How to get barf stains out of carpet?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I need something that I can use to clean barf stains from my carpet that won't be toxic to my cats. I'm really paranoid about using anything chemical, but I have 2 spots I just can't get out with my usual methods.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Nature's Miracle cleaner (from Foster&Smith). I've also used Resolve on stains if no NM was in the house. Both are safe (NM is very much pet safe); not sure about Resolve, but never had a cat get sick after using it on carpet.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any completely natural methods for that.

I had good luck with the Woolite non-aerosol type...it comes in a big squirt bottle...not the fancy double metal spray can, just the simple plastic sprayer. As a bonus, a bottle lasts me forever....it seems to go much further than aerosol stuff.

Not sure about "cat safe" but I follow with plain clean water and never had a problem.

Resolve is very good with stains, but Pixel is highly attracted to it. I mean smell, rub, and taste.
She never got sick, but I got something else that wouldn't be so attractive to her...just to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. I'll go look at Nature's Miracle. I don't really want to use Resolve. Not sure how I feel about the Woolite..

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I just looked at the Nature's Miracle. It claims to be non-toxic and non-flammable. I'm not a chemist, but I looked up the MSDS on one of the ingredients, isopropyl.

According to the MSDS:

1. Conditions contributing to instability: Heat, sparks, or flame.

2. Incompatibilities: Contact between isopropyl alcohol and air may result in the formation of dangerous peroxides. Isopropyl alcohol is incompatible with strong oxidizers, acetaldehyde, chlorine, ethylene oxide, acids, and isocyanates.

3. Hazardous decomposition products: Toxic gases such as carbon monoxide may be released in a fire involving isopropyl alcohol.

4. Special precautions: Isopropyl alcohol will attack some forms of plastic, rubber, and coatings.

* Flammability - The National Fire Protection Association has assigned a flammability rating of 3 (severe fire hazard) to isopropyl alcohol.

Doesn't sound all that safe to me .. but like I said, I'm no chemist. Can someone reassure me that this is all okay?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the NM is sold in all major pet supply companies. Foster & Smith tests their products as far as I know, so if it was not safe, they would not sell it!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well the NM is sold in all major pet supply companies. Foster & Smith tests their products as far as I know, so if it was not safe, they would not sell it!
I'm not the most trusting person (anymore) when it comes to claims by companies wanting to sell me their products

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if it would work on barf stains, but I know that vodka (cheap works well) does clean pee stains very well. Apparently it also works on the odors in cat pee, and even skunk (a friend of mine got sprayed and washed her clothes with vodka and said it worked). So that may work. Should be low enough alcohol content not to be flammable, though I certainly wouldn't allow the cats to get into it while it's still wet. All the alcohol will evaporate, though, so it shouldn't leave any residual bad things in the carpet. (I got the tip from a cat book, so it's not just an old wives tale.
)

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Okay, so I just looked at the Nature's Miracle. It claims to be non-toxic and non-flammable. I'm not a chemist, but I looked up the MSDS on one of the ingredients, isopropyl.

According to the MSDS:

1. Conditions contributing to instability: Heat, sparks, or flame.

2. Incompatibilities: Contact between isopropyl alcohol and air may result in the formation of dangerous peroxides. Isopropyl alcohol is incompatible with strong oxidizers, acetaldehyde, chlorine, ethylene oxide, acids, and isocyanates.

3. Hazardous decomposition products: Toxic gases such as carbon monoxide may be released in a fire involving isopropyl alcohol.

4. Special precautions: Isopropyl alcohol will attack some forms of plastic, rubber, and coatings.

* Flammability - The National Fire Protection Association has assigned a flammability rating of 3 (severe fire hazard) to isopropyl alcohol.

Doesn't sound all that safe to me .. but like I said, I'm no chemist. Can someone reassure me that this is all okay?
Well Im not a chemist but I have 3 upper year university courses in Organic Chemistry, and I missed a minor in biochemistry by only one credit. This is all okay, I reassure you. The hazard information on isopropyl alcohol would matter to the people manufacturing the product, as they actualy deal with sufficient quantities to be wary. That is why MSDS's are "ingredient" specific, and not generally necessary for the public (though, it is good to be informed when using a pure or dangerous chemical like bleach). Even when you buy 70% rubbing alcohol, theres very little danger. It is quite flammable at that level, but if you keep it away from an open flame, thats not going to be a problem. Anyways, Natures Miracle is nowhere near that concentrated, its almost entirely water. The small amount of isopropyl alcohol in this product (it comes AFTER enzymes which in a research lab are used in MICROLITRE (1/1000 mL) volumes) is nowhere near the amount that would need special concern.
Additionally, since Isopropyl alcohol is classified as a dangerous good, the regulations are very strict for consumer products. You wouldnt be able to buy it if it were "dangerous"....

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OH!
re: the barf stain thing....
If your "usual methods" ever involved hot or warm water, Id actually recomment giving up. Best thing for a protein stain (aside: once I worked at an amusement park, and learned the PC term for vomit is 'protein spill') is cold water and plain detergent (laundry soap eg)...Even at relatively low water temperatures, you will literally cook the protein into the fibres of the fabric.
Same reason why hot water never gets blood stains out, no matter how many times you try.
I think natures miracle would be your best bet for a product to try...good luck!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Well Im not a chemist but I have 3 upper year university courses in Organic Chemistry, and I missed a minor in biochemistry by only one credit. This is all okay, I reassure you. The hazard information on isopropyl alcohol would matter to the people manufacturing the product, as they actualy deal with sufficient quantities to be wary. That is why MSDS's are "ingredient" specific, and not generally necessary for the public (though, it is good to be informed when using a pure or dangerous chemical like bleach). Even when you buy 70% rubbing alcohol, theres very little danger. It is quite flammable at that level, but if you keep it away from an open flame, thats not going to be a problem. Anyways, Natures Miracle is nowhere near that concentrated, its almost entirely water. The small amount of isopropyl alcohol in this product (it comes AFTER enzymes which in a research lab are used in MICROLITRE (1/1000 mL) volumes) is nowhere near the amount that would need special concern.
Additionally, since Isopropyl alcohol is classified as a dangerous good, the regulations are very strict for consumer products. You wouldnt be able to buy it if it were "dangerous"....
Thank you! I appreciate the detailed explanation, and definitely feel better about buying a bottle of Nature's Miracle to try.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

OH!
re: the barf stain thing....
If your "usual methods" ever involved hot or warm water, Id actually recomment giving up. Best thing for a protein stain (aside: once I worked at an amusement park, and learned the PC term for vomit is 'protein spill') is cold water and plain detergent (laundry soap eg)...Even at relatively low water temperatures, you will literally cook the protein into the fibres of the fabric.
Same reason why hot water never gets blood stains out, no matter how many times you try.
I think natures miracle would be your best bet for a product to try...good luck!
Oh boy. Well, it usually involves cool water and a bit of dawn detergent, but I can't say I never used warm water on it. I guess I'll get a bottle of nature's miracle and see what happens.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I don't know if it would work on barf stains, but I know that vodka (cheap works well) does clean pee stains very well. Apparently it also works on the odors in cat pee, and even skunk (a friend of mine got sprayed and washed her clothes with vodka and said it worked). So that may work. Should be low enough alcohol content not to be flammable, though I certainly wouldn't allow the cats to get into it while it's still wet. All the alcohol will evaporate, though, so it shouldn't leave any residual bad things in the carpet. (I got the tip from a cat book, so it's not just an old wives tale.
)
Interesting. I'll have to make a note of that.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

)
Drink the Vodka and then you won't notice the stains OR the smell!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the greatest spot remover ever made is Spot Shot. It gets out anything, including bloody poop (3 cats with giardia) and makeup (me.) I just use water afterward and I've never had a problem with the cats. I have 2 CRF'ers also.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Drink the Vodka and then you won't notice the stains OR the smell!
Best advice I've heard so far.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle. I have large dogs and when they get sick, they leave really big stains. Saturate the carpet and use a scrub brush to rub it through. Blot up the excess and let it dry. If it's not gone, repeat until it disappears.

Nature's Miracle works on anything organic in nature.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foster & Smith have been around a long time. I trust them - I've gotten lots of stuff and never have had a problem.