Hehe so tonight i went on a bit of a shopping spree for Norris!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So ummm yea, he's spoiled rotten and i don't even have him here yet
Tonight i went out with my niece, Taylor and we went shopping to get a few things for when Norris comes home tomorrow for me to foster. I got him a nice orthapedic doggie bed that should fit in his crate, lots of toys to keep him busy (he's going to be in his crate for a while so his leg can heal, so i don't want him to get bored!). I want him to have a good recovery while he's here with me so i want it to be as positive as it can be for him

Here's pictures of some of the goodies i got for him tonight!

Here's a list of what i got for him. (please make suggestions if ya'll think i should add/change anything!!!! i've never fostered a dog who has had orthapedic surgery before so i'm open to all the tips i can get! my expertise is kitties, not dogs
)

giraffe stuffie (my fav! it's soo cute!!!!- told ya'll i had a giraffe obsession!
)
rope toy
two fleecy stuffies
1 "evil cuz" squeaky walking ball toy - the orange thing!
a new burgendy leather collar (i had his old collar with me so i was able to get the right size and everything! his old one was all nasty from when he got run over
)
two rawhide rolls- one regular, one vanilla (only to be given when supervised so i can make sure he doesn't choke)
rawhide bone - peanute butter! ( only to be given when supervised again)
3 pack of clips (those carabeaner types are what we use at our shelter to clip food buckets onto the cages! they're awesome and really last!! they also fit really well into kennels!!)
1 nylabone (just to give it a try!)
1 top to put on his food when it's in the fridge (i will probably be home cooking all of his food so i can monitor everything)
1 fleecy orthapedic bed that will fit in his crate and be comfy for him

(and we have wildside salmon treats here for doggie treats!
)

so ummm yeah! can anyone tell i'm excited about having this little guy staying with us

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

aww he's gonna be spoiled!
which isn't a surprise!
Yup!
But after all this sweet guy's been though- he deserves to be spoiled rotten

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Here's a list of what i got for him. (please make suggestions if ya'll think i should add/change anything!!!!
I think you have enough!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a word of warning....the Nylabone you got is a Flexible one. If he's a "tough chewer", he'll chew that into little bits. I'd watch him with that at first. I learned about flexible Nylabones the hard way!

He isn't even home yet & he's spoiled!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I think you have enough!!
perhaps so

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Just a word of warning....the Nylabone you got is a Flexible one. If he's a "tough chewer", he'll chew that into little bits. I'd watch him with that at first. I learned about flexible Nylabones the hard way!

He isn't even home yet & he's spoiled!
Thanks for the heads up! When i was at the pet store- i was trying to decide between the flexible and the durable one. He was never destructive while he was in the shelter - always took his time when he chewed his food/ played with his toys- so i got the one for moderate chewers (the flexible one). I will give this one to him supervised same as the rawhides!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh they make some awesome flavors of the Nylabones, though! They've got chocolate(it's safe for dogs), bacon, liver, chicken(my girls hated the chicken). I really like the Healthy Edibles ones...they might work for Norris if he isn't much of a chewer.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh they make some awesome flavors of the Nylabones, though! They've got chocolate(it's safe for dogs), bacon, liver, chicken(my girls hated the chicken). I really like the Healthy Edibles ones...they might work for Norris if he isn't much of a chewer.
i got him the chicken flavored one tonight for the nylabone then for the rawhide bone- peanut butter, and for the rawhide roll- vanilla. i have no idea what flavors he likes so i figured i'd get a few to try him with (supervised!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Aww, looks like he's gonna be super spoiled!
yup- just like the rest of them
oh dear they're all soooo rotten
norris will fit right in- he's such a sweetheart!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, he will be so happy!! I'm guessing his surgery went well? Sorry, I just got online and haven't had a chance to check the other posts.

For an extra treat, you may want to go to the local market and see if they have any soup bones, or bones left over from butchering. They sell them for almost nothing and it is easy to get them ready for Norris. If you've never done it, just boil a big pot of water, then drop the bone in...let them boil until no blood runs from the marrow. Chill and serve. Be careful what bones they are though...rib bones usually have some good fat and meat still stuck to them, but once that is gone take it from him...they splinter to easily. If you can get one of the big bones with lots of marrow, he will be in heaven! They don't splinter near as easy but still keep an eye on it.

You can also get the prepared bones that have flakey nasty flavored stuff on the outside that my dogs love. And, those bones are indestructible. We have so many laying around the house looks like a grave yard.

Anyway, congrats on bringing Norris home! No, you don't seem excited at all!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I appear to have posted in the wrong thread with my toy suggestions! LOL!
I've heard great things about the Cuz...
Here's my suggestions from the other thread- looks like you about have it covered, though!

Oh, and here's a link for a toy I got Mattie (our Boxer) for while she was staying with her "MeMe":

http://www.busybuddytoys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=2

I got hers at Academy Sports and Outdoors .

She also has a "fire hydrant" that is Walmart's version of the "Kong", and I fill that with treats (dog treats, bananas, cheese- sometimes a combination) and seal it off with peanutbutter- that keeps her occupied for a while.

She is also a rawhide addict (came that way ), but doesn't care for nylon type bones, so I get her giant compressed rawhides from PetSupplies Plus. They are rawhide, but come off in small pieces, instead of long strips, so they aren't as apt to choke on them.

She also has a small squeeky stuffy (a trout) that she likes to squeek at us when she's bored (stands in front of us, bobbing head and chomping the fish "Squeeka, squeeka, squeeka..." LOL).
Hope that helps some!
Oh, btw, Mattie is a Boxer and a bit of a chewer
(fortunately her toys these days
) and the big compressed rawhides really hold up well!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yeah! Great suggestion! I love the pressed rawhides. I buy packages of 12 that are large enough for my 100 lb. girl in Target for like $10.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's going to be sooo spoiled!
You are going to make his homecoming so pleasant and memorable that hopefully it will wash out that awful memory he has from getting hit!
I think he has plenty to play with and I know you will keep him entertained!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
spoooilled pup...lol

on the soup bones tho i personally never give my dogs a cooked bone.You can get some real nice neck bones and do those raw, just mak sure you take them up..after a certain period of time and clean em up.. of course my dos usually demolish the meat than we give it a good washing and they chomp on the bone.

we get from the butcher or natures variety has some nice prepared bones.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Awww, he will be so happy!! I'm guessing his surgery went well? Sorry, I just got online and haven't had a chance to check the other posts.

For an extra treat, you may want to go to the local market and see if they have any soup bones, or bones left over from butchering. They sell them for almost nothing and it is easy to get them ready for Norris. If you've never done it, just boil a big pot of water, then drop the bone in...let them boil until no blood runs from the marrow. Chill and serve. Be careful what bones they are though...rib bones usually have some good fat and meat still stuck to them, but once that is gone take it from him...they splinter to easily. If you can get one of the big bones with lots of marrow, he will be in heaven! They don't splinter near as easy but still keep an eye on it.

You can also get the prepared bones that have flakey nasty flavored stuff on the outside that my dogs love. And, those bones are indestructible. We have so many laying around the house looks like a grave yard.

Anyway, congrats on bringing Norris home! No, you don't seem excited at all!
Awesome reminder!!! Thankyou! I had totally forgotten about soup bones- we used to give those to my wolf mix, ginger all the time!!!! she loved them!
With the vet's ok i will get some for norris and my other doggies
For now though i'm planning to home cook all his food!

Originally Posted by catsallover

Well, I appear to have posted in the wrong thread with my toy suggestions! LOL!I've heard great things about the Cuz...
Here's my suggestions from the other thread- looks like you about have it covered, though!

Oh, btw, Mattie is a Boxer and a bit of a chewer
(fortunately her toys these days ) and the big compressed rawhides really hold up well!
Those "Cuz" toys are awesome aren't they?? I have several of the kitty ones and all of my cats adore them!!!!! Oh and you can't tell me about your cute little Boxer without posting some pictures

Oh yeah! Great suggestion! I love the pressed rawhides. I buy packages of 12 that are large enough for my 100 lb. girl in Target for like $10.
$10 at Target?? Thanks for the heads up!
By the way- the compressed rawhides are the really thick tan ones right?

Originally Posted by Duchess15

He's going to be sooo spoiled!You are going to make his homecoming so pleasant and memorable that hopefully it will wash out that awful memory he has from getting hit!
I think he has plenty to play with and I know you will keep him entertained!
I sure hope so!!! I want him to feel completly at home while he's with us. He's such a good dog!

Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

spoooilled pup...lol

on the soup bones tho i personally never give my dogs a cooked bone.You can get some real nice neck bones and do those raw, just make sure you take them up..after a certain period of time and clean em up.. of course my dos usually demolish the meat than we give it a good washing and they chomp on the bone.

We always gave our soup bones to Ginger raw too. But it's been a while since i've done that. Is it still ok to give them raw like that? (especially after norris orthapedic surgery - he may be more prone to infection- should i maybe cook it first??)

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here ya go- she's waiting for me to sew the head back on her 3 ft long Boxer stuffy- lol:

They're so angelic when they're sleeping...LOL

The compressed rawhides usually either say "Compressed" or "Pressed" and look like they were cut out with a dog bone shaped cookie cutter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

spoooilled pup...lol

on the soup bones tho i personally never give my dogs a cooked bone.You can get some real nice neck bones and do those raw, just mak sure you take them up..after a certain period of time and clean em up.. of course my dos usually demolish the meat than we give it a good washing and they chomp on the bone.

I cook them based on MIL's advice. First, because of the bacteria. And second, we don't want them to taste raw meat, blood, etc and get their hunting instincts kicking in. I'm new to dogs so I really didn't do a lot of research on bones but it made sense to me. I would prefer to give them to them raw because the smell of them cooking makes me sick!
Is it better for them to get them raw?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is better for them to get them raw (less chance of swallowing splinters or breaking a tooth, from what I hear, and the breaking a tooth thing also depends on what kind of bone you get- I can look it on my Boxer forum, if you'd like), but there is always a chance of Salmonella with anything raw. Plus, I hear raw bones are a bit messy
. I don't give them to Mattie because she has a heart condition, and I don't want to risk her getting sick

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Here ya go- she's waiting for me to sew the head back on her 3 ft long Boxer stuffy- lol:

They're so angelic when they're sleeping...LOL

The compressed rawhides usually either say "Compressed" or "Pressed" and look like they were cut out with a dog bone shaped cookie cutter
Oh my goodness!!!! She is stunning!!!!!!!!!
I adore boxers!!! They're such beautiful dogs!!!!
Thanks for posting some of her pictures! She's prescious!!!!