Purina ONE Natural Blends Adult Cat

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I have run into a problem. Karma loves Trader Joes dry food but, those of you who shop at Trader Joes will understand this, it is now out of stock. There is no date for it to return. IT could be tomorrow or it could be next week or next month. They have not discontinued it, it is just unavailable. Well this of corse had to happen right when Karma was about to run out of dry so off I went to Target. The Trader Joes food is $4.99 for a 4 pound bag so I need to stay around that price. What I found was Purina ONE Natural Blends Adult Cat Chicken & Oat Meal Formula. I like the fact that it is a natural food with no fillers, I know Purina is not the best of foods but I can not afford much more. This was $6.49 for a 3.3 pound bag, a bit more but still not horrable. She will be getting Wellness wet so atleast she is not getting all junk food.

Has anyone fed their cats Purina ONE Natural Blends? Do they like it? I still have a few days of her other food left so I can slowly switch by blending the two and wean her off Trader Joes brand. If she likes Purinas food I will stick with it. At least I know that I can get it anywhere at anytime of day.

Here are the ingredients of Purina Natural and a link to the site for more info.

Ingredients
Chicken, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, oat meal, brown rice, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), wheat gluten, whole grain corn, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, canola oil, soybean oil, salt, choline chloride, malted barley flour, dried cranberries, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

http://www.naturalblends.com/nat_cat_chick_info.asp

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Purina One Total Nutrition (adult cat) with chicken and rice. I like it for 2 reasons. The fact that the first ingredient listed is a MEAT, and not corn, and the price. I use to use Iams, but with foster kittens coming and going, the price just wasn't affordable anymore. (that's the second reason).

The only downside I have is that I can only find it at Wal-Mart, which isn't the easiest place to get in and out of.

My kitties love it and so do the kittens (Purina One Kitten)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In red WHY I wont feed it

Ingredients
ChickenThis is 66% water and falls to 5th or 6th ingrediant after cooking, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, oat meal, brown rice, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), wheat gluten, whole grain corn, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, canola oil, soybean oil, salt, choline chloride, malted barley flour, dried cranberries, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite

This is MOSTLY grain ... and multiple types... with by products ,....

may be natural in no artificial colors or flavors or preservatives but it is far from Premium in my book and costs the same as much higher quality foods

Sorry to give this but it just is not very good

yes MIX it with the current food

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it is pretty much crap. I WILL NOT feel my cats food with by-products, and wheat gluten. That food is SO grain heavy and only one meat in the ingredients?? No way.

Can you get Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul or Premium Edge near you? Here it is super cheap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Can you get Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul or Premium Edge near you? Here it is super cheap.
I looked at both of the web sites for the companies, and unfortunately neither are close to me. Premium Edge is not even available in San Diego. Chicken soup is available but the stores are all to far for me to get to. I don't drive and the car my DH has is not very reliable so we don't travel very far. I am going to go to the pet store a few blocks away and see what they have that I can afford. Does someone have any recomandations for food from Petsmart or Petco that is under 10 bucks for a bag? I won't be able to return the Purina food because we will not be going to that area for at least anouther month and we can't afford to buy something else so I have to use it. How bad will it be to switch her food again in a month. The next food will be the third food change in a month. I wish Wellness was cheaper so I could try the different flavors and find one she liked and could switch to that.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to point out that the higher sticker price isn't always high in the long run. Meaning that you may pay a slighly higher price but most cats eat less of that food there fore it last longer. I bought Ping a 4 lb bag of Timberwolf almost a month ago. And I am just now getting close to running out. The price was just under 10 buck for that amount. Which that breaks down to 2.50 per pound roughly. Also you can get it through them and if you spend over 15.00 the shipping is free.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I just wanted to point out that the higher sticker price isn't always high in the long run. Meaning that you may pay a slighly higher price but most cats eat less of that food there fore it last longer. I bought Ping a 4 lb bag of Timberwolf almost a month ago. And I am just now getting close to running out. The price was just under 10 buck for that amount. Which that breaks down to 2.50 per pound roughly. Also you can get it through them and if you spend over 15.00 the shipping is free.
2.50lb is ALOT ... I try to stay under 2 and many good foods are 1.00-2.00 lb

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess for me it just doesn't seem like a lot. Unless I wanna pay out of the you know what for shipping I have to go with what the price is here locally.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
with the Purina you are paying roughly $1.96 a pound. I pay roughly $1.66 per pound of Wellness. And my cats would eat much less of the Wellness than they would of the Purina. So a higher price tag doesn't really mean it costs more in the long run. Purina is a pretty terrible food IMO, and I would not feed it. If you are feeding Wellness cans then you must have access to a store that carries higher quality foods. Go in with your calculator and compare prices. I bet you can find one that will work for you. Chicken Soup would be great, as is Wellness, California Natural, Innova, Natural Balance (which is available at Petco).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have Wal Mart nearby? What about their Maximum brand? I guess, I prefer Purina ONE in general to the Purina Naturals, if that is the route you must go.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Max cat or Natural choice is about or under 10$ at both for the smaller size 3-6lbs

Authority is under 10$

Natural balence is about 10 on sale

Solid gold is about 10

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the ideas. I will look into all the brands and see if the store I buy the Wellness cans at carries any of the others. The store the cans come from charges $25 for the smallest bag of Wellness dry. When I was there the rep was in and I over heard him telling the owner that with the clientell in my neighborhood they could charge $5-10 more. The people in my neighborhood will pay any price for a name brand, its quite sickning. They charge .95 cents for one can of Wellness. I only buy it there when I have to otherwise I have a girlfriend pick it up for me, in her neighborhood the cans run .79 for the 3oz size and dry is 18.99 for the smallest bag. I just can't afford that much up front. I know by breaking it down it becomes cheaper but unfortunatly I can't buy food in instalments. My DH and I have been talking about it alot tonight and we are going to try and readjust our budget to at least be able to spend $15 a bag. I found a discount place on line that carries Wellness dry for $15.99 a bag plus free shiping so if we can swing it we will do that. I just don't want to relly on haveing to have her food shipped. Anything can go wrong and with my luck it will. I would prefer to be able to at least hold the product before I buy it. When I go to the pet stores tomorrow, I was looking in the phone book and just found that we have about 4 all within walking distance, I will take the food list with me. I will also write down what brands they carry and get some opinions before I buy anything. I do have a month so I can research them well. I will also talk with the owner/manager and see if they can look into carrying one of the brands if need be.

White Cat Lover, no there is no Walmart near by. The one we have is just far enough away that we only can get there every few months. Next time I go I will look into the food there and see if I can get enough to last 2-4 months at a fair price.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you get nutro anywhere?

It's one of the foods i use with my 3.. price wise i consider it good but i am in a different country so things are all priced quite differently.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nutro max goes on sale A LOT at the stores here (petco/petsmart). often the big bags go on sale so it's $1/lb or less ($20 for 20lb bag). authority is supposed to be good too (we've never tried it). i looked at their senior formula which was $10 for a 8-10lb bag (can't remember the exact size).

nutro natural also goes on sale for about $25 for a 20lb bag regularly.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The $15.99 with free shipping sounds good. What I would do is buy 2 bags to start off with and always keep an unopened bag around, in case the shipment didn't come on time or something. But most of the pet food places are pretty reliable, just make sure to put your order in on time. I would definitely look for Chicken Soup, as its very affordable and had great ingredients.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have any store nearby that sells nutro, you might be able to get samples to try. There is a Pet Supermarket close to where I live and they have little Nutro Sample packages all over the place.

I've also gotten good size sample bags of Innova, Evo, Chicken Soup, and California Natural from another place nearby.

There was a thread on here about a free Wellness sample. I don't know if it's still valid. I got one, but my cats wouldn't touch it. Here is the link. It says good through June 30 as long as supplies last.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...light=Wellness

I wonder if you can call the companies and ask them to send you samples? I've never tried that.

Good luck!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats purina one, sensitive system and adult chicken and rice. When it is on sale at Trader JOes, it is around .50 to .70 cents a pound. My cats like it, and they look and act healthy. they get wet too.
I mean is superior to many of the really cheapo foods like meow mix etc. So I think it is a good midrange choice.

I realize this may not be considered a premium food, but I am trying to maintain a budget, and with some of these Premium foods, the skys the limit.
You have to do what fits into your lifestyle.

My cats did not like the natural purina, turned up their noses. I got a free sample of wellness, and they didn't like that either. They didn't like the trader Joe's holistic either.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Sharky, Purina is really not a good food. I would never want to feed my cats some of those ingredients- byproducts and poor quality fillers.

Chicken, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, oat meal, brown rice, whole grain wheat, animal fat, wheat gluten, whole grain corn, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, canola oil, soybean oil, salt, choline chloride, malted barley flour, dried cranberries, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Here are the definitions of some of the ingredients. (http://www.naturapet.com/tools/ingredient.asp?alpha=W)

Corn gluten meal is the dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm.

Corn gluten meal is a low ash source of protein and acts as a urine acidifier in some of our cat food formulas. Cats vs Dogs: While not the best quality source of protein, the use of corn gluten in small amounts offer preventive health benefits for cats. In addition, unlike dogs, cats do not usually show signs of allergic reactions to corn products.

Poultry by-product meal consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcasses of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

This is a low-quality, inconsistent ingredient, with multiple organs used, constantly changing proportions, and questionable nutritional value. The origin can be any fowl (turkeys, ducks, geese, buzzards, etc.), instead of a single source, like chicken.

Animal fat is obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

Animal fat is a by-product of meat meal processing. The origin of the contributing animals is never known, and the resulting oil is very low in linoleic acid -- an essential fatty acid that is important for skin and coat health. Natura uses high quality chicken fat which has the highest levels of linoleic acid.

Wheat gluten is the tough, viscid nitrogenous substance remaining when wheat is washed to remove the starch.

Wheat gluten is a cheap by-product of human food processing, the result of washing wheat and letting the starchy liquid dry. It offers almost no nutritional value, and serves mostly to bind the food together.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, just pointing out what is really in these foods.