acting odd after two day hospital stay

sassagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear readers....please help - I am scared. My 5 year old male was in the animal hospital this week with impacted bowels. NO megacolon found..thank God. Anyway, the vet had to sedate him and manually disimpact him. They hydrated him by giving him fluids through the skin/muscle. All blood work and urine tests came back negative. Cat has history of hard stools...takes Lactulose x2 daily.

he came home yesterday and simply has not been right since. I have spoken to the vet today and we agree that the stress of the hosp stay etc is taking a toll on him.

Last night he urinated in 3 spots in the kitchen...has NEVER urinated on the floor....all day he has been in and out of the litter box - in the urinating position....its constant...he just crouches for minutes at a time..sometimes urinating and some times not.

right now he is outside in the garden.....doing the same thing. The doctor wants me to give him fluids via a syringe..he does not drink enough..

why doe she have this constant urge....his urine tests were all negative....could the trama of the manual disimpaction be the issue?????????

I am so scared..he is just not right

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I to would be very concerned, this does not sound right. I am not a veterinarian, but it sounds like some kind of obstruction, organ failure or severe infection.......I would immediately seek a second opinion, hate to say it but some vets are not completely reliable!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would wait to see if it is stress and then take him in if it doesnt get better or it gets worse, going to a vet can be very scary for a cat, maybe his bowels are still ajusting.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sassagirl

why doe she have this constant urge....his urine tests were all negative....could the trama of the manual disimpaction be the issue?????????
I think it very likely could be that the trauma to his colon may be causing him to "feel" like he has to pee, and making him try to go all the time.

(I'm not a cat, but when I had my c-section, my bladder felt like I had to go ALL the time, and it was painful too. So I could see "trauma in the area". It's too bad he can't have a painkiller, but I think those are constipating.
Let us know how he does!