What Breed Do Ya'll Think Norris Is?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In light of my recent thread about poor Norris...I had a question for ya'll. My coworker marked his breed as shepherd mix just to have something to go on his profile....but none of us are really sure what breed he is. His ears are REALLY thick (i've never seen anything like it) and he kinda has wrinkles on his face when he looks at your or makes a facial expression. I'm not sure what he's mixed with/breed he is. My reason for asking is because i'm trying to prepare as much as possible for after his surgery when i will have him at home. Some breeds are more prone to certain complications/illnesses than others- so i would like to try and figure out what his breed(s) is so that i can be on the look out for anything suspecious while he's in my care. I'd really appreciate everyones guesses!!

here is the thread i was refering to about this poor fella

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128457

here is a picture of norris:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8270114

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was thinking he might be:

Belgian Malinois (but he doesn't have a black mask)

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont really have any guesses. Just wanted to say hes a beautiful dog and I hope he gets better soon. Some people are idiots! If he wrickles his forhead maybe Basenji? A friend of mine has a Akita/Basenji mix that wribkles her forhead like that.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

I dont really have any guesses. Just wanted to say hes a beautiful dog and I hope he gets better soon. Some people are idiots! If he wrickles his forhead maybe Basenji? A friend of mine has a Akita/Basenji mix that wribkles her forhead like that.
basenji is a good guess!!! he wrinkles his forehead just like this pup on the right hand side does! http://www.basenji.org/learn/2_BasenjiTraits.html maybe that's where his tan color and wrinkly face come from...but his tail/size/etc could be from another breed maybe? his tail doesn't curl like a basenji.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting. I know where you are coming from - I adopted a dog and it wasn't what it was supposed to be so we really had to study up to figure out how to train this guy.

Norris has the markings of a shepherd, of course. I could see Malinois...but there's something about the shape of his head. Or his mouth. Look at the folds of his mouth - some sort of retriever? Collie? Hmmm...very interesting...

No doubt he's a sweetie, and I was reading your other thread and got really depressed. I hope he's ok.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno....I see possibly some Jindo in him?
He looks unique....not just shepherd there!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I dunno....I see possibly some Jindo in him?
He looks unique....not just shepherd there!
omg! Natalie- this is exactly what he looks like! i think you're right!!! they even seem to have the thick ears and wrinkly forehead like him sort of!!! I've never heard of this breed before but they look just like Norris!
http://www.kang.org/Jindo.html

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now that you think he's a Jindo, be fully prepared. I believe they are notorious cat killers. Definately do your research! They have high prey drive & are very protective. From here. They are very strong willed as well.

If he is indeed a Jindo, you could have your hands full!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now that you think he's a Jindo, be fully prepared. I believe they are notorious cat killers. Definately do your research! They have high prey drive & are very protective. From here. They are very strong willed as well.

If he is indeed a Jindo, you could have your hands full!
No worries- he gets along AWESOME with all of the kitties in our shelter!!!
He's already seen Kojak too so i'm not worried about him and kitty cats
He also does awesome with other dogs and people- he's a real sweetheart!

Originally Posted by cococat

Test him:
http://www.metamorphixinc.com/products2a.html
The results are limited however
i would, but he's not mine to test- he belongs to the shelter i work/volunteer for. if we do keep him though i will definitely have him tested

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

i would, but he's not mine to test- he belongs to the shelter i work/volunteer for. if we do keep him though i will definitely have him tested
Wait....does that mean there is the possibility of keeping him? Or, with current finanaces/housing/whatever is that not even a remote possibility?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wait....does that mean there is the possibility of keeping him? Or, with current finanaces/housing/whatever is that not even a remote possibility?
it's a possability...hehe shhhhhh just don't tell colin yet

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

it's a possability...hehe shhhhhh just don't tell colin yet
I love it Nikki!! Hey....what he don't know, can't hurt him, right?
You will just have to wait to see how well Norris fits in at your place, then maybe hint to Colin, right?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love it Nikki!! Hey....what he don't know, can't hurt him, right?
You will just have to wait to see how well Norris fits in at your place, then maybe hint to Colin, right?
exactly what i'm planning to do

rumpleteazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I think can tell you what he isn't.
He's probably not a shepard/lab mix. I used to have one and the head and coat don't look right. But I think there's gotta be some shepard in there cause he does resemble the dog I used to have in some ways. He's such a handsome guy! My Rascal (appropriatly named!
) was a sweetheart and from reading the threads it sounds like Norris is too!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He has shepard in him, but I can't place the rest. Keep an eye out for hip dysplasia with him. I'm not sure if he is just sitting funny, but the dogs that I've known that have had that problem sit sort of hunchy like Norris is in the picture.

After my grey had his orthroscopic surgery, the vet kept a very close eye on him for arthritus. He was on anti-inflamatories pretty early in life and we switched him between aspirin and other prescribed meds quite often. You will also want to get him on glucosomine supplements to help with his joints.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good point Amy! I totally forgot...my Macey sits like that & the vets all tell me to watch her for hip problems. It's almost a 100% guarantee she'll have them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

He has shepard in him, but I can't place the rest. Keep an eye out for hip dysplasia with him. I'm not sure if he is just sitting funny, but the dogs that I've known that have had that problem sit sort of hunchy like Norris is in the picture.

After my grey had his orthroscopic surgery, the vet kept a very close eye on him for arthritus. He was on anti-inflamatories pretty early in life and we switched him between aspirin and other prescribed meds quite often. You will also want to get him on glucosomine supplements to help with his joints.
Thankyou for the heads up!! I didn't know to look for that when dogs sit that way. Thankfully though, i do have the glucosamine ready to go whenever he gets here and i have the vets ok
I have no doubt he will have problems with this leg for life- you should have seen it- it was horrible
but thankfully- he is in wonderful hands with this vet caring for him- i plan to foster him for a while- enough to do physical therapy with him as well to strengthen his leg when we get the ok. Any physical therapy tips??

Originally Posted by Rumpleteazer

Well, I think can tell you what he isn't.
He's probably not a shepard/lab mix. I used to have one and the head and coat don't look right. But I think there's gotta be some shepard in there cause he does resemble the dog I used to have in some ways. He's such a handsome guy! My Rascal (appropriatly named!
) was a sweetheart and from reading the threads it sounds like Norris is too!
There is definitely not shepherd in him. (I have had several shepherds and he just doesn't have the structure, fur, pattern...anything like them.) BUT we do think he is a purebreed Jindo now after talking with the vet this morning (forgot to mention that part!
) So thankfully we have a good idea as to what his breed is now and we can be on the look out for any breed-specific issues that might develop
Did i mention enough what a wonderful vet he's seeing!!! This guy is awesome! Your Rascal sounds very sweet!

Good point Amy! I totally forgot...my Macey sits like that & the vets all tell me to watch her for hip problems. It's almost a 100% guarantee she'll have them.
Thanks for the info on that guys i really appreciate it! I had no idea to look for that in dogs. - so what exactly should i be looking for- is it when they sit haunched over a bit like that with their back legs kinda out??? any other indicators??