So I am on the most horrible diet ever...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is the no carb no sugar low calorie EXTREMELY STRICT diet. I can eat salad with oil and vinegar, veggies, beans, egg whites and tofu and that is about it. Today I ate a can of corn and celery sticks for breakfast. For lunch I made tofu, egg whites plus one whole egg, black beans, salsa and corn all cooked together. For dinner I had another salad, carrots, corn and green beans. I can drink water and diet soda, I can have a cup of milk occasionally and one piece of fruit if absolutely necessary.

Thing is, you do this 6 days of the week and on the 7th you can eat whatever the heck you want to. I can eat donuts and ice cream all day if I want to. You are supposed to eat whatever you want on that day because it keeps your metabolism up or something.

The point is you will lose 20lbs in one month.

All I can say is BOY AM I HUNGRY!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you the best of luck. I could never do that diet since I love sugar and Carbs!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good luck,
but all i can say is any diet, that says, its is ok to eat tofu, is really really really something from the land of horrors.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is the point in starving yourself and eating foods you don't like that do not make up a balanced diet? it'd be much better to eat a balanced, healthy diet and work out to loose weight. it's not good to "Starve" during the week only to binge on the weekend.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Nikki. Do you exercize? That helps you lose weight, too. I have been riding my bike to and from the shelter but I can't right now because it's been raining and supposed to snow soon again.
But I do get exercize with my animals and the animals at the shelter so that helps and it's hard for me to eat healthy but I eat baby carrots and ranch a lot and cucumbers and ranch. a lady that works at the shelter where I volunteer eats basically broccoli and baby carrots all the time and no wonder she's thin!

I can't believe someone would be on such a strict diet unless it's for your own health. I couldn't imagine forcing myself eating things I don't like. I for one love corn but not corn out of the can I love frozen corn and wouldn't eat it for breakfast.
I mainly eat cereal for breakfast and sometimes pizza. I could eat macaroni and cheese for breakfast as well. my dad can eat hamburger or a steak for breakfast but I cannot handle that that early in the morning but after all he's a guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just not used to filling up on the pure protein such as beans and tofu. The point of the diet is if you are not very active and still want to lose weight. You do that by having a very limited diet that's for sure! There is more to it, I can eat hummous and salsa and guacamole but I have to make it or make sure there isn't a lot of crap added to it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love vegetables though, it is just hard eating that and beans haha! I can eat frozen, steamed, boiled or fresh vegetables. I LOVE canned corn, especailly the Del Monte brand of golden and white corn in the can and steamed carrots I could eat like dessert! I don't know, we'll see how it goes and how long I last before I eat something I shouldn't or shoot myself.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, good question, my boyfriend was the one to find this diet and read all about it and talk to people who tried it. I tried to figure out reasons why it wouldn't work haha but he talked me into trying it with him. Todfay is just the first day.

I will definately ask him that one. But I know the point of it is if you are an inactive person in the first place. It is to lose weight without working out.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be careful. Your body needs some measure of carbs to function properly. Your brain, for example, runs exclusively on glucose. If you're not eating it, the body will make some from protein. Unfortunately, the byproduct of that process is toxic and can cause permanent damage to multiple organs and even cause death in some cases. It's a serious danger for people on very restrictive diets.

Please check with your doctor or a nutritionist to ensure that you are meeting your daily metabolic requirements! There are certain things your body must have and skewing your metabolism for quick weight loss is not worth the damage that could be done if needs are not being met.

I would advise you to substitute rather than cut out carbs. Eat carbs with high fibre content, such as whole wheat pasta and multigrain breads. Your weight loss will be slower, but healthier.

A loss of 20lbs in one month is not just going to be fat, it's a loss of muscle mass. That means your body will literally be eating its own muscle to fuel your brain. Does that really sound like something you want to do just to drop a few sizes in clothes? And I haven't even mentioned the imbalances and heart problems that can come from cutting out potassium (no potatoes or bananas in that diet, huh?).......

I STRONGLY advise against doing this, especially without sitting down with a dr to map out the minimum of carbs, fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals you need to eat in a day. Sorry if this is harsh, but I don't want you to do yourself harm!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try the South Beach Diet. It's way better than what you are doing. BTW corn has sugar in it & so does carrots.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is the source of the sugar and carbs that is important, coming from veggies and healthier things instead of from starches and junk food. I agre though, many veggies have sugar and carbs.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote against this, Jen... I know it's tempting to imagine yourself 20 pounds lighter in just a month, but (a) it won't last -- it comes right back when you lose it in such an abrupt and unhealthy way; and (b) these extreme diets wreak havoc on your health, particularly your digestive system. I've been there and done that, and it just doesn't work. Please don't do this to yourself!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you cut out carbs and sugar, your body is not able to break down molecules into glucose which is needed.

Instead, it will break down the molecules from protein into ammonia - and that is not good.

Sorry had to say this from a molecular biology point of view. It is NOT good to cut out carbs and glucose. I am just saying it the simplest way I can. (seems I can't)

It is better to try something like a low GI diet.

I just saw that Leli explained it better than me!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By the way, metabolism has nothing to do with losing weight. ITs what keeps you alive - bigger people have faster metabolisms than skinny people.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

what is the point in starving yourself and eating foods you don't like that do not make up a balanced diet? it'd be much better to eat a balanced, healthy diet and work out to loose weight. it's not good to "Starve" during the week only to binge on the weekend.
I couldn't agree more, plus it's a well known fact that if your hungry your more prone to caving in and stuffing your face

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another person against it. There is no magic bullet to losing weight. You won't be able to stick to something so restrictive - nobody can - all it will do is make you miserable and throw your body into chaos and disorder. And you will probably end up bingeing because you can't manage it and then feel even worse.

To lose weight you need to eat less, you need to eat sensibly and you need to exercise. It's not rocket science. There's no quick fix. You just have to understand that fad diets like this are bad for you, pointless, and most importantly - DON'T WORK. They offer a quick solution to a problem that has no quick solution. If you want to lose weight, you have to try, consistently over a period of time, and get the weight off carefully and regularly.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing but you'll get absolutely no support from me in this. It sounds terribly bad for you despite all the spin put on it by whoever is promoting it. Just bad news. I don't want you to try something near impossible, not succeed, and then end up even more upset with yourself and your weight.

The only thing that's going to happen with this diet is that your body will think you are starving it, and it will go into emergency mode - thereby storing all your fat for use later. It will start to feed off other stores (not fat) and whilst you may lose a little weight, you'll stack it all back on as soon as you start eating normally again - probably even more so. Do you think you can keep this up for the remainder of your life? Oh, and the thing about being able to pig out on the seventh day for your metabolism? Seriously? Whoever wrote that knows about as much about how the body works as a rabbit in a hole. The only way to kick-start your metabolism is to get off your butt and exercise, and eat a consistent balanced diet.

Fad diets do not work, period. They appeal to people who don't want to put any actual effort into weight loss. I know. I was one of them for a long time. Eat less. Exercise. That's all there is to it.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that you can eat perfectly healthy on a low carb diet (remember that veggies are carbs) and can use fat as an energy source. There are a lot of myths about low carb diets, most of which are just that - myths and not truths. However, unless you're diabetic or have some degree of metabolic resistance, I don't think it's necessary and most people are better off eating some complex carbs. Not a bad thing to get rid of sugar though as sugar and refined carbs don't do much for anyone.

I agree this doesn't sound like a great diet - not much fun and if you can eat anything you want on day 7 you'll probably just end up binging on all the things you've deprived yourself of all week. I don't think it's particularly healthy to lose 20lbs in one month either, unless you're very overweight. You'll probably just put it all back on. Another vote for more moderate diet! A bit of everything

btw, I like tofu
It's what you do with it that counts!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

and i just wanted to remind you once again that tofu is not a food group.
you are so funny Bruce!

here's another vote for South Beach, especially if you love veggies, I was on it and lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks.... but then, since I am a total carb freak
me not being able to have them led to me not wanting to eat at all
which is also a good way to lose weight- not!