How would you handle this -advise please!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up a new maintenance client this week. She is older (somewhere around 60 or so) and has many health problems. I will be weeding, planting, watering-whatever is needed. However she likes to talk-invite me in for coffee and visit for a while!! THe lady who passed her on to me (not for this reason) billed her for all the time she was there working or not. I'm not really comfortable with this however. If I am not busy I don't mind chatting.
Thoughts anyone???

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if your not busy and don't mind then I'd say sit and chat...

But.. if you don't want to sit and chat all the time, then make a comment how you'd LOVE to sit and chat, but maybe next time you'll be able to but you are BOOKED for the day.... thank you anyways!!!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Personally, I wouldn't bill her for the time spent chatting. This is the sort of thing that will affect your business and personal reputation.

If you have time to chat with her and enjoy it, go ahead. If not, decline politely.

If doing your job requires you to chat with her, then I'd bill her.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bill her for the time it takes to get your job done. If she wants to chat and that slows you down, it doesn't matter, she gets billed for the longer time it took.

As far as invitations to tea, you should do that on your own time if you want (maybe as a break). If you don't want to have tea, just politely decline. She shouldn't be charged for offering refreshments.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd spend a bit of time chatting each visit, I love to talk to older folks. She is probably just lonely and glad for the company. If your schedule is tight, you can just politely finish your coffee, look at your watch, and suddenly need to get moving. A few minutes for a coffee break and some intelligent conversation is well worth it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

Personally, I wouldn't bill her for the time spent chatting. This is the sort of thing that will affect your business and personal reputation.

If you have time to chat with her and enjoy it, go ahead. If not, decline politely.

If doing your job requires you to chat with her, then I'd bill her.
I agree with this

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a tough one. I am sure she will look forward to your visits for the opportunity to visit a bit. Maybe you could use your time with her as your lunch break or afternoon break?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feel like I was taking advantage of the elderly if I billed her for coffee/tea/cookies.

Maybe its just my work ethic, but I would get her maintenance done and leave room in my schedule to visit for 15 minutes. She's probably just lonely and needs someone to talk with. If she live alone she probably would like a little company.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Well, if your not busy and don't mind then I'd say sit and chat...

But.. if you don't want to sit and chat all the time, then make a comment how you'd LOVE to sit and chat, but maybe next time you'll be able to but you are BOOKED for the day.... thank you anyways!!!
I agree..of course if your busy, say so..but if you have a few minutes to chat...I'm sure it makes her day