Falling Asleep at work...Help :(

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot keep my eyes open for the life of me. I go to bed at a resonable time everynight (around 10pm) and yet I wake up everyday feeling dead tired, it doesn't help that my job is a bore! So I am sitting here trying to read The Witching Hour and I am starting to dose off (don't get me wrong it's a good book)! Help what do I do? I can't drink coffee or caffine soda because then I will be encountering other problems (digestive/heart)! LOL this is no good, Im look tired too (I went to bed before 10 last night)! I am 24 and I feel like I am 80! I think maybe the boredom is making me tired, having a job with alot of spare time brings you down...I've tried playing games, of course I am always on tcs, and so on! What is a girl to do?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, it sucks to be that tired...I am always falling asleep while I read. I guess it doesn't help to read in bed.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Oh yeah, it sucks to be that tired...I am always falling asleep while I read. I guess it doesn't help to read in bed.
Yeah reading in bed usually puts me out too. Regardless of how good the book is, within 20 minutes I'm usually asleep.

A good thing for staying awake is to make up a little game or activity just to give your brain an excuse to work. Even if you can't come up with a little game, just trying to is making you think and stay awake. Or you could try to solve riddles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im trying ladies! Im having conversations just to stay awake! I took a break from reading... It's putting me to sleep! Im eating a sucker too, maybe that'll give me a little sugar boost!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at the cute kitty pics in Fur Pictures- that always kept me awake when I was falling asleep at my last job

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm maybe I will give that a try, Im pretty desperate!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Hmmm maybe I will give that a try, Im pretty desperate!
Sometimes I like to go back thru my old posts and threads & read them- sometimes its good for a laugh or two!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL you are too funny....I do that too! Shhh don't tell anyone!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is exactly the reason why I'm on TCS all day at work!!
If you ever get SUPER bored... you'll always know I'm online Mon-Fri 7-5pm (my time)
I love to chat

Someones sleeping
ha ha ha ha

Not for long......
ooops a little too hard
I just wanted to wake you up
Someone still looks tired!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good question, I have the same problem!

I usually resort to caffeine though...and I do have stomach problems with coffee sometimes but it's worth it.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to your doctor? It is not normal to consistently wake up so tired after a full night's sleep. Have you been tested for anemia or sleep problems? I hope you feel better!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catfriend

Have you talked to your doctor? It is not normal to consistently wake up so tired after a full night's sleep. Have you been tested for anemia or sleep problems? I hope you feel better!
I agree. my mother had the same thing and she ended up finding out she had sleep apniea.

She would literally fall asleep at her desk. Hand on mouse and pen in hand.

The problem was as that she would stop breathing once she fell into REM sleep and her brain would wake her up just enough to start her breathing again but not enough to actually wake her up. The oxygen levels drop and keep you from actually getting rest.

I would suggest you try a sleep clinic for it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely have a sleep study done. Maybe consider an appointment with your regular doctor first for a few general blood test to rule some stuff out first.
Eating better, exercise.. all that stuff helps too.

As for The Witching Hour.. it did drag in a few spots

I've noticed that text size has a big effect on if a book will start to make me sleepy, smaller text tires out my eyes quicker so I end up 'resting' them.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you could try some orange juice. I know when i am tired some orange juice gives me a boost. i am a chronic insomniac so i use that one alot, lol

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have alot of medical problems (I was once anemic and I am no longer)...I have MVP, Gastritis, Acid Reflux, Bile Reflux, Breathing Problems (unknown, the hardest for me to deal with), Colonic Inertia, Hiatal Hernia (not present on my last check up), and Sleeping Problems! LOL that could be why! Can't drink orange juice it is too acidic but that was a nice suggestion! Im not going to the doctors, I saw the doctors over 20 times last year and had 4 procedures that got me nowhere, I don't have the money anymore to be told that they don't know what is wrong with me! I don't want to say i have givin up but they can't figure out what the deal is! As for The Witching Hour I do think the small print is doing me in and she tends to drag stuff on especially in the beginning...get to the good stuff already. Im tired of hearing about Michael's love for music and buildings lol! Its over a chapter worth of description!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to not have carbohydrates or high fat foods for lunch. Carbohydrates will make you want to sleep. Stick to veggies and protein at lunch.

Also, if you go to bed at a regular time each night and wake up exhausted, you could have a sleep disorder. Have you had a sleep study done? If not you might want to talk to your doctor about that and have one. I was the same. I felt brain dead: a zombie. Always tired. I had a sleep study done a couple months ago and found out that I have severe sleep apnea which causes me to wake up dozens of times each hour so I never get into REM sleep and never feel rested.

I know have a CPAP machine that I use at night to keep my airway open and from the first night I used it I have felt like a new person. I'm still tired because I've been deprived of sleep for so long that my body is still trying to get used to quality sleep, but I can certainly say that I do feel more rested upon waking up than I did without the machine.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I go about having a sleep study done? Im sure that this is something that insurance will cover (I hope)! Do I just call a sleep institute or is a doctor referal usually needed?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you go to the expense of a sleep study, you might have your doctor check your glucose levels. A few years ago, I was falling asleep at my desk, too. When it happened one day during a meeting (!), I made a doctor appointment because I thought I must be narcoleptic -- but it turned out I was diabetic.

Does it usually happen around the same time of the day, or around the same length of time after lunch? Does it happen even when you've gotten plenty of sleep the night before and felt rested that morning? And of course... is there any history of diabetes in your family?

If yes to those, I'd suspect diabetes. If no, then it very well could be sleep apnea or some other sleep disorder. Or it could be something else altogether! Whatever it is, it's not normal... so please don't just treat the symptoms. Go get checked out.

Hoping it's not diabetes!