Horrible- adoption gone very very wrong.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today has been a VERY stressful day for all of us at the shelter. To start with, Thurs. are spay/neuter days at our shelter so that's already a guranteed stresser. Now for the part that makes me absolutely furious!

Back on Saturday....one of my absolute favorite dogs got adopted, Norris. EVERYONE at the shelter just loves him to pieces- he has the best personality and is just such a sweet dog! Well...one of my bosses personally approved the adoption to what we thought would be a good home after screening the person. (we REALLY try to make sure they wind up in good homes, but sometimes, we are not always right....) As Norris was leaving, my boss even went so far as to tell the woman- please promise us you will give him a great home- we all love him! (she was about to cry and so was i- we really get attached to some of them no matter how much we try not to)

fast foward to today.

We got a call from someone living in Millington - they gave us an id number (all shelter dogs at our shelter get sent out with an id tag saying "if found in bartlett - call ##########). Thank goodness we use those tags!!!!! Anyways, we get a call from this person saying that they have seen the dog running loose for several days now and that it appears as if it has been hit by a car- so they took it in their house. We immediately sent one of the AC officers out to pick him up. It was Norris
The STUPID STUPID woman who adopted him on Saturday- didn't even call to tell us he was missing!!!!!!!!!!!
I am furious- she just wasn't even going to tell us!!! When our AC officer returned with Norris his little leg was in bad shape. We had our vet look at him (she's there on thrs for spay/neuters ) and she said he would need orthapedic surgery and since that's not her field to send him to another vets office that we use. So after a few phone calls- i loaded up little Norris in my car and took him to the other vets office my shelter uses. We are VERY blessed to have a wonderful vet there who does orthapedic surgery (he's one of the best in our areas!). He took some x-rays and said that the break was from the bottom of the foot to the top of the hip (thankfully only one side was injured). There are also shattered fragments floating around in his leg
Poor sweet Norris. My boss said for them to do surgery no matter what the cost- that we were not going to put him down. I LOVE my boss!!!! She has such a big heart sometimes! So tonight he's getting started on an IV and some stuff to bring down the swelling. Then tomorrow Norris will be having orthapedic surgery. The good news is- the vet thinks he can repair the leg without having to amputate it! (keep your fingers crossed that is the case!!) even if it is amputated though- we will still work with him until he's ready to be placed for adoption. He is such a wonderful dog- none of us want him pts. So.....after his surgery (he's having it tomorrow and they will likely keep him overnight - so probably saturday he will be ready to leave)....he will be my new foster dog. I will be fostering him for however long it takes to get him back in good shape and ready for adoption. I will probably have to learn some physical therapy stuff to help strenghten his leg when the time is right (so keep your fingers crossed i do a good job with him and learn everything i need to!!) He is such an amazing dog- he deserves the best life - all animals do. I am going to see to it that he has a very loved/amazing home while i foster him. Please keep Norris in your prayers - this amazing guy has just melted my heart- and he did not deserve what happened to him. I am also happy to say that he is excellent with other animals (cats and dogs included) and negative on all tests, up to date on shots/etc so he should do just fine in our home. I will be keeping him in a crate for a while (as he might have a cast on and an e-collar) so i'm hoping he does well. He's a beautiful dog. Please pray all goes well tomorrow with his surgery. I am soo heartbroken that this has happened to himIf i saw this woman who let this happen i swear- there'd be nothing left of that devil

Here's Norris picture - he's soo beautiful (please note he was placed under "happy tails" after he was adopted by that idiot- that will soon be changed!)
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8270114

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Oh no! Poor Norris! I'm so glad you will be fostering him until he finally gets a great home.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for the sweet guy.
Originally Posted by marie-p

Oh no. that's horrible.

Poor baby. I hope he gets well soon.
thanks guys. i am absolutely heartbroken and sick that this has happened to him. we all are- we kept blaming ourselves all day today for letting him go to that home- but in all honesty- at the time, it appeared to be a good home he was going to
i guess no matter how much you screen sometimes, you just aren't always right. i just hate that norris had to suffer as a result of it. he is in such pitiful shape.....his little leg just dangles. and he's still such a sweet pup- while i was in the waiting room with him today- i had laid out a blanket for him to lay on....he just laid there and was kissing my hand the whole time. bless his heart
I also have to say i am soo blessed to have such a wonderful boyfriend like Colin who has agreed to open up his home to let me care for yet another needy animal. I would not be able to foster if it werent for Colin letting me at his home. (Colin also adores little Norris too - so i wouldn't be suprised if he makes doggie number 3 for us by the time this is all said and done with.) Norris is having his surgery tomorrow so he will likely stay overnight tomorrow night so they can watch him. So i'm thinking i will be bringing him home on Saturday. And i assure ya'll - he will NEVER go through this again if i have anything to do with it. He's going to be spoiled rotten and taken good care of while i have him.
My heart just breaks for this sweet dog- he's sooo amazing...ya'll have no idea what a wonderful fella he is- he just melts my heart everytime i look at him.Please pray all goes well tomorrow with his surgery. I am a nervous wreck worrying over him

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This just breaks my heart and makes me SO MAD
all at the same time.

First, for the poor little guy... omg... I'm almost in tears for him and I've never even met him! He's such a handsome boy and so help me if I didn't live so far away from you (and you weren't already possibly taking him) I'd be driving over to get him in a heartbeat. No dog deserves what this little guy has been through and while he always deserved a good home... he deserves one now more than ever. All fingers, toes and paws are crossed over here that he has a fast recovery and gets to run and play (in a safe yard and not on the street of course) soon!

Now I just need to mini-rant for a second. What on earth is it going to take to finally get it through peoples heads that dogs are NOT throwaway creatures! I don't think you mentioned whether the dog was put out or got loose (if you did, I missed it) but so help me if one of my dogs got loose I would have an all points bulletin out to every neighbor/vet/shelter/animal services officer/police/etc that I could get my hands on... along with scouring the neighborhood until I passed out... and even then I'd chug coffee and start again! HMoG! I mean when you adopt a dog/cat/whatever I know every shelter I've ever dealt with drills it into your head that this is a 15 year commitment! What the
is it going to take to get people to realize what the word commitment means?!?!

Ok, I'm sorry.. I shouldn't have hijacked with a rant... but I can't read something like this and not lose it.

Ok yeah I should shut up now
But I'll be thinking of him and hoping hes all fixed up soon and gets to live out his long life in a fantastic forever home

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

(Colin also adores little Norris too - so i wouldn't be suprised if he makes doggie number 3 for us by the time this is all said and done with.)
Poor baby Norris!! As I read your post and you mentioned that you are fostering him until he heals, I remembered the orthrascopic surgery that we had to do on my greyhound many years ago. He was up and about in a day, but had a cast on for over 6 months then vet visits for a year.

Do I congratulation you on your adoption now or in a few months?

My mom used to say that everything happens for a reason.

Sending vibes for his surgery tomorrow and the months ahead of recovery!!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear - what a dreadful story! Poor little guy. I can understand your fury. I'm curious - what happens in these situations? Does somebody call the people who adopted him to find out what the heck is going on? Do they get reported to animal control or anything?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Oh no!!
Bless his heart!! I hope he recovers soon and can get a GOOD home!!
thanks sweetie- he needs all the recovery/find a good home vibes he can get!

Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

This just breaks my heart and makes me SO MAD
all at the same time.

First, for the poor little guy... omg... I'm almost in tears for him and I've never even met him! He's such a handsome boy and so help me if I didn't live so far away from you (and you weren't already possibly taking him) I'd be driving over to get him in a heartbeat. No dog deserves what this little guy has been through and while he always deserved a good home... he deserves one now more than ever. All fingers, toes and paws are crossed over here that he has a fast recovery and gets to run and play (in a safe yard and not on the street of course) soon!

Now I just need to mini-rant for a second. What on earth is it going to take to finally get it through peoples heads that dogs are NOT throwaway creatures! I don't think you mentioned whether the dog was put out or got loose (if you did, I missed it) but so help me if one of my dogs got loose I would have an all points bulletin out to every neighbor/vet/shelter/animal services officer/police/etc that I could get my hands on... along with scouring the neighborhood until I passed out... and even then I'd chug coffee and start again! HMoG! I mean when you adopt a dog/cat/whatever I know every shelter I've ever dealt with drills it into your head that this is a 15 year commitment! What the is it going to take to get people to realize what the word commitment means?!?!

Ok, I'm sorry.. I shouldn't have hijacked with a rant... but I can't read something like this and not lose it.

Ok yeah I should shut up now But I'll be thinking of him and hoping hes all fixed up soon and gets to live out his long life in a fantastic forever home
actually- THANKYOU for the rant (although i wouldn't call it that- i'd just call it common sense) you said some stuff that i've been wanting to say
and about how he got out/or was turned out- i'm not sure as i wasn't there to witness it first hand. BUT reguardless- He was supposed to be an indoors only dog- and the darn heifer didn't even call when he went missing, nor did she go looking for him!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sooooo upset over this. My stomach has been in knots all day long. We quized her and drilled it into her head what a committment he would be....and she had all the right answers...and seemed to be a good home. I am sooo sad for Norris sake that we were wrong about her
And i agree with you- had it been one of my furbabies out there- i would not sleep till it came home!!!!! How do people just not care
This is why i love the cat site because i know ya'll DO care and Do love animals. I just wish everyone did.

Originally Posted by theimp98

i hope he gets better and finds a good home soon.
thankyou bruce

Originally Posted by Momofmany

Poor baby Norris!! As I read your post and you mentioned that you are fostering him until he heals, I remembered the orthrascopic surgery that we had to do on my greyhound many years ago. He was up and about in a day, but had a cast on for over 6 months then vet visits for a year.

Do I congratulation you on your adoption now or in a few months?

My mom used to say that everything happens for a reason.

Sending vibes for his surgery tomorrow and the months ahead of recovery!!
WOW
I had no idea that it could take that long for recovery. But you know what- i guess right now i don't care. I am in it for the long run no matter how long it takes to help this sweet dog- he deserves it! Bless his heat
So 6 months or years...i will make sure he gets all the love and help he needs. (haha guess you can congradualte us on our new adoption when i convience Colin to make him doggie #3
oh boy!)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry Nikki!!
Poor Norris, he's such a strong boy.

And we had an adoption go wrong here. The people had adopted a puppy from us, & after it got hit by a car, provided no vet care. We got the pup back & after some expensive surgery, placed him up for adoption. We now see him regularly....& he is a wonderful dog & now has the family he desereves.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FiftyFour

Hoping for a fast recovery for Norris! He is so adorable
thankyou!!! i appreciate that, so does little norris.

Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Oh dear - what a dreadful story! Poor little guy. I can understand your fury. I'm curious - what happens in these situations? Does somebody call the people who adopted him to find out what the heck is going on? Do they get reported to animal control or anything?
my boss called the ladies numbers (we require all that info on the adoption papers). of course- she didn't answer
so my boss left her quite the message. we are animal control- so yest, a report was made and all medical records will be filed and saved as well as statements from the witness who rescued norris just in case this heifer has the nerve to try something (i know she won't though- she doesn't even care
) lets just say this woman will NEVER be allowed to adopt from us again- and also, word of this has been passed on to all of the other local shelters and rescues- so this devil will not be able to adopt from them eithor hopefully if she tries.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm sorry Nikki!!
Poor Norris, he's such a strong boy.

And we had an adoption go wrong here. The people had adopted a puppy from us, & after it got hit by a car, provided no vet care. We got the pup back & after some expensive surgery, placed him up for adoption. We now see him regularly....& he is a wonderful dog & now has the family he desereves.
thankyou for the good story natalie!
it's always good to hear of a positive recovery from a doggie who has been in a similar situation. (i'm glad that pup found a good home!!)

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O Nikki I am so sorry

Norris u poor baby
How could people just be so mean and ruthless
bless that lady's heart for taking him in and contacting you guys though

Btw..Norris u are such a gorgeous boy

I hope all goes well with the surgery
I am sending you many good surgery and quick recovery vibes
and talking collin into dog number 3 vibes

Please be sure to keep us updated

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

O Nikki I am so sorry

Norris u poor baby
How could people just be so mean and ruthless
bless that lady's heart for taking him in and contacting you guys though

Btw..Norris u are such a gorgeous boy

I hope all goes well with the surgery
I am sending you many good surgery and quick recovery vibes
and talking collin into dog number 3 vibes

Please be sure to keep us updated
thanks hon
i will definitely keep ya'll updated. as soon as he has his surgery and feels up to it when i get him here i will snap a few pics for ya'll to see how adorable he is! that one picture just doesn't do him justice- he's gorgeous!!!! i'm soo nervous right now just hoping everything goes ok tomorrow. i'm going to call tomorrow before they close and see how it all went. i have no doubt norris will try to adopt colin

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Nikki, that is terrible! Poor Norris. He is a beautiful dog...I love shepard mixes. Many prayers and vibes going out for his surgery. If you have the best in the area doing it, I'm sure all will go fine. Keep us posted and give him some extra lovins from me and my crew.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, Nikki, that is terrible! Poor Norris. He is a beautiful dog...I love shepard mixes. Many prayers and vibes going out for his surgery. If you have the best in the area doing it, I'm sure all will go fine. Keep us posted and give him some extra lovins from me and my crew.
i definitely think this vet is one of the best in the areas- so do many others. he is AMAZING and his hands are truely blessed when it comes to helping animals. / Also - i'm not 100% sure Norris is a shepherd mix. One of my coworkers just posted that as a guess to put something on his profile. I'm actually trying to get some good opinions from others as to what he might be mixed with- my reason for this is -i REALLY want to research his potential breed(s) as much as i can before i bring him home because some breeds are more inclined to certain illnesses/disorders than others and while he is such a weak state- i want to watch him like a hawk and be on the look out for anything that might arise. having a good guess at what his breed is might help be observant of certain things that run in certain blood lines. Here is the thread if anyone is interested for ya'll to comment on what you think his breed might be. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128479

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Poor Norris! That woman needs to be run over by a car a few times!

Can the shelter not take some kind of legal action against her? She adopted Norris with the intention of providing for him and keeping him safe. That was a contract. She broke that contract! Maybe they can recover some of the cost of his surgery from her. That would teach her a lesson in responsibility!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG - I responded to the other thread about his breed. I really hope his surgery goes well. Lots of hugs and vibes to him and you.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like everyone else, I'm just sickened by this kind of callousness. But I know you will give Norris's story a happy ending... and he'll be so glad to be with someone he already knows and loves. Please give that sweet dog a good warm hug from me.