Ferris growled at Penny!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a surprise to me!

I sort of expected him to run right up to her purring, but he is currently telling her that he takes 2nd place in the hierarchy around here.

Penny is still under my bed, but I decided to open the doors to my room and see what happens. (It is over 80 degrees in the house and I do not have a/c, so I need the air flow in there to cool things down a little.)

Ginger had a very brief face to face, growled, but backed away and has chosen to steer clear for now. Ferris, on the other hand, is the one stalking Penny at the moment.

I had SO expected it to be Ginger as the main aggressor! That shows you how much I know!

Penny has just now taken a few steps out of my room, unaccosted, but after looking around a bit, decided to go back under my bed.

I dosed her with vanilla this morning to match the other two, and have tried creating a "house smell" on her by petting Ginger & Ferris and then her with the same hand a few times.

We'll get there sooner rather than later.

So far we've had just the standard growling with a little bit of hissing thrown in from Ginger, and an occasional meow from Penny, but no one is attacking anyone. Let's hope it stays that way.

I don't mind if it takes them all some time to get to know each other - as long as there is no blatent cat-fighting, I think we are, as Ryan says, g2g!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She's not taking any guff, it seems.
She is now wandering into the living room to check it out.

I offered them all some nip, Ginger is toasted on top of the kitty condo in the kitchen, Ferris rubbed his face in some and is once again stalking Penny.

I have to keep my eye on them...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, as you know, and others kept telling me,
It will take time, for everyone to get along

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I brought home Dr Claw to my shock and amazement Scratch growled at him. We didn't even think he could make noises like that. Feliway, and lots of petting should calm everything down. In a few weeks it will be like Penny was always there.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's making a wide berth around him, checking everything out. I think he's feeling threatened by the new girl! Well, he's the baby, so I'm not completely surprised by his reaction.

Ginger has surprised me. I've given her lovies and kisses, and since that one face to face with Penny, she has acted like she doesn't care.

This is so interesting - I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but still, no real problems, and Penny is being very brave.

Nial has told me that she is a cat's cat, and not much of a people person, and I'm quite ok with that. She gave me a few moments overnight while she was giving me a what for, and gave me her belly to rub, so I pretty much see where I stand with her.

She just meowed at me and ran through the room.
There was no one chasing her.

This is going to work out fine. I expect some sort of physical confrontations - like the sharp reprimand and smack on the head that Ginger gave Ferris earlier for showing so much interest in Penny.

I am trying to take picures but Penny won't stay still and pose for me!!! I have lots of blurry shots, though.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

She's making a wide berth around him, checking everything out. I think he's feeling threatened by the new girl! Well, he's the baby, so I'm not completely surprised by his reaction.

Ginger has surprised me. I've given her lovies and kisses, and since that one face to face with Penny, she has acted like she doesn't care.

This is so interesting - I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but still, no real problems, and Penny is being very brave.

Nial has told me that she is a cat's cat, and not much of a people person, and I'm quite ok with that. She gave me a few moments overnight while she was giving me a what for, and gave me her belly to rub, so I pretty much see where I stand with her.

She just meowed at me and ran through the room.
There was no one chasing her.

This is going to work out fine. I expect some sort of physical confrontations - like the sharp reprimand and smack on the head that Ginger gave Ferris earlier for showing so much interest in Penny.

I am trying to take picures but Penny won't stay still and pose for me!!! I have lots of blurry shots, though.
Blurry shots are better than no shots!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the towel trick would work.Take 2 towels and rub Penny with it.Then place one by Ferris and one by Ginger(their favorite resting spot is a good place).Let them get use to her scent for a day or even a few hours.Then take the same towel that you gave Ferris and rub him with it.Then the same with Ginger.Put them where Penny will be able to smell them.That SHOULD help in the intros.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Maybe the towel trick would work.Take 2 towels and rub Penny with it.Then place one by Ferris and one by Ginger(their favorite resting spot is a good place).Let them get use to her scent for a day or even a few hours.Then take the same towel that you gave Ferris and rub him with it.Then the same with Ginger.Put them where Penny will be able to smell them.That SHOULD help in the intros.
Actually, a few weeks ago I sent a blanket that they both slept on to Nial along with the carrier that I brought her back in. I also sent a towel that I'd requested that he rub on Penny and send back to me in advance of my getting her. Thanks to the USPS, that didn't quite work out. Still no sign of the package.

Instead, I put the carrier and the flannel pillowcase that Penny had ridden on in the carrier out into the living room last night right away, so they've been smelling her all night long.

Right this moment, Penny is making several circuits of the apartment, talking up quite a storm. I wish I understood her...I know she's missing her NC home.

Ferris is just following her from room to room, Ginger is still hanging out on the top of the kitty condo, pretending to be interested once in a while. Some growling and an occasional hiss, but I'm not seeing extrordinarily aggressive posturing at all.

I think it isn't going to take my landlord long to discover his newest tenant. He lives right upstairs, and Penny is VOCAL.
He isn't going to be pleased, but then again, I'm not signing a new lease with him. Whoops, oh well!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given Ferris is stalking her, I'd say he's quite interested

It's great Penny's so laidback

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwww bless her heart.I'm sure in no time, Penny will be content with being in her new home.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris just went up to Penny to sniff her face, and because he had just spent the last 20 minutes growling at her, she took a swipe at him. I don't blame her.

She and I just had a play session with a mylar wand in the kitchen. Ferris growled and growled and tried to play a couple of times, and Ginger came in close to watch, growling here and there when Penny came too close.

Ears are all forward, except Ginger's whose are a little flattened to the sides at times. Otherwise hers are forward as well.

Penny is carrying her tail horizontal with a curled up tip, investigating. Ferris is holding his just below horizontal but straight - and he's creeping along in a crouch. Which for him isn't saying much, considering how short his legs are.

When Ginger comes close to Penny she moves REALLY SLOWLY, and carries her tail down low and curled over to the side next to her leg - not between them, though.

I think Ginger is a bit scared of Penny. Any cat language experts care to interpret?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the intros are moving along. Before you know it will be a major furry love fest in your apartment!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengals tend to keep their tails fairly low (i.e carrying it low is preferred) so that might distort the cat body language a tiny little bit. My girl also meows up a storm whenever she's not 100% satisfied with things, like when I have to board her at a cattery etc. so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

It sounds like you're doing everything right and things are going ok