What are all these underlined things ....

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
or is anyone else getting double underlined words? And if you put your mouse over it you get an Content Link advert?

When did this start?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Anne's post came up just as I uploaded the thread!!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see them either.But, that may be because I am a paying member.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Please check the announcement thread. Paying members that switch off advertising won't be seeing these ads

We are testing this form of advertising for the next few weeks. If you happen to see ad that you feel is inappropriate, of if this causes any problems to your browser, or whatever, please drop me a line! If it's an inappropriate ad report, please include the URL of the website advertised.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol now that i am home i can see it,
i understand people gotta make money

but its kinda of annoying.
but like i said i know people gotta make money

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I don't see them either.But, that may be because I am a paying member.
I have them turned off... oh the joys of being a paid member here!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are REALLY distracting. I realise TCS has to make money to keep the site going, and I know I can pay to be a premium member to turn these off, but I think $60/year is expensive, and I'd rather just click on the non-obtrusive ads when I see something interesting to support TCS.

The content link for those who haven't noticed (or are premium members), are the double underlined words that are a different colour, and if you manage to scroll over them, it has an annoying pop up ad.

Like I said, I am all for supporting TCS, but these are the worst kind of annoying ads, and are distracting to reading posts - none of the other ads actually distract me from reading information.

To those who decided FOR them - I hope they're worth the annoyance they cause...

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne posted something in the Announcements forum about them...I agree...they are very annoying and I can't afford a paid membership right now....Plus when you cut and paste something from a post (I e-mailed a few friend the BBQ Rules joke) the underlining transfers to the e-mail.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree at their annoyance and may just dive in and pay the $60 annual fee to get rid of them.

They are a lot better than another forum I'm on though...I can't get rid of them there if I hover over one. At least these do away.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I agree at their annoyance and may just dive in and pay the $60 annual fee to get rid of them.

They are a lot better than another forum I'm on though...I can't get rid of them there if I hover over one. At least these do away.
They do at the moment...

And if I was coming in now as a new member I'd be more likely to not bother staying because I hate hate hate in text spam.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I just turned of my option to turn off ads. I don't think they are that bad. Just be careful and don't put your mouse over them if you don't want to see them. They are far worse on other sites. Actually I had to look through several threads before I found one of them in this thread cause some one wrote the word s p a m.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
As I explained in the announcement thread, we are currently testing this advertising mode. It may or may not stay, depending on several factors. User experience is definitely one major factor there so I appreciate the input. I will be moving this thread to the feedback forum and merging it with an existing thread on the same topic. Please see my posts to that thread where I addressed several points. I do welcome more feedback, as long as it's within our guidelines. If you're not sure, just drop me a PM and really let out some steam (I don't bite, only scratch
).

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
ok, threads merged - please do keep feedback coming. I always like feedback, let's just please keep it friendly and respectful

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just an update. Following feedback, we have already disabled the new ad format in the bridge forum, out of respect to the special nature of that board.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Ok, one more post and then I'm outta here for the evening (honestly, not posting to gain points!
)

I have been browsing the board for a the past half an hour, and I have to say I don't find these links so obtrusive. Unless I hover on them with the cursor, they are just words, formatted as links. I don't even get the little content balloon showing, as long as I don't hover over them on purpose. Not trying to belittle anyone's exprience as presented here, just wondering maybe you're seeing something different?

I only get 3-4 of them per page - are you guys seeing more? If so, can you please share more info? Thanks!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't really bother me. They are on a few websites I often visit. But I have noticed today that when I scroll down the pages it's kind of skips
Don't know if that has anything to do with the ads but it's only been happening on this site.