Friendly strays and TNR

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, a little cow cat wandered up to my backyard. The neighbors say she's been seen for the last 6 months, and was definitely outside in the snow. She's very friendly as strays go (pet is ok, pickup gets her nervous). No collar, somewhat thin, but refused canned food. She looks under a year old.

I can't take in another cat right now though. I was wondering about starting a neighborhood TNR with her. The thing is, she would be great to be adopted and probably would be friendlier under foster care. However, the shelters probably don't have space, and she seems to have been born feral.

Is it ethical to TNR a feral cat that theoretically could be given a home if there was one available?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

So, a little cow cat wandered up to my backyard. The neighbors say she's been seen for the last 6 months, and was definitely outside in the snow. She's very friendly as strays go (pet is ok, pickup gets her nervous). No collar, somewhat thin, but refused canned food. She looks under a year old.

I can't take in another cat right now though. I was wondering about starting a neighborhood TNR with her. The thing is, she would be great to be adopted and probably would be friendlier under foster care. However, the shelters probably don't have space, and she seems to have been born feral.

Is it ethical to TNR a feral cat that theoretically could be given a home if there was one available?
An outdoor cat is an outdoor cat..if she has no home, then she should be trapped, spayed and then returned. If after TNRed, you can find a home for her..good for you.

Katie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Doing TNR is of course better then not doing nothing at all. Besides, TNR will give her somewhat better chance for spontaneous adoption by good people. As the costly surgery is already done.

But I do firmly believe a good TNR setting should also include a programme for taking in some of the catched cats. The obvious ones are apparently tame cats; dumped or gotting astray. And young kittens as those are easy to socialize and fairly easy to get adopted. The in-between cats - semiferal, long-term homeless, etcetera - depending on possibilities and resources.

This one should of course be taken in by a good TNR-programme.

But if you cant, so you cant...

Better some than nothing. She was living alone in wintry snow, friendly and young. Yet nobody did helped her. There is nothing to wait for. It wont be better but may - will - get worse...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

An outdoor cat is an outdoor cat..if she has no home, then she should be trapped, spayed and then returned. If after TNRed, you can find a home for her..good for you.

Katie
I absolutely agree. Get her spayed and start advertising for a home for her. Eventually you will place her and in the mean time, she isn't adding to the homeless pet problem by becoming pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call the borough and see what I can do. There's a borough regulation that says animals can not roam freely outside (including cats). There are a few that let there cats outdoors, but most people have indoors cats. This is the only stray/feral I know of in the neighborhood, but I'm sure we've got a couple hiding in the more wooded areas.

I'd like to get her spayed and vaccinated, and at least one other neighbor is willing to pitch in. Hopefully the borough will go for it. Poor thing really deserves a good home.