Anyone have this happen?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking Tigger to the vet, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what might be going on...

Tigger is 17 1/2 years old, and is in REALLY good condition. (Eating VERY premium food, both dry and wet), but for the past few nights (about 2-3), she has been vomiting. She is a longhair, but there's not really a lot of hair in the vomitus. It is a very small amount - maybe a couple of teaspoons, and it's only at night - about 5 in the morning...

Also, today there was a bit of blood in one of the stools in the litterbox, but 2 other cats were in the house at the time, so I'm not POSITIVE it was her.

Anyone had this happen? Everything else is very normal AFAIK.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No idea what's going on. A vet visit is the right "next step".
for her!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto, vet - but you already said you're going, soo....

I've seen similar routines in two of my cats, but unfortunately it was for totally different reasons so I think there are many causes.

Pumpkin did that (once a day, small amount - crack of dawn only) - as a consequence of almost total inactivity and some minor constipation. She was crated w/a broken leg at the time, so I took her food away at night and problem was solved.

Leopold does that same thing, same time - IF he's gone too long without a meal AND has eaten something that doesn't sit well w/him. If it's only one or the other thing, it doesn't happen. No bloody stools, though.

The spots they left me were the very nasty digested food w/lots of tummy acid, just a very small amount, like you said....and only at night/early morning. Very strange. I hope the vet has some answers for you, and it's easy to treat.

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be constipation. Dillon is sick very often before he poos with his constipation and the bit of blood in the stools could be that.

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope that your kitty is OK.
How wondeful to have her for 17 1/2 years!!
All the best.
Angie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tigger had her vet appointment today. They did a senior panel too. She is quite healthy, but has some gum/tooth issues. The vet doesn't really want to do a dental on her, so we are going to try antibiotics first.

Her blood work showed that she was fighting an infection (teeth, probably), and some of her kidney values are on the high side of normal. Pretty good, really. Maybe the throwing up is from her teeth, if there's draining or something. But the vet was really impressed!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't seen this before, but reading this after reading your other post with her lab values, I'd wonder if the blood wasn't due to harder stools or larger volume if she's constipated...and if the vomitting is foamy white (and if you see her licking her lips off and on) this can be a sign of nausea and increased stomach acid.

Tyler just began having issues with constipation (as if he needed another issue!!) and he is having great success
now that I'm giving him a small amount of baby food peas or squash 3x a day.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pat - did you delete the nice response you put in here?
I was able to look at it on my phone but couldn't respond. I was at horse duty with my daughter last night, THEN we drove to the mountains, THEN we had to set up my NEW
laptop. I would love to peruse the links you gave!

Oh - and I read on the CRF site that CRF and dental problems sometimes go together - is that possible? (also, the throw up is not white and frothy, just brown and cat-food smelling. An just a little bit. I hate white frothy throw-up. It is scary)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Pat - did you delete the nice response you put in here?
I was able to look at it on my phone but couldn't respond. I was at horse duty with my daughter last night, THEN we drove to the mountains, THEN we had to set up my NEW
laptop. I would love to peruse the links you gave!

Oh - and I read on the CRF site that CRF and dental problems sometimes go together - is that possible? (also, the throw up is not white and frothy, just brown and cat-food smelling. An just a little bit. I hate white frothy throw-up. It is scary)
Hi, nope, my only reply in this thread is here, just above yours, and my lengthier first reply is under the crf sticky thread where you posted labs.

Yes, dental issues can affect kidney health. I hate to sound like a broken record
but this site is meticulously researched and kept up to date...go here for info on the possible relation between dental health and crf *and* re anesthesia and dentals on a kitty with crf:
http://www.felinecrf.org/related_dis...ental_problems

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Hi, nope, my only reply in this thread is here, just above yours, and my lengthier first reply is under the crf sticky thread where you posted labs.

Yes, dental issues can affect kidney health. I hate to sound like a broken record
but this site is meticulously researched and kept up to date...go here for info on the possible relation between dental health and crf *and* re anesthesia and dentals on a kitty with crf:
http://www.felinecrf.org/related_dis...ental_problems
Oh. Doh!
I was browsing on my phone and it confuses me. I'm goin to the CRF site now!