Help, my cat is biting me!

sway23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 1 year old cat that is usually very well behaved and playful. However, when I go to cut his nails, he gets real aggressive and starts biting my hand fairly hard. And he refuses to stop, even if I'm yelling right at him.

What can we do to get him to stop doing this? I would think it's not good to just "give in" to his biting and stop cutting his nails... but not sure how I can do this without getting bite/claw marks all over me! Any suggestions?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same situation with Maia! Is he neutered? Maia will only allow me to trim 1-3 claws at a time. I found it is better to not push it and if I only get 1 clip at a time, that is ok. Otherwise it ends up being a struggle
, upset her, so that is better then nothing! There is also soft paws...haven't tried them myself but have heard they work.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a) Wear gloves, b) don't shout if you can help it, because he'll only get more stressed out and bite harder - after all, he can't very well sit down and have a conversation with you about his nails :-0), just show you he hates it.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

a) Wear gloves, b) don't shout if you can help it, because he'll only get more stressed out and bite harder - after all, he can't very well sit down and have a conversation with you about his nails :-0), just show you he hates it.
I have to disagree with the suggestion of gloves, if it pertains to while trimming claws. Any preparation on your behalf toward doing so, will positively only make your kitty feel more uncomfortable and immediately be on the defense! Kind of like putting on boxing gloves before a fight, your opponent knows that your goal is to punch him! I have always found it is best to trim their claws when they are in a more snuggly mood, not hyper or looking to play, even if you only trim one tip, reward with a positive command and release......they think they won, but really you live on to trim another tomorrow!