Prayers requested for a friend

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out today that a good friend of my good friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

She is about 28 years old and is currently pregnant with her second child. Her little girl is just over a year old.

Thankfully she is far enough along in her pregnancy, that she can wait and carry the baby to term before starting chemo...but if it had been earlier in the pregnancy, she basically would have had to choose between the baby's life and her own

Please send prayers for this young family. She is an amazing woman, we have hung out a bunch of times, and she and her hubby are both really awesome, fun people.

Thanks guys.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat, your friend is in my prayers.I pray she can carry the baby to term and that she beats Breast Cancer.

arielrain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to this woman. Prayers and good vibes coming her way. I wish her strength and courage through her ordeal.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please have your friend call the American Cancer Society's 800 number -- let me get it for you...

1-800-ACS-2345

My best friend in all the world is a supervisor now at the national ACS call center, taking calls from cancer patients and their families. It's astonishing what an array of services, information, ideas, and general support they can either provide or refer you to! From finding financial assistance to choosing the right therapy to getting a ride to your chemo appointments to having a free place to stay during treatment to getting a free wig if you lose your hair, and much more.

The key is to call, and if you don't feel you got the level of help I'm describing here, call back... and call back again if necessary, until you get a representative who really responds to your needs, asks a lot of questions, and takes time to figure out all the ways they may be able to help. Not every rep is that good... but many of them are, and it's worth it to keep calling until you get one of them.

There's a lot of help out there for breast cancer patients, including support groups and mentors that can really help during the longterm aftermath, as well. There's every reason to have high hopes for her full recovery!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Please have your friend call the American Cancer Society's 800 number -- let me get it for you...

1-800-ACS-2345

My best friend in all the world is a supervisor now at the national ACS call center, taking calls from cancer patients and their families. It's astonishing what an array of services, information, ideas, and general support they can either provide or refer you to! From finding financial assistance to choosing the right therapy to getting a ride to your chemo appointments to having a free place to stay during treatment to getting a free wig if you lose your hair, and much more.

The key is to call, and if you don't feel you got the level of help I'm describing here, call back... and call back again if necessary, until you get a representative who really responds to your needs, asks a lot of questions, and takes time to figure out all the ways they may be able to help. Not every rep is that good... but many of them are, and it's worth it to keep calling until you get one of them.

There's a lot of help out there for breast cancer patients, including support groups and mentors that can really help during the longterm aftermath, as well. There's every reason to have high hopes for her full recovery!
Thank you very much for the number..but I am not sure she can use it as she is Canadian...
There is probably a Canadian equivalent?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry Natalie. I know exactly how you feel. I'm sending many good vibes your way and wish only the best for your friend. A coworker of mine who I consider a friend was just diagnosed with breast cancer a little over a week ago. She is only 38 and has a 5 year old son.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will pray for your friend. I did read somewhere,and then saw it on a tv program, where they are discovering that women who choose to continue with their pregnancies and be treated with chemo (not radiation) at the same time are having healthy babies, and I believe it was on tv because they were doing further investigations into it. So there is hope there, too.

Here's a couple of links about chemo during the second and third trimesters. I googled "breast cancer, pregnancy, chemo treatment while pregnant" I think:

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-...34353-105.html

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/FPS/co...ast_Cancer.asp

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Here's a couple of links about chemo during the second and third trimesters. I googled "breast cancer, pregnancy, chemo treatment while pregnant" I think:

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-...34353-105.html

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/FPS/co...ast_Cancer.asp
I added these, and then realized that there were now posts after mine- they are really good helpful and hopeful articles about pregnancy, cancer and chemo during pregnancy, and I wanted to make sure you saw them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the links

Unfortunately, I don't "know" about this yet. We are not super close, but she is my friends best friend, so I have spent some time with her. She hasn't told ME yet..so I can't really be giving her advice just yet.

She had some genetic testing done a couple of years back, and apparently when they did the testing she did have the cancer cells already, so they knew she would probably get it..she was going every 6 months for breast exams to try and catch it early. The lump is the size of a plum
So it seems to have grown a heck of a lot for it only being 6 months old.

I hope she does tell me about this soon, so i can start being there for her.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheesh -- silly of me not to think of that. But I checked it out, and actually, the American Cancer Society is happy to take her call!

They won't have local resources to refer her to in Canada, but all their vast wealth of medical information will be available. They can help her understand exactly what it is she's got, what stage it's in, what the stage means, how all the various treatment options work, what the statistics are in each case, what questions she may want to ask her doctor, all the issues to be considered in choosing a treatment plan... the most critical part of their service is absolutely available to her! So that's good.

And she might also contact the International Union Against Cancer, which serves as a clearinghouse for resources in over 80 countries:

www.uicc.org
International Phone Number: 41 228 091 811

So there you go -- I hope it helps!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness Nat,
I'm sorry. We are going through cancer with a very young friend of ours, too, and it's shattering. All of my thoughts going towards your friend and her family.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that. Thoughts and praryer going out to her and her family. My best friend just underwent surgery for breast cancer earlier this month, and she is doing great! Catching it early is the big thing.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about giving the information to your friend so she can tell her?

I've known several women who were diagnosed with breast cancer at very early ages. One is a diabetic who was also pregnant at the time. Both she and her baby are doing just great - and it's 14 years later now.

Sending "be well" vibes to both mom and baby!

Laurie