In shock over my cats age

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

My cats previous owner who seemed to be dead during the months he was suffering and starving etc... Came and visited said the cat was 15 years old~!!! I was told by two vets that this cat was only about 3-6 years old and was NOT a senior cat but god 15 years old that is so old! im so shocked the vets could of over looked this

r_c61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally. I would take the vet's estimation of age.. They did go to school for 4 years of premed and 4 yrs of veterinary medication college to have a doctorate in animal healthcare...... If the vet says the cat is 3 to 6 yrs of age then by golly the cat is that age.. They go by the animals teeth condition and such to know the aniamls age.

r_c61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 yr old female Chausie cat. She is a queen.. lol. My daughter tried to say the breeds name but couldn't get it out right and kept saying "Chelsey" so that is her name. lol....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by r_c61

Personally. I would take the vet's estimation of age.. They did go to school for 4 years of premed and 4 yrs of veterinary medication college to have a doctorate in animal healthcare...... If the vet says the cat is 3 to 6 yrs of age then by golly the cat is that age.. They go by the animals teeth condition and such to know the aniamls age.
Oh I don't know about that! I adopted a kitty that was 10 years old. The guy I got her from had her since she was a wee kitten and took very good care of her. Yearly checkups, shots, good quality food, dental cleanings etc.

His work hour increased to the point he felt it was unfair to Toby to leave her alone for so long at home, and often when he was home he was still working. So he felt he was neglecting Toby.

I had Toby for 3 years when she went into acute renal failure and had to be PTS. The vet I had been taking her too couldn't believe that she was almost 14 years old and had he had to guess he would have estimated her age to be about 6 or 8 years old at the most.

So it seems that a vet can't always tell accurately how old a cat is by looking at their teeth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and this cat had 2 vets look at him

r_c61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. Some cats tend to lie by phsysical attitributes on their age... It could be so in this case..

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Every time I have taken one of my rescued cats to a vet the Doctors admitted that they really couldn't estimate the age of the cat. This was not just one vet that told me that. If a vet estimated one of my cats from teeth condition he would rate him much older. I have a abyssinian who has bad teeth from his genetics.

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I have a 2 yr old female Chausie cat. She is a queen.. lol. My daughter tried to say the breeds name but couldn't get it out right and kept saying "Chelsey" so that is her name. lol....
I'm guess the breed is a Chartreux?
That's a wonderful breed!