Really cool

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having coffee in my yard, admiring my flowers, when I saw what I though was a cat until it came out farther, it was a red Fox. It was really cool, probably lives in the cemetery close by. I feel bad though, because this is suburbia, and there can't be many places for him to live and hunt. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen the rabbit lately.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I was having coffee in my yard, admiring my flowers, when I saw what I though was a cat until it came out farther, it was a red Fox. It was really cool, probably lives in the cemetery close by. I feel bad though, because this is suburbia, and there can't be many places for him to live and hunt. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen the rabbit lately.
i love foxes- they're soo beautiful!!! we recently had several little red foxes at our shelter that we were able to release in a safe area. (bartlett- where i'm at is right outside of memphis- it's less populated than memphis but is still pretty busy- however there's plenty of woodsy areas where our wildlife lurks/lives so i'm sure the little fox you saw has shelter somewhere!
) if you're worried about it though- you could see if you could borrow/rent a trap from your local shelter (our shelter lends them out) and trap it (use soft dog food as your bait). then you could have them release the little guy in a safer location

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Foxes are cool! I've always seen them in urban areas though. Seems more and more wildlife are pushed into urban areas these days.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Foxes are cool! I've always seen them in urban areas though. Seems more and more wildlife are pushed into urban areas these days.
we even have coyotes around where i live, only about an hour south of Cleveland

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get all sorts Gail, but I have Fairmount park in my back yard & the side of my house.... creatures make it through the fence & into my trash every day....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so cool! The only time I saw a fox in the wild was for the first time last summer while vacationing in Maine.

The funny part about it was the person we were all staying with (my friend's aunt) had her dog out there. The dog spotted the fox, froze and then shot off in the opposite direction.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

...if you're worried about it though- you could see if you could borrow/rent a trap from your local shelter (our shelter lends them out) and trap it (use soft dog food as your bait). then you could have them release the little guy in a safer location
From experience, I have to warn you. An agitated fox uses the same defense a skunk uses. He will spray musk and then everything stinks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From experience, I have to warn you. An agitated fox uses the same defense a skunk uses. He will spray musk and then everything stinks!
That is interesting, my tenant told me they did that, and I thought she was nuts. We have had skunks around, not lately, but she said she was smelling them, but now she thinks she was smelling the fox. I don't know how often he comes into my yard. First time I saw one, I've been here 10 years. I think he lives in the cemetary.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever heard a fox calling for a mate? Talk about something scary sounding!! They are super loud and almost sound like a woman screaming!