Strange increase in shedding, hair loss?

angiepants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning while I was petting Rigby, I noticed that some of the fur on her back was almost falling out. I can just barely pinch a bit of fur and it'll come right out. She was spayed last Wednesday, other than that nothing has changed in her routines or habits, still on the same food, no meds. Could it just be obsessive grooming or could it be a lot more serious?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is the kitty ???

Has excessive grooming been a issue in the past??

What food is kitty eating ??? I know you said no change but anymore the formulas change without us knowing
I would suggest a vet visit

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's always good to check with the vet. But it could be stress from the spay or an allergy to something. Poor little one. I hope it gets straightened out soon and is easy to fix. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angiepants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

How old is the kitty ???

Has excessive grooming been a issue in the past??

What food is kitty eating ??? I know you said no change but anymore the formulas change without us knowing
I would suggest a vet visit
She's about 2 and a half years old. She's had bouts of excessive grooming, which is why I'm thinking about waiting it out a few days before going to the vet.

As I think about it, we've had a huge swing in temperature here the past few days and she's really sensitive to heat, I think it might be stress from that. But who knows. I'll call the vet on Monday.

twoflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it's only one spot, I'd worry about an allergy, skin condition, or fungus (such as ringworm). If it's all over, it might just be from the heat. My fluffiest cat is blowing his winter coat as of two days ago and it's insane the amount of fur that is coming off of him!

cha cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's about 2 and a half years old. She's had bouts of excessive grooming, which is why I'm thinking about waiting it out a few days before going to the vet.

As I think about it, we've had a huge swing in temperature here the past few days and she's really sensitive to heat, I think it might be stress from that. But who knows. I'll call the vet on Monday.
My cat was about 3 years old when he literally " plucked " his tummy bare that he had no fur left. i thought it was stress but since then nothing has changed in his daily life (eg. moving or new pets). he did it for about 3 months and eventually all his hair grew back. if you manage to find out anything on this subject please let me know! i know for a fact it was not fleas because he is 100% flea free.