Snowshoe/Siamese

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm finally a foster home for Siamese Cat Rescue Center and have my first foster, Clarence. He's a Snowshoe. Is the only reason he's called a Snowshoe because of his white paws? Are they different personality wise?

Here are some pics...

To see more pics go here

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Snowshoe is actually a recognized breed of cat, created by crossing the Siamese with either an Oriental Shorthair or American Shorthair. They now occur mostly from Snowshoe to Snowshoe breedings.

Did Clarence have pedigree documents to prove his Snowshoe lineage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clarence was a stray. A woman who feeds a colony of feral and dumped pet cats found him. Rather, he found her as after checking her out for a few days he then ran over to her and flopped at her feet.

He is very friendly and takes to complete strangers. He is only about a year old and is still all kitten. At the moment he's sitting in my kitchen sink.
He adapts to new situations very quickly. He's not that talkative unless he wants something. His activity level is not much different than my DSHs.

He is a total sweetheart, though plays rough. His favorite thing is to pounce on your arm or leg, wrap his front paws around you and give you love bites and rabbit kicks. It's not bad if you're wearing long sleeves and jeans, but now that it's warm...OUCH!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he is lovely ... but please call him a snowshoe mix

I had a snow mix once and I call them mild siamese .. he was quieter yet still talked ... almost siamese

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would he be considered a chocolate point siamese/snowshoe mix?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Snowshoe mix ... I will let the experts chime in but I say seal pt

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way you describe his personality sounds so much like my Seb about 10 years ago
Seb is not a snowshoe, though

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely Seal Point. Too dark for Chocolate Point.

The reason I asked about pedigree papers (if they existed) was because a lot of breeders have a return-to-breeder-only clause ... if this boy was pedigreed, I feel certain his breeder would want to know of his whereabouts.

As he was a stray, that wouldn't apply here, I suppose. It is good of you to take him on, he sounds like an absolute love-bucket!

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like a definite Snowshoe mix to me - Seal Point.

He is really pretty and looks VERY happy. I can't imagine him being a real stray. Sounds like someone put him out close to your friend's place knowing he would be taken care of.

I moved to the country on about 3 acres years ago from New Orleans. In New Orleans, I used to feed all the stray cats that came into the yard and do a catch, neuter, and release program with them. Now, living in the country, I am AMAZED at how many times there will be a kitten on the front porch or in a tree outside crying. People drive by and just drop them off. As long as I live, I will never understand idiots like that. I, then, have to do all the work in finding these babies homes. It is, also, a job to keep them separate from my show cats until they are fully checked out and I know that they are not carrying any illness. I guess people know that I am a sucker for any stray animal.

Anyway (guess I rambled a bit there
), he looks like a real sweetheart and looks happy to be in such a great home. Congratulations!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful! He sounds similar to my Radar in personality - he gets very excited when he meets new people - bowls up to them and wraps around their arms or legs nipping and kicking
it's only 'play' to him but a bit rough on the human involved - he's a real handful.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also believe he belonged to someone at one time. His fur and overall condition was very good, something you don't see with cats that have been on their own. I just don't understand people who can dump animals like trash.

Clarence is a real scoundrel and you never know what he's going to do. He loves ambushing you and he's gotten me twice so far this morning. He's currently lying under my chair as I type this. I'm being very picky about his forever home. No dogs, even though he is living with two at the moment. He's just too 'in your face' and enjoys whacking them when the whim hits him. He needs to go to a home with an equally outgoing and playful cat (or cats) within the New England area.

If you know anyone looking for a year old scoundrel, please let me know.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he is so handsome and sounds like a great cat. If I lived in your area I would definitely be interested. I can't imagine he will have to wait very long for a great home.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a seal point snowshoe mix. The snowshoe breed is not accepted in all associations (I thought CFA did, but they don't). As a pedigree cat, they only accept the seal and blue ponts right now.

He's probably a mix or a byb's idea of a snowshoe. And yes, that's probably where they got the name - from the white paws

Here's a little background of the breed (from ACFA standards):

http://www.acfacats.com/snowshoe_synopsis.htm

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link, interesting information. I had no idea they were considered a separate breed until I started this thread. I also didn't realize they were so recent a recognized breed. If he was a byb cat, I don't know if they were going for a Snowshoe or a Siamese. He also has white line down his belly. Either way I hope he finds his forever home soon. He has many inquiries, just not the right one has come along yet.

Clarence would like to say thank you...

He really knows how to play to the camera...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had looked into getting a Snowshoe a while back. The gene that produces the white markings is unpredictable and the show standard for the markings is very exact. I think that is why there are very few reputable breeders, it is so hard to breed a cat that is show quality. Any breeder including a reputable one could have been going for the correct markings and gotten a cat that looks like Clarence. Which for cat lovers looking for a pet is fine because he is so handsome.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be still my heart! If I weren't getting my little Cosmo in 2 weeks, I would be driving right to your door...I just live up the road in N.H. I am amazed at how mellow he is with your dogs and your cats. How long have you had him - he looks so calm and relaxed like he belongs right where he is! He really is a beautiful boy!