Unsure

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 year old docile spayed female and a 11 month old boisterous female who is also spayed.
A friend of my brother really wants to get rid of 3 kittens. She has asked me to take one or 2 of them. She says hey are 8 weeks old and are fully weaned... But they look so small and still try and get milk off their mummy, they also still have blue eyes. I won't mind taking one of them but I am not sure if it would be a good idea or not, because of my 11 month old kitten. I am not sure what she would do... do you think it would be a good idea to take on another?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be best to get a young kitten if your cats are older, BUT I think 8 weeks (they do actually sound younger but a picture would help me figure that out) is too young. If they want to still nurse then they should be allowed to. Keep them with mom until 10 weeks and then adopt one (or two!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well they are big enough for one to lay in 2 hand that are a couple of inches apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know all I do know is that the mother is smaller the same size as my 11 month old. What bothers me is would it be ok if I had one with my hyper 11 month old?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Could they BE blue-eyed cats? Or extra-big babies like Maine Coons?
I believe the true eye colors do not appear until they are much older.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I believe the true eye colors do not appear until they are much older.
By 8 weeks, they probably wouldn't still be blue eyed. They usually change around 6 weeks and then deepen as the kitten ages.

So unless these are blue eyed cats I would leave them with mum for a while longer.

Do you know how much they weigh? By 8 weeks they should be around 90g-1kg. Left with mum they will keep nursing, even after they are weaned. One of my boys Baker kept nursing until around 5 months.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know if they are eating hard cat food??? I think that would be good way to tell if the kittens can be without their mommy. Does the lady HAVE to get rid of them now or could they stay with her longer? If not, and they eat well on their own, I wouldn't see a problem taking them. Your 11-month-old will be so happy to have an energetic playmate once the kitten is old enough.