The Beautiful Stranger

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the email:

Date: 2007-05-17, 7:27PM EDT

I just almost got hit by 3 cars saving a great little tiger kitten off of Guilford Avenue exit of I-83.

The cat is so cute and so lovable. I just cannot have any pets but she will be staying w/ me until I find a home.

If anyone wants to take this cat off of my hands call me

Call me and you can come over and see her and then decide. Hope to hear from someone soon.

thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------
When I first brought her home, she was so sweet, she slept with me that night, even though I knew the dangers of that

That morning she attacked my leg and played and played, but was EXCELLENT with the litter box.

The second day I applied Frontline to her though she never scratched. She ate her wet food, a great start I think, as she doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even touch dry. She eats natural lifeâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s turkey and chicken canned.

But yesterday, the fourth day, last night, she growled and growled and wanted to bite. Well, that pretty much calmed my fears that she mightâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been lost [I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to give her up]

But I am at a lost. Why not this behavior initially. The man who found her said she followed him around, and loved to play, but he let her play-bite [people donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know…] so she thinks itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s okay. But the growling, I think itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s too much at once, me, my boyfriend. She never purrs, but she grooms. She will sit on your lap forever and is very friendly, never shy, never one to run from you. But she does not associate touch with good things. She will not let you rub her back without a nip, and she does not fall in love with having the back of her ears scratched. I do it anyway and ignore her when she nips. She goes to the vet tomorrow. My boyfriend had to sit me down and explain she may never be ‘the catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] I dream of, but for some reason, that is okay. I mean, I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t give her back or give her away, as a may be somewhat feral. So regardless, she is mine forever, she will learn to trust, learn to love, I am sure she likes house better than the streets. I am just waiting to see if sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a kitten or a savvy starved adult. I have never been so scared, yet so in love. Canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get her too close to my face or she may bite my nose!! Heck, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s only been days, I am so happy, I think she will be soon, too…

Input, advice, instruction?? Thanks…
This is my Seven [I am sure you know why I named her this
]:
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin with setting up signs "found", etcetera.

She is probably a homecat.

who went astray. Possibly dumped

But probably there is a family seeking after her.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be getting over stimulated and biting because she is excited. Try to watch for a little signal that you don't see any other time. My Pepper twitches her tail in a certain way when she is about to bite or grab. If that is what it is, just stop whatever you are doing with her and leave her alone for awhile. Best of luck in getting this straightened out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

She may be getting over stimulated and biting because she is excited. Try to watch for a little signal that you don't see any other time. My Pepper twitches her tail in a certain way when she is about to bite or grab.
Yes, this mechanism is fairly common. Often you can see by whiskers going forward immediately before the bite.

Another mechanism is they do bite a little because they enjoy so intensively.
So does our younger male. He is doing it always very carefully. But some cats dont know how to restrain yourself and their love-bites, or play bites, being too hard...
It is of course possible to train, but I write later about this if you need more advices.