new kitten owner - 2 questions

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I just got an 8 week old tabby from the SPCA (at Petsmart!) last week, and I have a couple questions. He's my first ever kitten, so I don't really know what to be expecting.

First, it seems like he's been letargic the past 2 days. He still plays, but not as much, and he's been sleeping a lot more. I give him half a can of kitten food (plus dry food) every day. He usually eats all of it, but today there was some leftover. Should I be worried and take him to the vet?

Second, his ears smell AWFUL! There's a bunch of yucky brown stuff deep down in. Is it earmites or something, or is it just yucky ear wax?

Thanks for all the help!!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always recommended to take a new pet to the vet. The vet wil take care of the stinky ears, probably ear mites, and just check over everything else. Is he drinking? The amount of food he eats at once may vary slightly, what you don't want is for him to stop eating entirely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he's drinking very well!

also, he seems to have a problem with his right eye... he scratches it a lot, and once in a while, I'll find him with it half closed.

Oh well, I guess I'll just take him to the vet this weekend!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The very first thing you want to do when getting a new kitten or cat is to take him to the vet. Even though Petsmart has the cats checked, there is nothing like the peace of mind knowing exactly how the little guy is.

The ears could be ear mites which the vet will give you meds for. The listlessness should be checked by the vet. It could be him adjusting to new surroundings or it could be something more. Again, an office visit will reassure you and make sure he is healthy.

Let us know how it goes for you. It is such a good thing that you adopted
Welcome to TCS!

P.S. he is simply adorable! What is his name?

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

It is always recommended to take a new pet to the vet. The vet wil take care of the stinky ears, probably ear mites, and just check over everything else. Is he drinking? The amount of food he eats at once may vary slightly, what you don't want is for him to stop eating entirely.
The words "kitten" and "lethargic" do not go together. IMO, something is wrong. Please take him to the vet for a check up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pigeoned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

P.S. he is simply adorable! What is his name?
Thanks! I call him Keykey, Keeks for short