cat grass, are they worthwhile?

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Noticed nowadays you can purchase quite a few types of grass already grown for cats.. years ago you could get only trays and grow your owned which we tried but it failed horribly

Anyways, does anyone find these worthwhile? all my cats are indoors, however they are not plant chewers.. so dunno whether i want to encourage it either BUT perhaps being they are strictly indoor pets the grass would be beneficial?

TY!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They aren't missing out on anything by not having grass but I don't think it would encourage them to chew on plants either. Neither of my cats chew plants... that is unless I have a spider plant. I can not keep spider plants alive becasue Frankie will eat it down to nubs. Wickett doesn't bother any plants and he was also disinterested in the cat grass the one time I tried it.

crazykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the cat grass with Cassie, and she wouldn't touch it. I ended up just tossing it outside for the critters.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seb loves the grass. Perhaps it is because he was indoor/outdoor for so long and became used to having it around. I grow it for him because he likes it
It is easy for me to grow, too.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of mine would eat the cat grass, whether it was purchased already grown or I grew it in the tub.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does this answer your question?

He liked it so much he killed both plants. And no he doesn't eat the other house plant.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

He liked it so much he killed both plants. And no he doesn't eat the other house plant.
I have to plant the seeds in a stoneware pot. The little plastic bowl that came with the seeds was great, but when trying to take a bite, Seb would pick up the entire thing
So had to plant it in something that can take his tearing.

Love this photo

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I have to plant the seeds in a stoneware pot. The little plastic bowl that came with the seeds was great, but when trying to take a bite, Seb would pick up the entire thing
So had to plant it in something that can take his tearing.

Love this photo
Yeah see I tried that too. The second pot even was tall so he couldn't stick his head completely down that far... Or so I thought. He pulled each strand out one by one.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought a type that you grow yourself in a bag that lies flat and when it grew, the cats were all over it but just pulling out the grass strand by strand...

Recently I thought I'd try it again. So I purchased a different package, it stands up a lot higher than that other one and the grass grew much nice b/c it had me poke holes in the bottom for drainage...

The cats love it. One will "mow it down" half way. The other nibble on pieces I cut for her. It's pretty funny.

I don't mind having it around and it seems to entertain them.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind when it pulls it out strand by strand. When he goes to pull a strand and the entire little plastic pot of grass is hanging from his mouth - that's when I decided to plant the grass in a heavy pot

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Neither of my cats chew plants... that is unless I have a spider plant. I can not keep spider plants alive becasue Frankie will eat it down to nubs.
I wonder if spider plants taste especially good to cats?
Sho, who usually doesn't give house plants a second look, tried to eat one a few months ago. I say tried because I caught him and rescued the poor plant, it's now kept out of his reach.

I've planted cat grass for the boys, neither of them seemed terribly interested in actually eating it. Tomas did enjoy pulling it out, blade by blade, and spitting it into a pile by the pot. I think the dull 'plunk' noise it made as it pulled free must have entertained him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I may give some of it a try, years ago with my DSH Ashley i tried the grow from seed type and that was a disaster..

My dolls have not tried any before..i think i'll try the already planted type tho?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Sho, who usually doesn't give house plants a second look, tried to eat one a few months ago. I say tried because I caught him and rescued the poor plant, it's now kept out of his reach.
It is like a delicacy to cats... spider plants and ponytail palm.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

i think they do.
raven and nabu destroyed a beautiful solid green spider plant i had, when i first got them. that plant was down to 2 leaves, so i rehomed it with my mom. whose cats for some reason leave her plants alone.
my other plants (4 of them) live high on an inaccessible shelf. especially the tasty-to-cats verigated spider plant.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I planted some oat cat grass for my kitties this spring. It took about 2 days for the seeds to germinate and about a week for it to reach edible size. We've had to mow it once, but I think the cats now have the hang of it. At first, I only set the container down for a couple of minutes, but now, they have free access....

Hosted on Fotki

BTW, that's Hannah chowing down, but my other kitty, Callie was the one who figured out how to get to the grass!

Stephanie

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there different types to buy? We have just moved house and have only mud in the back garden at the moment. I have bought two trays for Dillon and he used to love eating it in the back garden in the old house, he wont touch this stuff (full of all its lovely minerals etc.) I am about to go out in the car and stop and dig up the embankment!
Chris