How blinking stupid can you be!?!?!?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Burning garbage tonight....bent over tossing stuff on....when.....

KABOOM

An aerosol can explodes!!!
I was a blinking 5 feet away from the fire!!! There is no hair on the front of either legs, no hair on the top of one of my arms, & a small patch of hair on my head is slightly shorter!! I've got a few old injuries on my legs that look blistered, too. Another reason why I have to go to the doctor tomorrow! Thank god it wasn't any worse!! I jumped & spun pretty quick....so I think I got lucky. I heard it sizzling(the noise it makes right before it blows) so I reacted & started to run away.

And I know who forgot & put the aerosol can in the garabage bag!!

How can you "forget" after so many years & put an aerosol can in the garbage when you know it's gonna blow!! My dad was pretty upset...I smelt like burned hair. After a shower & an entire tube of neosporin all over me arms & legs....I look pretty good.

Just a reminder to all....be careful when burning anything!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg!!! sweetie- i am sooooo greatful you're ok!!!!!!! please take care of those burns so they don't get infected!! bless your heart! burns can be painful!!!
i feel soo fortunate that we have garbage pick up in our area and don't have to burn!! I am glad you're ok

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
EEOOOWWW!! Oh god i'm glad you're okay! I think you dad need's a bit of a poke!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've always burnt our garbage! Never been a problem, everyone knows an aerosol can will explode in a fire!
I made a box to put next to the kitchen garbage can labeled "Aerosol cans" so this will never happen again!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right, you're more rural than urban right?

It's illegal to burn garbage in MI as well, but if you go out to the country side (farmlands) you'll see some smoke coming from somewhere in the middle of no where

That really sucks too...I'm glad to hear you're overall OK. Just think - you won't have to worry about waxing.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'm glad to hear you're overall OK. Just think - you won't have to worry about waxing.
There's always a bright side!

Glad you're OK Natalie.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am beyond rural. Google "the middle of nowhere" & my farm place aught to show up.
Actually, we have several burn pits!

Thinking back...one of the dogs was "helping" me carry out garbage She freaked & hid behind a tree. I could've seen it coming sooner if I'd been more aware of my surroundings. Now, I'm just thankful nothing worse happened!

My legs look good. The blisters are really small. My arm hair isn't singed near as bad as it could've been, either.

But, the one aerosol can set out to burn....was still there when we were done? Otherwise, we haven't thrown out any other aerosol cans, so we're still trying to figure out what blew up!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, I'm glad you're ok! Thank goodness you were observent and got out of the way! I stay FAR away from our burn piles, but we only burn paper, cardbord and whatnot. I still do not like fire (but I will sit at a safe distance and watch it forever!).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was tossing more things on to burn which is why I was so close. It was mostly just papers, boxes, and a bag of NB that was recalled.

Can an empty plastic bottle(like a juice bottle) with the lid screwed on explode in a fire?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I was tossing more things on to burn which is why I was so close. It was mostly just papers, boxes, and a bag of NB that was recalled.

Can an empty plastic bottle(like a juice bottle) with the lid screwed on explode in a fire?
I think it can if there is enough air trapped inside.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps there was a bottle in there?
It's bugging me what blew like that! I think everyone here always puts a hole in the bottle if it must be burned, but otherwise we recycle them, so I dunno why one would've been in the garbage.....