I hope that...

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that somebody helps me.
Mixy and Tom are outside cats. They don't like to be inside unless it's winter.
They spend it at the garage.
My problems is, how do you keep them from going to other houses? The thing is that they don't want to stay home.
I don't want them to go far from the house,
I am always afraid that they will be hit by a car, like it happend with my dear Sassy, or the neighbor throws them water when they are in her house.
I want them to be here, their home.
Thanks.
Angie

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only way to prevent a cat from being hit by a car is to keep them inside. It is the only way. If you live in an area where one of your cats has lost their life from being hit by a car, then its not a safe area for them to be outside. If anything scares a cat, they will run and you cannot determine which way it will be that they run.

I know everyone has their opinons on keeping a cat inside or outside, but I lost a cat outside and the guilt has been hard for me to overcome.

I found Easy as a pregnant stray and brought her into my house. SHe hated it. She cried everyday to go out. She went into heat soon after she had her kittens and REALLY wanted out.

Every time she wanted out I would start talking to her calmly, distracting her with toys. I kept doing this every time she wanted out until she no longer wanted out again. And now she no longer wants out at all.

Good Luck!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is possible, you could construct some type of outdoor enclosure for the cats. Otherwise, the only options are indoors or outdoors. If you are afraid of them being outside, then inside is the only other option.

Sebastian was indoor/outdoor for 10 years. For the last 18 months or so he has only been inside. It took a long while for him to adjust. He still has nights when he pleads to be allowed outside, usually when I am asleep. No deal. I live between two busy streets in a city. I bought a stroller for him but we haven't tested it yet.

I did get Daphne so he wouldn't be lonely. If your cats get along, they could live inside together. It will be difficult on you more than them. If they have windows to look out, toys and you they will be okay and even thrive.

You will rest easier knowing they cannot be hurt. That takes a lot off of you.
You just have to be the boss for awhile
If you need help, there are lots of people here who have been through the same thing, the same sleepless nights and the glaring/sad guilt-inducing looks from your feline friends.

Please keep us up to date on what you decide to do and how it goes for you

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angier106

that somebody helps me.
Mixy and Tom are outside cats. They don't like to be inside unless it's winter.
They spend it at the garage.
My problems is, how do you keep them from going to other houses? The thing is that they don't want to stay home.
I don't want them to go far from the house,
I am always afraid that they will be hit by a car, like it happend with my dear Sassy, or the neighbor throws them water when they are in her house.
I want them to be here, their home.
Thanks.
Angie
Angie...the ONLY way to prevent this is to A: Make them indoor only cats or B. Build them an outdoor enclosure. There are plenty of neat examples of outdoor enclosures on the web.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking of building them something outlide. I do have a storage shed where Mixy likes to go into but that gets very hot with the hot temperatures.
And yes, the guilt of having them outside, and with what happed is Sassy, is too much.
Thanks.
Angie