I need to keep a large cut on the bottom of my foot from getting infected?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Macey, one of my dogs, ripped up my foot pretty good. I'm missing a 1" circle of skin on the bottom of one of my toes. I'm having a really hard time keeping it clean.

I've been using peroxide to clean it. I also bought finger bandages to try. But man....it really hurts! It's on the toe next to my pinky toe, right against my foot. Any ideas on how to help it heal & keep it clean?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try finger cots (they actually look like condoms, but aren't) roll it over the injury area and it should keep everything relatively clean. Hubby uses the finger cots for a skin irritation he has on his hands.
http://www.fingercots.net/

You can get them at your local pharmacy

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Macey, one of my dogs, ripped up my foot pretty good. I'm missing a 1" circle of skin on the bottom of one of my toes. I'm having a really hard time keeping it clean.

I've been using peroxide to clean it. I also bought finger bandages to try. But man....it really hurts! It's on the toe next to my pinky toe, right against my foot. Any ideas on how to help it heal & keep it clean?
OUCH! I think Neosporin would be a good idea and keep it bandaged. Maybe you could let it breath through a clean sock when you're in bed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch, 1 inch?
sounds painful.

It's best not to keep using peroxide, it will eat away good tissue as well as bad. Wash regularly with an anti bacterial soap, use an antibiotic ointment and try the different bandaids suggested. Maybe even consider using gauze and medical tape to make your own bandage if the others don't fit the area.
And of course keep the shoes off at home so they don't rub on it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When i had foot surgery a few years back here's what i did. I'd clean the area really good -then put on a thick later of polysporin. Next came the gauze (get the kinds that won't stick to the wound!!)

(the bandages i used were similar to the last two on the bottom of this page http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...esiveBandages/ - i think the ones i got were actually "band-aid" ones but i don't remember. they were water proof, quite large, and VERY adhesive (good for the bottom of feet!).) keep in mind the entire bottom of my left foot was cut open and that area was not one they could stitch up so i had a huge open wound for months- same on my left food but not as bad.

Then i'd take some soft take (the kind that adheres to the tape itself but won't hurt your skin and wrap that well around the site. Next, i put on socks on top of that to keep everything out of the site that might make it worse. (I had two boot casts on at the same time- so i put on one layer of plain white socks then some really thick socks over that) - it REALLY helped!!! Also- ask your doctor about taking Z-pac or other antibiotics as a preventative so it won't get infected!
I hope your foot feels better soon!! Keep the site REALLY clean!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is polysporin the same as neosporin?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually put some sort of cream on it, then put a bandaid over it. Then I take tissues or gauze and wrap it around the toe for protection.
Then I cover all that with a nice breathable sock. That usually works for me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I think it may be a Canadian thing or somthing... that's my excuse for everything!
I've just never heard of polysproin, but I've got like 8 tubes of Neosporin(I'm sorta prone to big nasty cuts!).

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Bandaid Wash - you get it at Shopko or any store like that. I think its by Johnson & Johnson - in a clear bottle w/ blue fluid. I used it when I piereced the cartlidge in my ear and it really works awesome. John used it when he cut his finger the other day and he said it worked really well