So...I hate my vacuum cleaner!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because of that thing, I dread vacuuming! I bought a bagless one a few months ago and it is terrible at cleaning the floor - I have to clean the filter every 5 minutes, and it takes me so long to vacuum.

So...I am thinking about buying a Dyson. There is one on sale at one of the major electronics shops in town, for $649 - an upright, down from $849 (NZ dollars).

That is not bad.

This is the one I am looking at. http://www.dyson.co.nz/range/feature...C14-HEPA-GLOSS

It is not blue, but purple. I cannot remember the model name but it looks like that.

Does anyone have a dyson? I have some questions:

Does it lose suction easily? How often do you have to clean the filters?
Does it pick up cat hair easily?
Any important stuff I should know?

Thanks for any answers!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sister has 2 dogs and bought the Dyson pet model. She absolutely loves it. For all the recommendations that I've seen on this site, my next vac will be a Dyson.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We bought a bagless a year ago. Stupid piece of junk! It sits in the garage & we never use it....all those filters to clean. I want a Dyson, I've heard so many great things about them!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cheap alternative to a dyson is a Dirty Devil, I used to have one and my ex bf took it

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a bagless cyclonic cleaner and it's GREAT!! SO brilliant for all the pet hair floating around.

But....Dysons are meant to be the beez kneez of vacuum cleaners. I think it's such an onerous chore that you may as well spend some good money, get a good vacuum that will last and last, and the Dyson Pet one looks really, really good. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Let us know which one you choose!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oooh, a Dyson is a vacuumers dream
They do not compare to any othe vacuum out there, and they are so worth the money.

Ask Pami, she has one and loves it
I want to go to her house and vacuum for her..I would love it too

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

i have a eureka the boss 4870. i bought it a couple years ago and love it.
consumer reports has consistently rated it better than the dyson (sorry guys). it also sells for around $160.
Eureka must have gotten better. I've burned out the motors of 2 of them within a year of purchase. I did the same with Hoovers.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Hoover ErmPower and I LOVE IT! Its bagless and picks up a lot of crap!
I will never have a bagged vacuum again- ever!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a eureka boss based on consumer reports, and I really: HATE it. It is sooo heavy, you can't easily leave it running, standing up, to pick something off the floor, because you have to snap the handle into upright position, which is very hard to do, you have to use a lot of force, plus it sucks so hard that it is unraveling my oriental rug. I regret spending over a hundred dollars for it. It sucks.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the Dyson Animal and it truly is fantastic for getting up cat hair (and everything else).

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We splurged and bought a Dyson DC14 (All Floors) when we moved to the US and we LOVE IT!!! Would never go back to anything else now. Vacuuming is actually enjoyable now
I told DH we should get the Animal but he said "we're not getting any pets while we're here so it's not worth it"

We have to empty out the canister every 2nd time we use it, often every time because it sucks up so much dust and crap. It's really easy to empty as well - press a button to release the canister, hold a bag underneath, press another button to open the canister, and shake it a couple of times and it's empty.

To clean the filter, you just wash it with warm water and leave it to dry. That's the only maintenance we do, and we don't need to do it that often.

We've had it 18 months now and are still constantly amazed at how well it cleans. Our carpets always look so nice once they're vacuumed
As well as that - I think our carpets look cleaner than all our neighbours, not because we're neat freaks, but because the vacuum cleaner does such a good job.

Oh and brush heads snap onto the Dyson itself so they're nice and handy to get and use.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's kinda bulky if you have to carry it up and down stairs - it's a fair bit heavier than our last vacuum cleaner, and when you pick it up the main brush part at the bottom kind of drops down, so you need to carry it higher so it doesn't drag. And because it's an upright, you have to make sure it doesn't fall down on you if it's at the top of the stairs and you're vacuuming the stairs...

I see they've released a slim design now that's lighter. If they make an Animal version of that, that's what we'd be getting next time. That'd be perfect

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently bought this Animal Dyson http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN
It works great! We have to empty the canister every or every other time, but we don't vacuum as often as we should and with 4 cats and a shedding machine of a dog, it adds up fast. Dysons are great. I just need to buy a better attachment so it will be able to do a better job on my couch.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE my Dyson!! When I got mine and first used it my rugs looked brand new after I used the Dyson compared to my other vacuum. It is so worth the money, especially if you have animals.

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

oooh, a Dyson is a vacuumers dream
They do not compare to any othe vacuum out there, and they are so worth the money.

Ask Pami, she has one and loves it
I want to go to her house and vacuum for her..I would love it too

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We splurged and bought a Dyson DC14 (All Floors) when we moved to the US and we LOVE IT!!! Would never go back to anything else now. Vacuuming is actually enjoyable now
I told DH we should get the Animal but he said "we're not getting any pets while we're here so it's not worth it"

We have to empty out the canister every 2nd time we use it, often every time because it sucks up so much dust and crap. It's really easy to empty as well - press a button to release the canister, hold a bag underneath, press another button to open the canister, and shake it a couple of times and it's empty.

To clean the filter, you just wash it with warm water and leave it to dry. That's the only maintenance we do, and we don't need to do it that often.

We've had it 18 months now and are still constantly amazed at how well it cleans. Our carpets always look so nice once they're vacuumed
As well as that - I think our carpets look cleaner than all our neighbours, not because we're neat freaks, but because the vacuum cleaner does such a good job.

Oh and brush heads snap onto the Dyson itself so they're nice and handy to get and use.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's kinda bulky if you have to carry it up and down stairs - it's a fair bit heavier than our last vacuum cleaner, and when you pick it up the main brush part at the bottom kind of drops down, so you need to carry it higher so it doesn't drag. And because it's an upright, you have to make sure it doesn't fall down on you if it's at the top of the stairs and you're vacuuming the stairs...

:
You're supposed to park it at the bottom of the stairs when you do the stairs.
Then you don't have to worry about it falling down.

I have the Dyson animal too! It does really pick up everything. My problem is having to untangle things from the rotating brush on the bottom. (mostly fur I think), but it really is easy to empty the cannister, and I think I would have already spent more on replacement bags in the year I've had it than I did on the vacuum. It was on sale when I got it and got a surprise 100 dollar gift certificate from BEst Buy too.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I bought a eureka boss based on consumer reports, and I really: HATE it. It is sooo heavy, you can't easily leave it running, standing up, to pick something off the floor, because you have to snap the handle into upright position, which is very hard to do, you have to use a lot of force, plus it sucks so hard that it is unraveling my oriental rug. I regret spending over a hundred dollars for it. It sucks.
that's too bad.
we have an area rug, but it's one from a carpet store, and definitely not oriental. i haven't had problems with it running and picking things up either.

i don't think the eureka is heavy, but then my last vacuum was my much hated kirby. i practically did a happy dance when it broke (we gave it away--i know they are fixable). i will never have one of those again. it weighed a TON. it was so loud. i don't even think it pulled anything out of my carpet, plus it kicked so much dust back out it was making my allergies awful. so that's why i think the eureka rocks. oh yeah, and onboard tools. my kirby, you had to turn it off---take off the rughead, put together the hoses. attatch to vacuum. recommence vacuuming. and when done--reverse the process. the kirby is also the reason i will never have a bagless vacuum again. emptying it was like being in dante's 7th circle of hell.
i hate kirby vacuums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THanks for the help everyone - it looks like I will be getting a Dyson. I Don't know when lol, but I think it will be soon!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

A cheap alternative to a dyson is a Dirty Devil, I used to have one and my ex bf took it
You mean a Dirt Devil.
My mom (three dogs and a cat, and carpeting throughout the house) has a Dyson Animal and a Dirt Devil, so I'm familiar with both. I think the Dyson is slightly better at picking up pet hair, but wonder if the much higher price is justified. The Dirt Devil works almost as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yeah I remembered what I was going to ask. The floor in my kitchen is like static cling - its AWFUL! Its very popular for cat hair.
and so does the Dyson pick up hair from clingy places?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

You're supposed to park it at the bottom of the stairs when you do the stairs.
Then you don't have to worry about it falling down.
And what if you can't reach the top stairs from the bottom of the staircase?

I do as many stairs as I can from the bottom then do the last few stairs from the top. We only do the stairs every other time probably, and one holds the vacuum cleaner while the other vacuums - it fell on me once and it wasn't very pleasant...