some posts it seemed to mean the d-word, or dumb, or in some dead. I get it now but it just never made sense.
Yeah, when I was new here on TCS.... I kept thinking in my head it was 'designated husband'. I had to actually ask someone what DH was. LOL.

It's actually just easier for me to type out the words then to figure this out....IKWYM and IYKWIM. But for the shortcuts like LOL,G2G, TTYL, and others... it's faster to type the shortcut then the long word out!

To the point, I understand this thread was about the english language more in specific, not shortcuts really (I don't think). I guess there's just a line between generations, and we just don't understand one another fully!
post #95 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post

DH had me stumped for months. NOBODY actually refers to their husband as "dear husband" in conversation, so I never got it, in some posts it seemed to mean the d-word, or dumb, or in some dead. I get it now but it just never made sense.

You've got that right.
If I ever called Mason "Dear Husband" he'd want to know what was wrong with me
post #96 of 101
I think the real thing that is being lost in teaching toward tests instead of true proficiency is writing for your audience.

I really don't have a problem with the u and ur type of language in texts to your friends. I don't go through posts here with a fine-toothed comb looking for spelling and grammar mistakes (though I do just see them, like the ones that Linda pointed out earlier. I see them when I reading books or articles too and that really does drive me nuts because there are supposed to be editors to pick up on those errors before they go to print.). This is an informal atmosphere and I recognize that. I will admit, though, that I do tend to scrutinize my own posts and try to use proper spelling and grammar because I'm a moderator, and like it or not the badge does carry some expectations with it.

However, the real issue I have is when the shortcuts and lazy-speak spill into formal writing. There is a difference in tone and style and I do think that is being lost. I say that from experience in the business world, and in working with engineers just out of college.
post #97 of 101
i have dyslexia also, very bad case of it, at least for me it never really moved into my ability to read, or math. i have seen stories of people who have it so bad they have a hard time dialing phone numbers.
post #98 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
I think the real thing that is being lost in teaching toward tests instead of true proficiency is writing for your audience.

I really don't have a problem with the u and ur type of language in texts to your friends. I don't go through posts here with a fine-toothed comb looking for spelling and grammar mistakes (though I do just see them, like the ones that Linda pointed out earlier. I see them when I reading books or articles too and that really does drive me nuts because there are supposed to be editors to pick up on those errors before they go to print.). This is an informal atmosphere and I recognize that. I will admit, though, that I do tend to scrutinize my own posts and try to use proper spelling and grammar because I'm a moderator, and like it or not the badge does carry some expectations with it.

However, the real issue I have is when the shortcuts and lazy-speak spill into formal writing. There is a difference in tone and style and I do think that is being lost. I say that from experience in the business world, and in working with engineers just out of college.

I will agree with this one! Even though this whole time I've been fighting to not give in, LOL, I do understand your point of view. When something is publicly released it should be PERFECT, because it does make a good impression to the readers. These people are paid money to make sure their article, book, magazine or whatever comes out looking good without all the spelling errors, etc! But I guess originally, I thought you guys were referring to the short cuts we use on TCS, messenger, text, etc. That was what I was most upset about since we aren't trying to write a paper or anything, we're trying to communicated and that's it!
post #99 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyphx View Post
I will agree with this one! Even though this whole time I've been fighting to not give in, LOL, I do understand your point of view. When something is publicly released it should be PERFECT, because it does make a good impression to the readers. These people are paid money to make sure their article, book, magazine or whatever comes out looking good without all the spelling errors, etc! But I guess originally, I thought you guys were referring to the short cuts we use on TCS, messenger, text, etc. That was what I was most upset about since we aren't trying to write a paper or anything, we're trying to communicated and that's it!
Aw, we weren't meaning to do that. Glad you understand and don't have your knickers in a knot over it. U r kool!
post #100 of 101
LOL, ur kewl 2!
post #101 of 101
Thread Starter 
Heidi summed up what I was trying to say. I don't care about the spelling here, it is just when it filtrates into the professional sector that it annoys me. Oh and the way some people don't make use of paragraphs.

Have a gr8 day!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › What has happened to the english language?