My camera isn't compatible with Vista. What can I do?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I just bought a new laptop, which of course came with Windows Vista. I would have preferred XP but that wasn't an option

My digital camera is very old (it's a Canon Powershot A10... yep with a whole 1.3 megapixels
). The Canon website has drivers for XP but says that the camera isn't compatible with Vista.

My computer has a card reader, but of course it doesn't read the old Compact Flash cards.

Is there anything I can do to get the pictures?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy small card readers that will show as an external drive and then copy the photos to your computer (the auto transfer software won't always work but you can easily copy them from the drive in my computer)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

You can buy small card readers that will show as an external drive and then copy the photos to your computer (the auto transfer software won't always work but you can easily copy them from the drive in my computer)
Thanks. At first I didn't want to do that because my laptop already has a 5-in-1 card reader (the 5 doesn't include compact flash) and buying a universal card reader on top of that seemed like a waste.

But I just found this:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN
which I like better than having an external card reader. Cheaper too.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small USB card reader that only fits my card, it was about $15 and I can take it to work so it suits me
But if you only use it at home, it seems like a better idea than a tiny drive you could lose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I have a small USB card reader that only fits my card, it was about $15 and I can take it to work so it suits me
But if you only use it at home, it seems like a better idea than a tiny drive you could lose
If I could find a usb reader that cheap, I'd go for it, but I don't think any are available for the Compact Flash format. From what I've seen they're usually for SD cards, which is what most newer cameras use.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

If I could find a usb reader that cheap, I'd go for it, but I don't think any are available for the Compact Flash format. From what I've seen they're usually for SD cards, which is what most newer cameras use.
They are almost giving those card readers away at our local Fry's electronics stores, $4.99 or sometime free with mail in rebate. Here is quick search on newegg.com. They are a very big online retail company with HQ in City of Industry, CA. Here is the link, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...der+&x=23&y=32

This might save you some money.