I'm really desperate... please help me, Singa and Soleil with nutrition issues

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I don't know how many of you have been following my stories..

I have Singa (2 yrs female) and Soleil (5.5 motnhs female). I have a problem with finding the right nutrition for the two.

Basically, I am currently trying to get them of "Fussie Cat", which is mainly a tuna (plus whatever) diet. My vet told me it is very unhealthy and I should go for "Addiction". Tried the switch, but it just won't work. See my thread "Tuna Junkies" - you will see I have now tried other wet that is apparently more healthy as well, without luck.
Got some great tips - however I just noticed they will always fail.

Here is the thing. I free-feed - both dry (royal canine) and wet - whereas of course the will rather go for the dry now that I am trying to switch to "healthier" food. I tried not giving them free-feed so that they develop a natural hunger feeling.

And that is where the problem comes in. I just realized why I chose to free-feed! ! !

Singa cannot eat when she is hungry. As soon as she is a bit hungry, she will gobble everything down (and I tried putting a spoon in her bowl and all to try to get her to eat slowly), so that she thorw it all up within at least 15 minutes. ( I just realized this was alyas a problem until I free fed her)

So now (today and the days before) I have given them their healthier option together with some dry kibbles mixed in on top - did not work, so this evening I gave them more dry than wet, so that they do not starve too much and Singa throws it all up within 5 minutes.

Basically she has not eaten at all then today - since yesterday evening - 24 hrs!

I really do not know what to do now???
I don't want to hurt her by not getting enough nutrition/food. I do not want to give her the wrong food either!
I gave them the tuna Fussie Cat always together with Chicken "royal canine" dry - is this really so bad that they may suffer serious illnesses later???

Please help - I do not know how to solve this problem!!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should feed Singha small portions at a time. just put a little in the bowl, let her gobble that, then spoon in a little more a minute later, break it down to maybe 4 portions, try to time it at the same pace the other cat is eating. Maybe this will help her learn to slow down, and stop the upchucking.
Mine get fed twice a day, i/3 can of wet and very few kibbles after they eat their wet. They finish it all most of the time, might leave a bite or two, which one of them will get to in an hour or so.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have Solid Gold??? they have a cat tuna that is complete and okay to feed daily

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely not an expert on nutrition, but I would say feed her the Fussie cat for now if she will eat it, because it's better than not eating at all.

Can you maybe try finding another brand that has tuna flavor and also has other flavors available? Maybe if you get them interested in the tuna from the other brand, you can gradually switch to the other flavors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Do you have Solid Gold??? they have a cat tuna that is complete and okay to feed daily
We have a couple of Solid Gold types. Didn't look out for Tuna tho since I thought it was no good. But the other Solid Gold I tried feeding them (some blueish can) they won't touch at all. They actually really look disgusted when they smell it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have finally made progress

Last week after all the problems, my BF gave them NB Indoor Formula - without me knowing it - and they both ate it without a fuss. They cleared the whole bowl overnight !
I was so surprised and happy!
I had gone out to buy some Fancy Feast (I know it's dang unhealthy, but just to get them off the Tuna) and planned to give that mixed with the healthy stuff, but I really don't need this anymore.
Now I can give them NB and Avoderm without a problem. I but some bits of dry on top and off they go

Thanks all for your support!