Cat aggressively licking a kitten?

kittylovinkrys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a stray pregnant cat who gave birth to her kittens 4.5 weeks ago. I've been trying to introduce them to my resident cat in hopes that they'll have more play area. They are currently confined to my bedroom and my resident cat only ventures in every now and then. He gets along with the mother and sometimes rough houses her, but they seem to get along just fine, no hissing or swatting.

When I change the kittens bedding I allow my resident cat Shaggy smell it. He doesn't hiss or get growly. I've introduced the most adventurous kitten to Shaggy and he aggressively sniffs and then licks him. Is this good, because I swear he looks at him like he's dinner and starts drooling. I'm afraid he's going to bite the kitten. I still have them separated, but I allow Shaggy to sniff and lick them every now and then under my intense supervision.

Suggestions? Comments? Is the aggressive sniffing and licking okay? Will it calm down?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyLovinKrys

I adopted a stray pregnant cat who gave birth to her kittens 4.5 weeks ago. I've been trying to introduce them to my resident cat in hopes that they'll have more play area. They are currently confined to my bedroom and my resident cat only ventures in every now and then. He gets along with the mother and sometimes rough houses her, but they seem to get along just fine, no hissing or swatting.

When I change the kittens bedding I allow my resident cat Shaggy smell it. He doesn't hiss or get growly. I've introduced the most adventurous kitten to Shaggy and he aggressively sniffs and then licks him. Is this good, because I swear he looks at him like he's dinner and starts drooling. I'm afraid he's going to bite the kitten. I still have them separated, but I allow Shaggy to sniff and lick them every now and then under my intense supervision.

Suggestions? Comments? Is the aggressive sniffing and licking okay? Will it calm down?
I think what you are doing is exactly what is best for your cat to be ok with the new cat and kittens, as you stated under intense supervision...... If you feel any concern about over attentive actions, then trust your instincts and cut in, separate and give both sides attention to divert any aggressive or negative feelings/behaviors. The fact that you took in a pregnant kitty is commended, although, the most important thing is has she been to a vet!!!!!!!!! I only stress this to the extreme because she could carry numerous problems to you, your home, and your kitty! It is extremely important to have all vet checked if not at this point, if this has been done, then I commend you ! Trust your instincts, if it seems overly attentive or aggressive then cut in, if possible calm your kitty down, tell him to be nice and let him know when he is being good! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylovinkrys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

, the most important thing is has she been to a vet!!!!!!!!! I only stress this to the extreme because she could carry numerous problems to you, your home, and your kitty! It is extremely important to have all vet checked if not at this point, if this has been done, then I commend you !
Yup! She's been to the vet and checked for fleas and FELV/FIV all neg. The only thing I'm not sure of is worms, however I took her in 2 weeks ago for her second round of wormer and took in a fecal sample then and I haven't heard anything so woo hoo!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have taken all precautions and your concerns are nothing to ignore, just keep up the parental guidance, PG
and you will have a whole lot a love commin your way! I am sure there is already ......