BBQ etiquette

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BBQ RULES
We are about to enter the summer and BBQ season. Therefore it is important to refresh your memory on the etiquette of this sublime outdoor cooking activity, as it's the only type of cooking most men will do, probably because there is an element of danger involved.

When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events are put into motion:

Routine...

(1) The woman buys the food.
(2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.
(3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

Here comes the important part:

(4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL .

More routine....

(5) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.
(6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

Important again:

(7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

More routine....

(8) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces, and brings them to the table.
(9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:

(10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.
(11) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed "her night off." And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing a woman.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a hoot.

However, in our house, the man does not prepare food, even to the extent of placing it on the BBQ and removing it when alerted to flames. The man DOES, however, make sure that the appliance is in proper condition for use, and changes propane tanks when required. He's a good boy, but he does need to get off the pot and perform the spring preparedness ritual sometime soon or it will be September before the woman puts some ribs on it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

That's a hoot.

However, in our house, the man does not prepare food, even to the extent of placing it on the BBQ and removing it when alerted to flames. The man DOES, however, make sure that the appliance is in proper condition for use, and changes propane tanks when required. He's a good boy, but he does need to get off the pot and perform the spring preparedness ritual sometime soon or it will be September before the woman puts some ribs on it.
Ooooo! BBQ ribs! Can I come for dinner!?! I'll make my pasta salad and some yummy desert!!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I refuse to do #6 and #9 around here. DH knows I do most of the work when it comes to BBQ, and the rule in this house is that whoever cooks, the other washes dishes. No questions asked. For #6, he burnt a meal once and I cerimoniously threw it in the trash. He has never done that since.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that sounds like my sister and brother-in-law
did i mention we had grilled chicken tonight

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not in my family - hubby does almost all of the kitchen stuff except the dishes. I'm lucky